UKC

Staple Edge Quarry in need of clean up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Pylon King 30 Sep 2014
 riddle 30 Sep 2014
In reply to The Pylon King:

Count me in.

Reach>Talent 30 Sep 2014
In reply to riddle:

And me.
 Shapeshifter 30 Sep 2014
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Me too....I'll bring a trowel.
 whenry 30 Sep 2014
In reply to The Pylon King: I'm not around much over the next six weeks, but I'll help if I can.
 Dave Williams 30 Sep 2014
 james.slater 30 Sep 2014

Tried climbing here not too long ago, was keen for paper clip slab amongst others, but almost every route was totally unclimbable! Will get down and help clean it up if I have some time over the next few weekends!
 The Ivanator 30 Sep 2014

Some cleaning is definitely required - but that photo is a bit of a cheeky sales pitch ...having climbed there on Sunday and done some minor cleaning myself I know that shot is one from the PK archives!
If cleaning days are planned I'll be along if available, perhaps post suggested dates to this thread, it is a great venue when clean and dry.
Right now the trees are still greener than in the photo and although moss is encroaching on the "Baran" slab and the slab with "No birds do sing" the start of "The Quarry Effect" (pictured) is actually not too bad. Brambles on "Butch and Sundance" need dealing with and in general cracks and ledges need brushing/scraping to remove peaty debris.
 bpmclimb 30 Sep 2014
In reply to The Ivanator:

I'll join in with a Staple edge cleaning effort. I've been meaning to do that for a while now - as well as have a closer look at that roof problem.
 riddle 01 Oct 2014

The moss cover the start of Baran and Grendel's Mother only adds to the excitement. Rub away enough moss and hope the rock underneath is enough to make the move.

Yep, that was how it was before we developed it.

Well spotted

The Ivanator 04 Oct 2014

Must have been some serious man hours involved in the original cleaning effort, good work! Would be a shame to let the crag slip back into that state.

Yes it was! and in sub zero temperatures and snow!!

we were mad for it.
 bpmclimb 06 Oct 2014

> Yes it was! and in sub zero temperatures and snow!!

> we were mad for it.

One day at Staple Edge sticks in my memory; it was several degrees below zero but I had built up a lot of heat and sweat from the cleaning work - I must have been continuously on the abseil rope for a couple of hours at least. When I came down my waterproof trousers froze onto me and it was actually quite hard to walk - bit like that scene from the end of Terminator 2
 mikej 11 Oct 2014

I drove past the parking area yesterday and remembered this thread. I have never been to Staple Edge but it is one of my nearest crags. You can count me in for a spot of cleaning. I live only 15 minutes for the parking area and I am available mid week if required.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...