UKC

breakdown cover

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 buzby 01 Oct 2014
after being a member of the rac for about 10 years I had to call on them last year for the first time.
I was most unimpressed and I am thinking of binning them as my renewal is up. took them 3 hours to attend to change a wheel as the wheel nuts had seized into place and couldn't be shifted with a normal wheel brace.although the guy got the job done pretty fast this was about mid afternoon on a good weather day mid week and I though 3 hrs was a bit crap for one of the big two companies considering it was right in the central belt of Scotland.
I could drive across the country in that time.
anyway was looking at green flag who seem to do it for half the price, anyone used them or recommend a good one that's not the rac.
I really need it as I carry around two grandkids a lot and wouldn't fancy a breakdown on the motorway with them in it in winter with no cover.
 Tall Clare 01 Oct 2014
In reply to buzby:

Did you complain to the RAC? I've been with them for years and have had mostly really good service from them - yes, I know I'm female so they're more likely to respond faster to my callout, but even so.

I did have one terrible RAC incident when I broke down on the motorway in my brother's car, some fault to do with a dodgy fuel line. The RAC man was really aggressive about why I didn't know when the car had last been filled with fuel (there was plenty in the tank), insisted on talking to the Highways man instead of me, and then when trying to fix the car thought it was okay to stand on the accelerator and let the engine scream as it was held at the rev limit. I put in a complaint about him at the time (those little survey things) and later, by telephone, as he pissed me off so much.
OP buzby 01 Oct 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

Hi Clare, I kicked up about it at the time but got fobbed off with no real excuse or reason why it was going to take 3 hours.
to be honest if it had been a bank holiday or the middle of the night or widespread bad weather I could understand it but it wasn't any of these.
I was only 20 miles from Glasgow in a fairly big residential area.
anyway being ME I've decided to take my dosh elsewhere.
considering the AA now as ive had a look at the green flag reviews and while they are cheaper they seem a bit hit and miss with the service.
 Tall Clare 01 Oct 2014
In reply to buzby:

I know there used to be one called something like AutoAid where you paid upfront then claimed it back, which was supposed to be very good as it used lots of independents. Not sure if it's still around. I think I'd go AA if I wasn't with RAC.
 Denzil 01 Oct 2014
In reply to buzby:
have been with Green Flag for many years. On the few occasions we have needed them we didn't have any complaints about the timing or service. Because we have personal cover, we are covered for any vehicle we are in, including my motorbike for which I used them once.
Post edited at 20:53
OP buzby 01 Oct 2014
In reply to Denzil:

I also kind of considered nothing at all, in the past 10 years ive only used it once and probably spent close to a grand on cover in that time.
would definitely have been cheaper putting it in the bank but unsure if you called them up if they would attend for cash if your not a member.
However not sure what a transport back from Skye or the like to Ayrshire would be. seriously expensive I imagine.
 Queenie 01 Oct 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

> I know there used to be one called something like AutoAid where you paid upfront then claimed it back, which was supposed to be very good as it used lots of independents. Not sure if it's still around.

It is and I've used it. Worked well and they paid me back quickly. Under £40 for a wide-ranging cover.
 marsbar 01 Oct 2014
In reply to buzby:

I left the rac for the aa many years ago when they decided it was politically incorrect to triage their call outs.

I have called them quite a few times over the years and have always been very very impressed. Most recently my clutch failed about a month ago, they checked that I was in a safe place and not in the car, arrived when they said they would, (about 20 mins) kept me updated by text while I was waiting, and dropped the car off at the garage whilst I went to work.
m0unt41n 01 Oct 2014
In reply to buzby:

You might find your bank / building soc does a package including breakdown. Nationwide does a current account at £10/month which provides breakdown cover for all cars in the house, mobile phone cover for all phones, worldwide travel insurance (with trekking up to 5,400m) etc it was cheaper than just the breakdown cover for my car and my wife's car let alone all the other bits.
 Dax H 01 Oct 2014
In reply to buzby:

Green flag all the way. I have 10 vans covered by them and only once in 10 years has it taken them longer than 1 hour to attend and that time was the day of the first snow fall of winter and all of Leeds turned in to a giant carpark.
Because it took them 3 hours (I told them not to bother until the next day as I could walk anyway) I got a £10 rebate.
 Mal Grey 01 Oct 2014
In reply to buzby:

Been in the AA for most of 20+ years. Called out 3 times, two quick fixes and quick responses, one more terminal and in remoter area. All good experiences, as much as a dead engine can be good.

The only negative is the ridiculous "renewal dance" I go through every year, when I get the renewal notice and ring them up to get them to match the RAC "new member" price which is 30% cheaper or I'll leave. And they always do.

KellyKettle 02 Oct 2014
In reply to buzby:
I had green flag for a couple of years, I found the fact that they rely on a network of local garages to be a major bonus, much greater chance of a roadside repair for minor issues especially on old cars. Always quick efficient and cheap too!

I then bought a modern car and looking at high prospective repair costs I opted for AA with repair cover (up to £500 three times a year), I've used them twice in the last month, once for DMF/Clutch failure and once for power steering leak... Both times recovered in under an hour and no trouble getting the parts and labour back from AA Warranty. Very impressed!
Post edited at 13:51
 john spence 02 Oct 2014
In reply to buzby:

"The Green Insurance Company". Been with them 5 years, used them three times and can't fault them. £58. for full cover including European.Always respond within an hour always sort out the problem. Was previously with Green Flag, no problems with them just more expensive.
 katharine 02 Oct 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

I use AutoAid and have had to use them on several occasions. They've always been excellent. It's about £40 for fully comprehensive cover but it's a pay and claim system. They use a local garage who'll try and fix it or take you where you want to go then you send off a form and claim it back. I've always used a credit card (for the protection and delay in actually forking out) and they've always paid me back (by cheque) within a week of me sending off the form.
 mypyrex 02 Oct 2014
In reply to buzby:
I used to have "breakdown cover" through my bank account but I then found out it wasn't worth the paper it was written on.

I'm now with Britannia through LV= and I pay about £80 for me and Mrs in either her car or mine or any vehicle in which either of us happen to be. OK they contract out but I've no complaint about them.
Post edited at 17:24
 Hooo 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

I've used AutoAid a few times and been very pleased with the service.
I have a long list of "AA are shit" stories, and I wouldn't touch them or RAC with a bargepole.
 imkevinmc 03 Oct 2014
In reply to buzby:

I think you'll find a very different reaction if you're broken down on the motorway with young children.

My experience earlier this year, in similar circumstances to you (vehicle immobilised in a non urgent situation), was very good. They turned up within 45 minutes and spent nearly an hour resolving the situation.

So I'll be sticking with them.
 Trangia 03 Oct 2014
In reply to buzby:

I've been with Green Flag for a number of years now having switched from RAC as my car insurers had a special premium deal with them. They have been excellent, including the Christmas before last when my ex broke down in a snow storm. They couldn't reach her, but sub contracted the job to the AA who had a land rover in the area, and did an excecellent recovery job.

I hadn't realised that the various breakdown companies have an inter company agreement with each other to help in such circumstances.
 wilkie14c 03 Oct 2014
In reply to buzby:

Not aimed directly at you but all motorists should be able to perform some basic tasks on their vehicle when needed. Wheel nuts do seize on (as you know) but this can be prevented a lot of the time. Fast fit tyre places often wizz up the nuts with an impact gun and this can far exceed the reccomended torque limit of the nut. After visiting one of these places it can help to slacken off affected wheel nuts and retighten them youself, At least you know you'll have a chance of getting them off again. Wheel braces in modern cars are woefully poor these days and nowhere near long enough to provide the leverage you need, swap it for your own brace that you can pick up cheaply at a motor factors. Using the spare as a bumper weight on the end of a brace will often shock the nut into turning. Alloy wheels and steel hubs are often siezed together even with all nuts removed and there is a trick to free it if you are confident. If your alloy wheel has welded itself to the hub, put all nuts/bolts back on all the way in and just slacken them one turn, set off driving upto 5 mph then bang on the brakes, hard. The cars sudden loss of momentum should shock the wheel free.
Often see breakdown vans attending what looks like a flat/blowout more than ever these days but I think a lot of this has more to do with crappy tools provided in the wheel well, overtightned nuts from fast fit centres and alloy wheels now normal on a car rather than an exotic extra they once were.
Hope this helps!
 ByEek 03 Oct 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Agreed. I also sack off the tool included and buy a heavy duty tool with extendable handle. They are only a tenner and would avoid this situation. Also worth noting that it is often productive to start by trying to tighten seized nuts before loosening them.

I imagine breakdown services are all much of a muchness. I am sure customers of AA and Greenflag have also had to wait 3+ hours.
 Neil Williams 03 Oct 2014
In reply to buzby:

Well I had to call them last night (just for a jump start, think a new battery is probably in order some time soon) and they turned up quickly, sorted it and went away again. I get it included in a packaged account from my bank. Completely happy with it.

Neil
OP buzby 03 Oct 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

well finally went with the AA, re the wheel changing its an odd thing that specifically happens on the opal I drive. Im well able to change a wheel but even when the rac guy came out he used a huge wheel brace with a big feck off 3 ft lever attached to it and snapped it getting them off.
mechanics seem to have trouble when servicing it as well.
anyway if I've got three grandkids in the back and im on my own I wouldn't fancy trying to change a wheel with three young kids dodging about the hard shoulder of a motorway or busy main road.
 wilkie14c 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

Unless you left your lights on or some other paower drain, I'd get that battery sooner rather than later or you could find yourself cursing! Now and the next few weeks as autumn takes hold is the season time of year for batteries to show their weaknesses. Lights on more, wipers, heaters, rear demisters all get switched on more that the last few months and finish off a weak battery very quickly. Make sure you know the radio code <if applicable> before taking the old battery off
 Neil Williams 03 Oct 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

I did leave my lights on while walking up and down a dark lane looking for a particular house. But not for more than about 5 minutes, so I think that it is time for a new one. Though I might well change the car in a couple of months, so I might just carry a jump start pack as a precaution, to save me the money.

Neil
 wilkie14c 03 Oct 2014
In reply to buzby:

Try removing your wheel nuts and applying a very light coat of copperease or similar to the threads. This should stop them corroding to the studs and really helps when disassembling parts. I use the hollow tube that is the handle of my trolly jack to slip over a wrench handle just to give a bit more leverage. Hub nuts are a bitch!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...