UKC

Strava or Nike+?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FinlayE141 01 Oct 2014
Just interested in what you prefer as a running app, or if you don't use on at all.
Personally I use Nike+ as I started with it and it does the job.
 Tony the Blade 01 Oct 2014
In reply to FinlayE141:

Endomondo - I flirted with Strava once, but returned to my first love eventually.

The only downside is the lack of trail running as an option.
OP FinlayE141 01 Oct 2014
In reply to Tony the Blade:

Tempted to download it, but already started using Nike+..
 Ridge 01 Oct 2014
In reply to FinlayE141:

Tend to use Strava as it seems to be the most common app, and all my mates use it. Tend to use Sportstracker for all activities, and just upload to strava for runs and cycling.
 Banned User 77 02 Oct 2014
In reply to FinlayE141:
Strava.. better community, probably the worlds best ambassadors… but generally a nice friendly program..

http://www.strava.com/athletes/1022460

Obvious CoI..
Post edited at 06:28
 yorkshireman 02 Oct 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

> Strava.. better community, probably the worlds best ambassadors… but generally a nice friendly program..

Basically what Iain said - another vote for Strava. There's also something that doesn't sit well with me about Nike running the fitness app. Seems too tied in to the stuff they want to sell you (foot pods and all that guff). I don't have any real experience of it though. Also I don't own much Nike gear save for the odd running vest or socks, and don't go in for all the step counting/activity tracker stuff.

I've been on Strava for a couple of years and before that used Garmin Connect which has definitely improved over the years. The best thing though was I was able to import all my old data into Strava (and now Garmin Connect syncs automatically with Strava so your runs are in two places).

The New NickB 02 Oct 2014
In reply to FinlayE141:

In the past I have just stored the data from my watch on Garmin Connect, but I'm a recent convert to Strava, I still have everything on Garmin Connect as well. The community side is good and it is funny when I nick segment CRs off my mates.
 mountainbagger 02 Oct 2014
In reply to yorkshireman:

> now Garmin Connect syncs automatically with Strava so your runs are in two places

I didn't know that. Excellent, thank you!
JMGLondon 02 Oct 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

Iain, your Oct activity is really down. Suggest you put some effort in
JMGLondon 02 Oct 2014
In reply to FinlayE141:
Strava all the way. Flirted with others at the start, but Strava has the best UX by far.

*hijack*, if anyone is flogging a garmin PM me. Lost mine on the weekend. Ta.
Post edited at 13:06
 yorkshireman 02 Oct 2014
In reply to JMGLondon:
> *hijack*, if anyone is flogging a garmin PM me. Lost mine on the weekend. Ta.

I've got a Forerunner 405 languishing in a drawer - it works fine but I've just upgraded to a Fenix2. A few scratches on the face where I bailed on a bike ride but it works fine. I've got two chargers and two ANT+ USB sticks to chuck in too. No HRM strap though (I've kept my old one but you wouldn't want that anyway - too sweaty). Feel free to make me an offer if you're interested.

EDIT: sorry, realise you said PM you. I will later - in the middle of a work conference call
Post edited at 13:29
JMGLondon 02 Oct 2014

Cheers, YHM.
 Guy 02 Oct 2014
In reply to FinlayE141:

Garmin connect now auto syncs with Strava and Endomondo so you can have the best of lots of worlds.
 Banned User 77 03 Oct 2014

The one thing I really like about Strava is their help desk, they get back and sort things without fail..
 yorkshireman 03 Oct 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

> The one thing I really like about Strava is their help desk, they get back and sort things without fail..

Yes, I've had problems where my GPS has messed up, so really not their fault and their support guys have fixed it for me. Once I forgot to stop my watch at the end of a 10k race and so it made my time look really bad- they edited the GPS track and reuploaded after I explained everything.
 mbh 03 Oct 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

Yes, I find them good for that too. I've had a really long, helpful reply about the thing where you link your account to Instagram, which I couldn't get to work, and they renamed a local segment as I suggested, since it had been given an offensive name.
 mbh 04 Oct 2014
In reply to FinlayE141:
One very trivial reason why I like Strava is the way it presents the elevation profile of your run with the elevation magified 25x compared to the horizontal. It makes even moderate hills look great and massages your ego. Hills that really are steep look like something that Ueli Steck would want to attempt.

I sometimes run along the ridge of the bouldering venue Carn Brae, in Cornwall. From below, it looks like a flattish ridge with a shallow rounded hump. On Strava it looks like the Matterhorn.
Post edited at 17:14

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...