UKC

bathroom/kitchen installation quotes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 d508934 02 Oct 2014
wanting to check a quote we had recently for new house, to remove existing fittings, make good and install new kitchen and bathroom bits, including tiling (tiles and fixtures supplied by us so not part of the quote), came in at £10-£11K. Kitchen is 3.05 metres x 2.08, bathroom is 2.34 x 2.08, one leads directly off the other and both on ground floor.

10-11K sound about right from anyone who has done this recently? would normally get a couple of other quotes, but this one is a family friend so keen to go with them as known quantity. cheers in advance for any thoughts!
 Alex@home 02 Oct 2014
In reply to d508934:

money shouldn't be your only consideration. you might find you can get it cheaper elsewhere but would you have the peace of mind you get from knowing it will be done well and that you have comeback if anything goes wrong.
OP d508934 02 Oct 2014
In reply to Alex@home:

fair point, money's not the only issue but it's definitely *an* issue!
m0unt41n 02 Oct 2014
In reply to d508934:

Less than mine a couple of years ago but really too many variables. Mine had quite a lot of tiles and a mixture. Worktops were a bit complicated. Done to whether clear runs of units or a lot of faffing about.

If just replacing existing design with new units then that quite a bit different to strip out and a completely different layout.

In any case lots of power sockets every where if possible. Lots of lighting. TV and Phone sockets - cables easily buried once old units out and before new ones in. Impossible afterwards. If flooring best to have floor units sit on top rather than butt flooring against unit bases.

I assume there are 2 doors between loo and kitchen when you say bathroom directly off kitchen.

OP d508934 02 Oct 2014
In reply to m0unt41n:

it's a complete strip out of what's there, so plastering etc after that, then new installation of new bits, but keeping to same layout with sinks, toilets and so on to allow easy connection with plumbing and so on.

good call on the multiple plug points, will factor that in.

and no, only 1 door, direct between kitchen and bathroom, not ideal but too much cost to change.
 Philip 02 Oct 2014
In reply to d508934:

£1000 per room labour, £1000 for tiling both - the rest is the price you pay for the units, etc.

My last kitchen was £6k. Solid oak doors, granite worktops, stone tiles. I think £10-11k sounds expensive, but you should know the split between labour and parts.
OP d508934 02 Oct 2014
In reply to Philip:

did the £6K include both parts and installation? my quote is not for new fittings, that's all additional, it's only for labour of removing old and putting in new
 Dandan 02 Oct 2014
In reply to d508934:

£10-11k for just labour?! You are supplying all units, fixtures and fittings? It might be fine for a politician's expenses claim but that sounds seriously steep in the real world...
 Mark Kemball 02 Oct 2014
In reply to d508934:

Does your family friend really want the job? Is he quoting high to avoid it? If, after the work is completed and paid for, you find there are problems, how will the friendship stand up to them? Just a few things to think about.
 winhill 02 Oct 2014
In reply to d508934:

It sounds expensive, but back to brick is always going to cost more. If it was everything included then not too bad.

Do they have to charge VAT?

It's always cheaper to get a one man band in but that could take a while, how long and how many people have they said you need?
mrbrian6 02 Oct 2014
In reply to d508934: 10k is very expensive. Don't know what his hourly rate is but based on £20ph that's 12.5 weeks worth of labour for a 40 hour week. Even if hourly rate is higher that's still a lot of hours. From your room sizes if I was doing job I would think that between me, my plumber and sparky it would take 2-3 weeks. Is he supplying any materials or are your supplying everything?

Chalk 02 Oct 2014
In reply to d508934:
Sounds very expensive to me if it doesn't include materials. We paid £3400 for our bathroom, which the bulk was mainly materials. We got it very cheap as it's someone we know, but considering this is for all the materials, labour, plumbing (had to dig out floors move all the piping) then i'm sure you can find it a lot cheaper than you are getting quoted at the moment.

Id say kitchen should be 5-6k with materials included (obviously will be higher if you go for very expensive units).
Post edited at 18:41
andymac 02 Oct 2014
In reply to d508934:

Methinks somebody is having a laugh.

Sounds like nearly twice what I would expect.

Apart from himself ,who I assume is the joiner ,there's maybe a few days for a plasterer ,day most for the sparky ,and same for the plumber.

If its the same layout as before , + few more power points.

Potential for fallouts ,but its your hard earned and you don't want to get ripped off.

A friendly ,and honest query "your quote is a bit more than I was expecting . Could you maybe give us a breakdown of your labour" is the best way forward.

Philip 02 Oct 2014
In reply to d508934:

> did the £6K include both parts and installation? my quote is not for new fittings, that's all additional, it's only for labour of removing old and putting in new

£6k was all in. About 16 units, granite, tiles, labour, freezer, wooden table, plastering.
Lusk 02 Oct 2014
In reply to d508934:

> 10-11K sound about right from anyone who has done this recently? would normally get a couple of other quotes, but this one is a family friend so keen to go with them as known quantity. cheers in advance for any thoughts!

£11K...You either mix in very wealthy circles or your 'family friend' is turning you over!!!

I had about 6 metres of granite worktops bought and fitted for about £2000.
Did everything else myself, including electrics, about £500.

Make sure your friendly kitchen fitter has any ability whatsoever when it comes to electrics, most of them are complete hatchet merchants. Get Electrical Installation Certificates off them as well,plus notification.
 Šljiva 02 Oct 2014
In reply to Philip:
I just paid 4k for labour for back to brick in both rooms (similar sizes) including all new electrics, lights, dropping ceilings, shifting plumbing around etc and the bathroom is a wetroom - about 4 weeks in all. That was in London using a builder from up north, so he probably charged more than normal and I still felt I got a good price. The rest depends on the fittings and finish you want, apart from the unsexy stuff like pipe work, plasterboard and cabling etc which adds up alarmingly quickly.
OP d508934 03 Oct 2014
In reply to everyone

thanks all, does seem like it's about double what it should be. it's a 2 man band, going back to brick, so then a day or so plasterer/sparky/plumber etc, and no VAT as they're too small, but even so will have a conversation with them to check the quoted price

cheers again

ByEek 03 Oct 2014
In reply to d508934:

If they are charging £10k a job, it won't be long before they pop over the VAT threshold. Get a couple more quotes in. A few of our friends have ended up getting quotes for work like this that were nearly identical so at least they knew they were paying the going rate.
 Dax H 03 Oct 2014
In reply to d508934:

Max 2 days to get both rooms back to brick, being generous 3 days to dot and dab and plaster both rooms.
3 days, maybe 4 to install all the equipment.
2 days tiling.
2 days extra for snagging and contingency.

So for 2 men that adds up to 26 days, say 200 per day per man £5200.00 for labour.
Obviously this is off the top of the head without seeing the job but it sounds like your getting your leg lifted.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...