UKC

My car makes a funny noise

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
My car has started making a noise like the sound of rushing air. It happens when I accelerate to 2000rpm. The rushing air noise appears to be coming from the windscreen vents. Its never done it before so i can only assume its a fault, a minor but annoying one.

Can anybody shed any light on it? its a 57 plate Focus 1.8tdci
 RomTheBear 07 Oct 2014
In reply to mh554:
> My car has started making a noise like the sound of rushing air. It happens when I accelerate to 2000rpm. The rushing air noise appears to be coming from the windscreen vents. Its never done it before so i can only assume its a fault, a minor but annoying one.

> Can anybody shed any light on it? its a 57 plate Focus 1.8tdci

Seems as if it's happening when the turbo kicks in, Maybe a problem around that, especially as it it quite close to the windscreen that could explain why noise seems to be coming from there. Check pipes around the turbo for splits or leaks. Just a thought, could be entirely something else.
Post edited at 09:51
Ferret 07 Oct 2014
In reply to RomTheBear:

Yeh - agreed - had very similar on diesel turbo Signum. One had a pipe come off completely due to nothing more than a loose jubilee clip resulting in not a lot of power, and another time there was a crack in rubber turbo pipe that caused a bit more noise than normal but as it was pretty minor didn't noticeably affect performance. On that one, the area of concern was fairly easy to find as there was a bit of oily staining in the area on an otherwise clean pipe (but car was only 3 years old at time so engine bay was still quite fresh at that stage).. on a 57 plate that may not be so obvious.
In reply to RomTheBear:

Would that have any link to a mechanic changing the cam belt and water pump recently???
 RomTheBear 07 Oct 2014
In reply to mh554:

> Would that have any link to a mechanic changing the cam belt and water pump recently???

Most likely not, but you never know !
In reply to RomTheBear:

> Most likely not, but you never know !

Damn it! Its one thing after another with it atm!
 jkarran 07 Oct 2014
In reply to mh554:

Sounds like an air leak on the turbo/induction system. Could have been disturbed during work, could have just perished and burst, either way it'll be easy enough to fix.

jk
In reply to jkarran:

> Sounds like an air leak on the turbo/induction system. Could have been disturbed during work, could have just perished and burst, either way it'll be easy enough to fix.

> jk

i like the sound of easy to fix... but how and where do i look? Do i need one of those haynes manuals?
 jkarran 07 Oct 2014
In reply to mh554:

Pop the bonnet and have someone rev it, you will hear the leak, the boost system usually snakes around quite a bit but the sections around the belts (opposite end of the engine to the gearbox) would be prime suspect given they've been recently worked on. Watch you don't get snarled up in it though while it's running (belts are probably fully covered on modern cars anyway).

It's probably just a hose blown off, if so push it back on and tighten the clip. If something has cracked you'll need a new part.

jk
 RomTheBear 07 Oct 2014
In reply to mh554:
> i like the sound of easy to fix... but how and where do i look? Do i need one of those haynes manuals?

Look between then engine covered with the plastic thing and the windscreen, if that makes sense. There should be a silver metal thingy with pipes coming in and out. Check those with a torchlight for splits, especially the big one.

Or just take it to the mechanic
Post edited at 10:18
 ByEek 07 Oct 2014
In reply to mh554:
We had this on our car. One of those rubber pipes in your engine will have a hole in it and need replacing. It isn't too expensive a job.
Post edited at 10:30
Ferret 07 Oct 2014
In reply to mh554:

if its not a super obvious, hose popped off issue, try some 'leak detecting' spray or dab fairy liquid on any exposed rubber pipes you can find, that appear to be turbo/induction related (rather than radiator related) and see if you get bubbles when somebody revs it up.
In reply to mh554:

Ok, had a scout around, and I have found the offending hose. A black 2inch running from the engine to the grey turbo thingy. Now in the meantime, will duct tape be ok for a temp fix until i get the replacement fitted?
 RomTheBear 09 Oct 2014
In reply to mh554:
> Ok, had a scout around, and I have found the offending hose. A black 2inch running from the engine to the grey turbo thingy. Now in the meantime, will duct tape be ok for a temp fix until i get the replacement fitted?

The best is Kraken tape or any similar kind of silicon hose repair tape. Good quality duct tape could work too if you wrap several layers I guess, but probably not as well.

In any case clean the surface of the hose well before applying tape.
Post edited at 10:59
 jkarran 09 Oct 2014
In reply to mh554:

> Ok, had a scout around, and I have found the offending hose. A black 2inch running from the engine to the grey turbo thingy. Now in the meantime, will duct tape be ok for a temp fix until i get the replacement fitted?

Several broad wraps on a clean pipe might hold for a while. Worth a try at least.
jk
 fraserbarrett 09 Oct 2014
In reply to mh554:

I see you're in london, you'll find lots of auto factors around. Give someone like euro car parts a ring. They'll almost certainly have the part in for not much money.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...