UKC

Do people rate their own photos?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 07 Oct 2014
Do people give star ratings to images within their own photo collections?
In reply to The Lemming:

I'm absolutely astounded that you can do this. Assumed you couldn't. Just tried it on one of mine and it thanked me for voting on my own photo! This seems like a huge c**kup on the part of the creators of our dearly beloved/favourite web site.
OP The Lemming 07 Oct 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Sorry, that's not what I meant. I wondered if people rated their own photos on their own hard drives.

However I now have a cunning plan.
 rallymania 07 Oct 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

i do

i give 3 stars to photo's that are part of a panorama

and 5 for ones i'll use, i don't bother giving pictures a 1 or 2 star... what's the point, use it if it's good or delete it.

OP The Lemming 07 Oct 2014
In reply to rallymania:

> i do

> i give 3 stars to photo's that are part of a panorama

I'm giving some thought to the 19,500 images in my own collection. It may prove an interesting project in helping me to weed out some of the more dull images which hold no visual merit or emotional memento ties.

Maybe I should set some personal rules before I start throwing out stars.
 Adam Long 07 Oct 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Yeah, I rate all mine after import to Lightroom.

1* - technically okay, publishable
2* - a decent shot, or a good shot with minor technical faults
3* - a very good shot with no technical faults
4* - a brilliant shot - only a few a year get this
5* - near perfect, can't think how they could be improved.

I've got less than ten 5* shots. I'm fairly harsh at scoring - maybe two-thirds of images get no stars.

I also add some basic keywords - for example climbing shots get crag, climber, route, rocktype, and everything gets filed by location.

I also colour code by subject - red for climbing, green for landscapes, blue for family etc.

When doing searches for clients I usually search with, e.g. 'red' and 'one star or higher' ticked (unless desperate).

On my laptop I've got a copy of the catalogue with smart previews for all the starred images. That means I can email previews/ mid-res images from wherever I am.

I don't typically delete no star shots as I find they can be invaluable for reference later.
 planetmarshall 07 Oct 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> This seems like a huge c**kup on the part of the creators of our dearly beloved/favourite web site.

Actually I think it's somewhat tongue-in-cheek, since you are specifically thanked for voting on your own photo, complete with emoticon. ie, someone actually had to write some code along the lines of "if user == self, print sarcastic comment".

d_b 07 Oct 2014
In reply to rallymania:

I use tags in digikam for that.

I tag stuff as pano source, hdr source, for website etc. then use the search tool to grab the bits to go on my web page.
 The Pylon King 07 Oct 2014
In reply to rallymania:

> i do

> i give 3 stars to photo's that are part of a panorama

> and 5 for ones i'll use, i don't bother giving pictures a 1 or 2 star... what's the point, use it if it's good or delete it.

What gets a 4 then?
 radson 08 Oct 2014

I have always had a chuckle voting on my own photos in UKC
 rallymania 08 Oct 2014
In reply to The Pylon King:
good point, i think i use 4 for ones that either need work to be useable or are of "interest" rather than "good" ie i messed up the shot somehow, but it still shows something or someone useful

this is all of course relative... i'm not pretending i'm a "five star" photog or anything
Post edited at 12:22

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...