UKC

Dear UKC - route database photos

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Adam Perrett 08 Oct 2014
Dear UKC,

When looking through the photos for a given route on the UKC database, when you have reached the end of the photos, the site leaves you at a page showing the thumbnails of all the photos for that route.

However, there is only a link back to the crag, not back to the specific route you were viewing (unless you click 'back' through all the photos to the route page again).

Please can someone at UKC add a link back to the specific route above or below the link to the crag.

(hope that all makes sense)

Many thanks
 The Ivanator 08 Oct 2014
In reply to Adam Perrett:

It is not on the thumbnails page which is slightly annoying, but the route link does appear under each individual photo you open, so no need to scroll back through every photo.

Each photo has the route name under it so you can just click on that. Occasionally there isn't a route name. This occurs when people upload the photo without choosing the route name during the upload in the 'route name' field.

These orphaned photos can still usually be found when viewing a route but it is a bit of a hack process that searches the assigned crag, and photo caption text, to see if it can find a route. This gives false positives quite a lot of the time. e.g.. "the crack left of Right Unconquerable' will probably appear on Right Unconquerable, not Left.

Reversing this process from the photo to the route is trickier so we don't attempt to do it. We probably could but it would be better to assign route names to photos rather than introduce hack processes. The hack process above dates from over 10 years ago and should be removed. That would of course mean that the orphaned photos didn't appear next to the route they refer to and there are a lot of them so it would be a shame.

Alan
OP Adam Perrett 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Thanks Alan & Ivan.
Yes, forgot I could click on the route name under a photo (most of the time).
 Bob 09 Oct 2014

If you click and hold (press and hold on a tablet) the browser's back button you get a list of the last ten or so pages/links that you visited in that tab. Simply select the appropriate page as you would in any drop down list. You can repeat this until you get back to the first page shown in that tab's browsing history. This doesn't create a loop in the tab history but if you then go to another page that is not in that list you lose the history.
OP Adam Perrett 10 Oct 2014
In reply to Bob:

Cheers Bob
 The Ivanator 18 Oct 2014
Since the site update it seems the link back to routes has disappeared from under some photos. Several shots in my gallery where I know the route information was entered correctly (which were active links before) no longer work.
Is it just me or my browser (Safari) perhaps? Or is this a wider problem? May need a fix I think.
Post edited at 09:46

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...