UKC

Learning and playing guitar: what's the state of the art?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Oujmik 08 Oct 2014
I taught myself to play guitar 15 years ago. Since then I've just pootled around and strummed some chords occasionally, I never got that great at it but I'd like to start again.

Back when I was learning when the internet was young(ish), the main way to learn new riffs was either to download tabs (obviously still an option) or buy guitar mags with professional tabs and backing tracks to play along with, but then you were limited to only the songs they chose. I can see now there are a bunch of things around online - video lessons, tab pro, computer-game-style packages of songs you can download and learn... but I feel hopelessly out of touch.

I also assume that digital/software amps have come a long way - the like of Line 6 were just emerging when I was learning but I still own a valve amp (Laney LC15, very nice it is too). However it would be nice not to have to heft it to the nearest power socket (chronic lack of these in my house) whenever I feel like playing...

Anyone care to give me a quick precis of what's happening in the world of guitar these days? What's a good resource for learning songs and riffs (beyond just downloading tabs as I find these are often hard to fathom for long solos or complicated rhythms) and maybe getting backing tracks - I used to like the ones with a full band including vocals, just no guitar...
 marzi 08 Oct 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

Join a band and just thrash stuff out with mates, or, go on youtube and watch people playing online

LakesWinter 08 Oct 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

www.songsterr.com

Is great for getting tabs that play (on a shitty amp sound but great for learning solos.

Also google Chris Zoupa on youtube for excellent solo lessons for classic metal and rock.
 Kermi 08 Oct 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

Justin Sandercoe on "YouTube" or look for his website. Good stuff to get you going and keep you interested. http://www.justinguitar.com/
 deacondeacon 08 Oct 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

+1 for Justin sandercoe.
Licknriff is really good for fingerstyle lessons too.
 d_b 08 Oct 2014
In reply to Oujmik:
Rocksmith looks like a fun, if expensive way to learn. It's a guitar hero style game, but instead of mashing buttons on a plastic controller you play a real electric guitar and it analyses your playing.

It comes with a magic box/cable that plugs into your guitar and consequently aint cheap.

youtube.com/watch?v=kFd2Mi2FTzs& is someone playing in a very metal way
Post edited at 16:47
 ChrisRGX 08 Oct 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

+ another 1 for Justin Sandercoe. There are some great lessons there.

There are also a lot of lesson on You Tube teaching you to play all kinds of stuff.

Another resource I use is http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/. Loads of backing tracks without the guitar for you to play along to.

Chris
 paul mitchell 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

Pebber Brown really knows his stuff,You Tube.

Put in the time and you'll get better.No other way.
Like climbing,work on your weaknesses.Enjoy it;maybe get a better guitar.

Mitch
OP Oujmik 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

Thanks all, already working on the Hotel California solo with Chris Zoupa and watching some of Justin's blues video lessons. That backing track site is really handy too - I like the ones with vocals so I can pretend I'm in a band (I was almost in a band once, we called ourselves Widespread Condemnation but then didn't write any songs or play anything...)

I'd like a better guitar but really my old Fender Strat is way better than I am right now...
In reply to Oujmik:
You'd like a better guitar than a fender strat, thats the life eh, I've played a lot of gigs, the best tone I ever got was out of a cheap guitar. Guitar playings like climbing is a life style really, Keep on rockin dude!
Post edited at 23:09
 Morgan Woods 10 Oct 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

I've picked it up in the last few years and use a combination of a teacher, chord books youtube and ultimate guitar but mainly lots of practice. I don't think that last point will ever become less important.
OP Oujmik 10 Oct 2014
In reply to John Simpson:

Haha, yeah that comment was more aspirational than anything else. The Strat (albeit 'only' a Mexican one) is a great guitar and I can't see myself replacing it anytime soon, especially given the inflation since I bought it!
In reply to Oujmik:

A Mex strat is still more than decent, but then the amp produces more than the guitar in terms of tone, axe more about play-ability/feel as marsi says best way to move on is join/form a band.

unless you know of like minded folk this gaf is currently has the most traffic

http://www.joinmyband.co.uk/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...