UKC

Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 doz 08 Oct 2014
Strange as it may sound to you young things on UKC, I grew up watching films on a black and white telly the size of a Shredded Wheat box and much as we loved all we saw, it dawned on me not that long ago that a lot of the stunning cinematography of those 70's classics was totally lost on us....so with this in mind me an young Miss Doz watched this iconic Western at the weekend on our full colour MASSIVE telly...and wow was it worth it!
So if you are a fan of westerns and Dylan and it's been a while, or this one just passed you by and you are starting to feel those winter nights drawing in then go get yourself a good bottle of malt, put your boots up on the couch and indulge.... : )
 milus 08 Oct 2014
In reply to doz:

Agree. The quintessential Western, beautiful cinematography and a fantastic soundtrack by Dylan. Along with Once Upon a Time in the West, my favourite two Westerns.

OP doz 08 Oct 2014
In reply to milus:

Still remember seeing Once Upon a Time in my teens with my big brother...walking out the cinema onto the empty, dark Edinburgh streets, both completely blown away!
Ah ..the good days
 Blue Straggler 08 Oct 2014
In reply to doz:

The crew ate all those chickens, you know
 pebbles 08 Oct 2014
In reply to milus:

think the coen brothers remake of True Grit was utterly fantastic. For tongue in cheek, The Good the Bad and the Ugly. For cheesy feel goodness The Magnificent Seven
 bleddynmawr 09 Oct 2014
In reply to doz:

The scene with Slim Picken's by the river with Rita Coolidge is both beautiful and heartbreaking.
 GridNorth 09 Oct 2014
In reply to doz:

A good friend of mine once gave a climbing lecture/slideshow and used the soundtrack as backing. It was very effective.

If you are around Bill B,do you remember that?
 mockerkin 09 Oct 2014
In reply to doz:

We've had the sound track cd for years. One of our favourites still.
 Pekkie 09 Oct 2014
In reply to doz:

Trouble is it's got Kris Kristofferson (spelling? I don't really care) as Billy the Kid. Couldn't act, couldn't sing. I prefer Shane and 3.10 to Yuma - original versions obviously.
 Tom Valentine 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Pekkie:

K.K. couldn't sing?
Then neither can Dylan, Cohen and a host of other entertainers in a similar vein.
Next you'll be saying he couldn't write songs.
 Pekkie 10 Oct 2014
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> 'K.K. couldn't sing?
> Then neither can Dylan, Cohen and a host of other entertainers in a similar vein.
> Next you'll be saying he couldn't write songs.'

Right. And you should wash your mouth out with soap, putting KK in the same category as Dylan and Cohen.

As you were. Rant over.

Al Evans 10 Oct 2014
In reply to Pekkie:

Interestingly I watched Pat Garret and Billy The Kid in the arts theatre in Lancaster, it wasn't shown on the mainstream cinema houses.
 Tom Valentine 10 Oct 2014
In reply to Pekkie:

What do I know? He was good enough to be included in a band whose other members were Cash, Jennings and Nelson.
(As a side issue he also shacked up with Janis and Rita, too, but I'm not putting that down to his singing)
 Rob Exile Ward 10 Oct 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

I saw it in the equivalent at York University. Best Western EVER. Elegiac; brilliant.

The scene when Billy returns to his girlfriend, who's servicing another client:

"Say, you frog watchin'... oh, hey, it's you Billy...I'm goin'..."
 Tom Valentine 11 Oct 2014
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:
The best western ever made was Lonesome Dove. It was so massive in its scope that it could not be rendered into a single feature film, though someone tried.

The sequels were also pretty good .

If you have never come across Gus and Woodrow in your viewing, you have a real treat in store.

But let's not forget "Tombstone"....
Post edited at 00:22
 Padraig 11 Oct 2014
In reply to doz:

Nevada Smith & Silverado .....#justsaying
 milus 11 Oct 2014
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

One of my favourite scenes is after the shoot-out near the beginning of the film, where Billy is standing outside the hut with his arms held out wide in surrender, and Garrett strolls down the hill towards him to a lovely bit of Dylan soundtrack (which for some reason didn't make it into the CD soundtrack). They are both smiling at each other like old friends, yet only moments before had been trying to blow each other's brains out!
 nickh1964 13 Oct 2014
In reply to doz:

Yes, fine film, great soundtrack. The Wild Bunch is also a superb Peckinpah western, but Pat edges into first place for me.
Though Open Range had some good moments too, one near the start when he rounds up the horses, lovely bit of film.
 Al Evans 19 Oct 2014
In reply to doz:

The scene where Dylan sings Knockin on Heavens Door as the Sherrif? dies is just so typical of the poignacy of Dylans songs, a classic movie moment.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...