UKC

INTERVIEW: Adam Ondra on and about Czech sandstone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 09 Oct 2014
The core of the Adršpach forest of towers at dawn, 3 kbWhat have you ever done on Czech sandstone?
Last spring, Adam Ondra finally came to the Peak District and gave gritstone a try. Is it time for British climbers to pay a visit to Czech Republic, following the Wideboyz' example, and even the score? We think so...

Before Kalymnos, Geyikbahiri and...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=69225
 John2 09 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC News:

'Say, if you are a hobby climber and finally a weekend with good weather arrives and you're looking forward to do a lot of pitches on gritstone... You just can't do as many as in most other places. Once you've climbed the route you have to make an anchor, rappel down to clean the route, then hike up to take the anchor off, hike down again and only then can you move on to the next one'

That may apply to E7s, but not to the routes that 'hobby climbers' do!
 FinnBar 09 Oct 2014
I've lived in Prague for a few years, and me and a friend went to go and look at Udolni at Teplice. The very idea of doing it barefoot gives me the willies.
Teplice is definitely one of the most famous areas, but I would say that people visiting Cz (given that nearly everyone will be flying to Prague) would find it easier to visit Ceský ráj since it's only 90min drive/bus from Prague. The towers around Prachov are just as good quality, though they are a bit shorter (tallest tower is still 30m though!). Definitely a gentler area to get used to the strange new gear you have to use!

Not met any Brits at the crags yet, but would be really fun if some started turning up :-D

French Erick 10 Oct 2014
In reply to FinnBar:

I'm not British but:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=598983
I am planning on coming!
 GrahamD 10 Oct 2014
In reply to John2:

> That may apply to E7s, but not to the routes that 'hobby climbers' do!

Or indeed Pete Whittaker and Tom Randall apparently !

I guess when you are as good as he is, the concept of a climbing 'partner' as such isn't really appropriate
 andrewmc 10 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC News:
So... given that grit doesn't have as much friction as Czech sandstone, isn't as tall as Czech sandstone, and isn't as bold as Czech sandstone, what does it have?

(back under my bridge now... :P )
Post edited at 19:39
 FactorXXX 10 Oct 2014
In reply to andrewmcleod:

So... given that grit doesn't have as much friction as Czech sandstone, isn't as tall as Czech sandstone, and isn't as bold as Czech sandstone, what does it have?

Quite a lot of it is in the Peaks...
 GDes 10 Oct 2014
He on sighted an 8a+ on trad gear! as a first ascent! and didn't really feel the need to mention it. Blimey.
 Ramblin dave 10 Oct 2014
In reply to andrewmcleod:
> So... given that grit doesn't have as much friction as Czech sandstone, isn't as tall as Czech sandstone, and isn't as bold as Czech sandstone, what does it have?

About 10 hours less driving each way?
Post edited at 22:39
 Morgan Woods 11 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC News:

has he got a chalk bag on in that first photo?
 andrewmc 11 Oct 2014
In reply to Ramblin dave:

So gritstone is now convenience climbing

Czech sandstone does sound both awesome and somewhat terrifying...
OnUp 15 Oct 2014
In reply to UKC News:

I've ran climbing holidays in Czech in the past. Our slogan was, The weathers warm, The people are Friendly, The beers cheap.

Also, the climbing 'is great'. Every group had a really good experience.

We mainly frequented the sandstone rocks at Tisa in the North.

If you're interested you can see pictures on my facebook page from 2010 & 2011 - Onwards Upwards

Welcome to get in contact if ya got questions, it's not somewhere I would recommend for the novice or uneducated with out a guide.
robin kaleta 11 Nov 2014
In reply to FinnBar:

well there is even better place to start with sandstone. it is called Labak. about same distance from prague as cesky raj, but much more bolts and chalk widely used here. we have it on the website sandstone.cz too. take a look.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...