UKC

Jumaring gear and rigging.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stevie989 11 Oct 2014
Having never done any jumaring I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or links?

I have a my disposable an ascender, pulley (just a wheel on an oval), ropeman and shunt.

I've seen diagrams and videos for the single jumar/ Gri Gri set up.

Am I pretty much going to have to give in and get a Gri Gri?

I'll be cleaning lines and taking photos so being able to get both up and down would be a bonus.
 petegunn 11 Oct 2014
In reply to Stevie989:

An ascender with a grigri is an easy set up.
Move up by standing in a footloop attached to your ascender and pull the slack through the grigri.
To descend just release the ascender and ab down on the grigri.

If covering large distances i.e ascending the whole crag 20m + its probably worth looking at a better set up using jumars.

needvert 11 Oct 2014
In reply to Stevie989:
Cavers are generally better at it than climbers imo, given its an uncommoner event, so referring to caving references will yield a lot more information.

There's a few different setups, from classic 3 prussik to frog style with two ascenders.

If you have a ropeman, 'ascender' and a shunt, I don't see any reason to need a grigri as well.
Post edited at 23:40
 Oceanrower 12 Oct 2014
In reply to Stevie989:

There's quite a rope walking thread going on at the moment on the 'other' UKC

http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=17106.0

OP Stevie989 12 Oct 2014
In reply to Stevie989:

cheers guys - the ascender is a petzl jumar
 scott titt 12 Oct 2014
In reply to Stevie989:

getting grigri wont be giving in, but embracing the utility of a great multi function device!
a grigri with a pulley and jumar is a really good set up for adjusting your position up and down. i use a shunt rather than a jumar so that i can use a pull down cord to make going down easier. a swing cheek pulley may be easier, the rope will probably jump off the loose pulley as you move your hand up to pull again, especially at the start when the rope is fairly light.

cavers systems are usually just for going down and up a rope, not for the up down, up down nature of cleaning, drilling and photographing on a route

if you use an 11mm working rope rope be sure to get a grigri mk1. the mk2 could be difficult to use.
 Dave Cundy 12 Oct 2014
In reply to Stevie989:

Having just spent 5 days on Lundy cleaning routes, I offer the following advice
1) Clean from the top downwards. You can do this hanging on a Petzl Stop. That will be much kinder to your rope than swinging around on ascenders which grip the rope with teeth. And the debris cannot fall onto rock that you have just cleaned!
2) Keep the ascenders on standby, out of the way. I rarely went upwards.
3) Use rope protectors, or better still, rebelay the rope to protection below rub points. You will swing about more than you think.
4) Use goggles if you are wire brushing. You eyes will get sore otherwise.

Good luck and thanks. Climbers these days don't realise the effort that went into cleaning many of our crags.
 Kafoozalem 12 Oct 2014
In reply to Mostro:

All good advice. A big thank you for your route cleaning activities.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...