UKC

Marathon du Mont Blanc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tony the Blade 12 Oct 2014

Registration for a place (via the ballot) opens tomorrow.

I'll be going for it, anyone else?
 Pete Houghton 12 Oct 2014
Might have a go at something that weekend...
In reply to Pete Houghton:

Ultra? Vertical 1km? 10k?
 Pete Houghton 12 Oct 2014
In reply to Tony the Blade:
Did my first 50 a few weeks ago and I have a 74 in December, so it seems logical (if not particularly bright) to have a go at the 80. Hundred euro seems a bit of a steep price to pay for a T shirt and a few plastic cups of coke, but the views are worth every penny at least.

(although check-in doesn't open for that for another month, so I might have a change of brain by then)
Post edited at 21:52
 yorkshireman 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Pete Houghton:

> Hundred euro seems a bit of a steep price to pay for a T shirt and a few plastic cups of coke, but the views are worth every penny at least.

You're paying for Chamonix basically and the MB name/kudos. I often do a local 86km in the Vercors which costs half the MB price. Still they could charge more if the wanted to and still fill it so I'm not sure there's too much to complain about.

Saying that, I'd like to do the marathon as I'm sure its pretty spectacular and is only a 2 hour drive away. Will enter the ballot and see what happens - not really sure what my goal is going to be next year (going for a fast marathon this year, am definitely going to head back to the trails but might have an easy year before getting back into ultras).
In reply to yorkshireman:

I've just registered, fingers crossed that I get a place.

€50 seems pretty reasonable to me, there are many more expensive runs in the UK.
 Pete Houghton 13 Oct 2014

"You're paying for Chamonix basically "

Just like every other bloody day of my life!

Certainly not the cheapest place to live...
 yorkshireman 14 Oct 2014

I'm in the ballot for the marathon. Will see what happens although plenty of other under subscribed races if I don't get in. This is blatant, unashamed tick-listism on my part.

> This is blatant, unashamed tick-listism on my part.

Aye, same here. What others do you have in mind? I wanted something big to mark my 50th next year.

Tony
 yorkshireman 14 Oct 2014

> What others do you have in mind?

Nothing big/well known - just some local trail races.

There's a nice ultra in the Vercors near Grenoble in September (Ultra Trail du Vercors) 86km and 4000m +/-. Beautiful area.

Trail de Ceuse was fantastic this year (32km, 2000m+/- and only €10 to enter). Will definitely make that a recurring one.

There's a new 17km 1km+/- local race (Trail de Cimes du Buech) which I unexpectedly placed 6th in last year so going to give that a good go and race it again.

There's also the UT4M around Grenoble (different lengths, up to 100 miles) that looks like fun - not sure if I'll do really long stuff but is on my standby list!

How did you get on? I didn't get a place and now I'm gutted.

Will look into other options to alleviate the flat feeling.
 yorkshireman 24 Oct 2014

> How did you get on? I didn't get a place and now I'm gutted.

I haven't received an email yet so just looked on the site and I don't seem to be in the list, so assuming I haven't got in. I'm not that bothered actually. Would quite like to do it one day but there's plenty of other stuff to do. I think I'll be giving the following a go since I've never got round to them, along with a couple of smaller local races:

http://trail-passerelles-monteynard.fr (there's a 55km version)
http://www.trailubayesalomon.com - marathon distance

Yeah I'm looking at this http://www.brixenmarathon.com/en/

Having a friend in Venice helps
 alastairmac 25 Oct 2014
I managed to get a place . But in the e mail confirmation it asks for a medical certificate from a GP stating that I am fit to run. And it needs to be in French. I have never encountered such a thing before. I don't know if everybody received this request or it is targeted at those of us that are a bit more mature. I am not sure how my GP will respond? Does anybody have any experience of dealing with such a request before. I am tempted to just ignore it and turn up to compete as one normally would.

yorkshireman 25 Oct 2014
In reply to alastairmac:
It's normal for everyone in France ( and a bit of a pain - but they do love their paperwork here). You can download the template off the site and get your gp to sign it, or alternatively forge it yourself they will never know the difference. Should be a formality. I run about 6-8 races a year in France where I need one and I'm ok to reuse a photocopy each time so long as it is dated less than a year ago.

I can send you a template if you can't find the one in the site. It basically just has to say that you don't display any contra indications to competitive running (ie. unlikely to die).

> I am tempted to just ignore it and turn up to compete as one normally would.

Don't do this. They won't let you run. As I said, if you really have to, forge it there won't be an issue unless something bad happens (eg. you might not get an insurance payout if you face medical bills, so that risk is up to you). However your GP will be unfazed, take your pulse and ask you if you run a lot. Then sign it and wish you luck.
Post edited at 18:43
 alastairmac 25 Oct 2014
That's really helpful. Thanks. I'll have a look at the site and download the template. All the best.
 alastairmac 26 Oct 2014
In reply to yorkshireman: Hi there. I would like to accept your kind offer to send through a template for the medical declaration. I can't find one on the site. If you don't mind e mailing it to me at alastairmaccoll@btinternet.com that would be really helpful. Thanks again.

yorkshireman 26 Oct 2014
In reply to alastairmac:

No problem, on its way now to your email.

Best of luck with the training and the race.
 alastairmac 26 Oct 2014
In reply to yorkshireman: Cheers. I appreciate it. All the best.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...