UKC

Televised Debate for the General Election

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 13 Oct 2014
Aren't televised debates best for Presidential elections when you are voting for an individual to hold the top office?

Or are Televised debates the future for British politics where people may as well vote for a Party's leader rather than individual MP's of each constituency?

A bit of a ham-fisted OP but I hope you get the idea of what I'm trying to ask. And who should or should not be allowed to play up to the cameras?
 RomTheBear 14 Oct 2014
In reply to The Lemming:
I could be wrong but it seems to me that during general elections people vote for the party they want to see in government more than for an individual MP.

Of course this can be very different during by-elections which often produce surprising results.
Post edited at 18:20
Removed User 14 Oct 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Why on earth does the conservative party treat Farage with so much respect,ignore the clown rather than treat him with respect and he will soon vaporise
 pec 14 Oct 2014
In reply to Removed User:

> Why on earth does the conservative party treat Farage with so much respect,ignore the clown rather than treat him with respect and he will soon vaporise >

What's that got to do with this thread?

In reply to The Lemming:

If there is a TV debate featuring only the main English parties I don't think it should be shown in Scotland. The latest opinion poll shows the SNP on 45% of the vote in Scotland an election debate aired in Scotland which does not include the SNP is pointless.
Wiley Coyote2 14 Oct 2014
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> If there is a TV debate featuring only the main English parties I don't think it should be shown in Scotland. The latest opinion poll shows the SNP on 45% of the vote in Scotland an election debate aired in Scotland which does not include the SNP is pointless.

Speaking as an Englishman I'd say it would probably be illegal if it excluded a party likely to field so many candidates, albeit only in Scotland
 MG 15 Oct 2014
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

I think restricting it to parties will the potential to be in government is reasonable, perhaps with additional debates for local parties in Scotland etc.
 The New NickB 15 Oct 2014
In reply to RomTheBear:

To an extent they vote for the party, not the candidate. The problem is, that isn't how the constitution works.
 winhill 16 Oct 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Greens threaten legal action over exclusion:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/oct/13/general-election-2015-tv-de...
 Mike Stretford 16 Oct 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

> Aren't televised debates best for Presidential elections when you are voting for an individual to hold the top office?

> Or are Televised debates the future for British politics where people may as well vote for a Party's leader rather than individual MP's of each constituency?

That's what happens anyway. The truth is we need a political 'effective' head of state to represent the country, so by default it's become the PM. It's not even new, Winston Churchill did it during the war.

Less arrogant countries might have sorted it out by now, as you imply we have to choose between voting for a party which is obviously shaped by its leader, and a local rep.... most people choose the former.

Maybe the sight of Ed Milliband at international summits will stir people to demand change.

ByEek 16 Oct 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

When you vote, you are generally voting for a party. You may favour a particular candidate, but unless they are independent, in terms of policy you are likely to get a representation in parliament of the party they belong to rather than their personal opinion or the views of their constituency.

In reply to myserable old git:
We ignore Farage at our peril.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...