UKC

Cinema memories / experiences

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkie14c 14 Oct 2014
Was just thinking about going to see the equalizer tomorrow night as its cheap night - 'Orange wednesdays', 2for1. My mind wandered back to younger days and some of the very first times I went to the cinema. My nana was quite the movie goer, being a young lady during the war the 'pictures' was the only visual entertainment back then apart from live perfomances so she was always quite used to going to see the flicks. She used to take my older sister and I often and was responsible for frightening the living daylights out of us when she took us to see Jaws! I was 6 or 7 then as google has just told me Jaws was 1975. Maybe she had a thing about big fish as she took us to see Orca killer whale a year or so later. She also took me to see Star Wars and Close Encounters and embedded an enjoyment of blockbuster scfi flicks.
These early visits were to the Odeon in Derby and this was back in the day of the ice cream girl and ushers with torches. There was a short introduction film they played that showed a vertical line that moved to one side of the screen with a message to tell smokers they needed to sit to the left of the line!
I started going to this same cinema with mate to see the 'Saturday morning picture show' every week where for 10p or so we got treated to several hours of American pap - Bannana splits, Lone Ranger, Harold Loyyd, Laurel and Hardy. Great fun.
The first time I ever went on my own was to the Metro in Derby, aged 12, this was a much smaller cinema that showed the art house stuff, independent and subtitled films, B-movies and other, non-headline stuff. I fancied the sound of this new film - Raiders of the lost ark. Blown away was an understaement, I don't think the UK realised what a big movie it was at the time. After becoming a Harrison Ford fan I saw Blade Runner shortly after and my chosen genre of dark scfi was reinforced further.

So, answer these 4 Q's making adjustments where nessesary and add any of your own memorable cinema moments.

First film I took a girl to? E.T.
Scarest ever flim at the cinema? The Blair witch project
Wosrt ever film? The social network. Sat pulling my own fingernails out with pliers to cheer myself up
Best overall cinema experience? Avatar 3D
 Offwidth 14 Oct 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Nice cinematic ramble then those questioms and then your answers......top tip: don't consider a career as a chat show host.
OP wilkie14c 14 Oct 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

No accounting for taste is there?! :-p
 Offwidth 14 Oct 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Ok I will bite. The questions dont link to your interesting preamble they are almost taking the piss. Then this girl was she taken against her will or do you mean a date and only hetrosexual men and lesbians get to answer. The rest is taste maybe but enough to make a critic cry.
OP wilkie14c 14 Oct 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

Definatly not against her will, in fact she was so into the film she shunned any of my back row fumblings, lets remember I was a mere 13 year old lad at the time
Scariest film? Well loads of movie goers love their horror films but I really don't and very rarely watch one. the Blair witch project was a love it or hate it movie, we know that. I remember folk walking out when I saw it but its something that appeals to the viewer if they are prepared to let their imagination run away with them while watching it rather than have special effects do the job of your imagination.
Best and worst? there is always a best and worst!
OP wilkie14c 14 Oct 2014
In reply to Offwidth:
> (In reply to wilkie14c)
>
>Then this girl was she taken against her will or do you mean a date and only hetrosexual men and lesbians get to answer.

Hence
"making adjustments where nessesary"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...