UKC

Replacement bumper

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goldmember 14 Oct 2014
Some twit has bumped into my car and cracked my front bumper. Then drove off.

I'd like to replace it, as cheaply as possible. Where could i get an undamaged second handed bumper or new one?
I'll work out how to fit it afterwards.

Car 2010 Skoda Fabia red!
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 14 Oct 2014
In reply to goldmember:

I once used some national database for car parts/scrap yards, looking for a radio unit for an Avensis. I filled in the details without much hope, and within 10 mins I had an e-mail from a breakers in Rochdale who had what I wanted - £40.
I can't remember the name of it, maybe do a web search and see what comes up,

Chris
 Dax H 14 Oct 2014
In reply to goldmember:

EBay or scrap yards
OP goldmember 14 Oct 2014
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Thanks Chris
In reply to Dax H:

thanks Dan had a look on ebay, seemed really expensive! but maybe thats the going rate!
In reply to goldmember:

Depending how damaged it is and how many smart repairers they are in you area it may be Cheeper to get it repaired.
 Sharp 14 Oct 2014
In reply to goldmember:

They are pretty expensive and with it being a new car you're less likely to get one than if it was 10 years old. I snapped a bit of my bumper a few years ago on a fallen branch (along with a radiator, number plate and half my lights ) Seeing the prices of a replacement bumper and then it probably not being the same colour I ended up repairing it, which may well be less work than respraying if you're bothered about it matching.

It depends on where the crack is but if it's in a non structural area you might have luck plastic welding it, I just riveted a bit of old bumper behind the crack and expoxyed it but it wasn't a new car so I wasn't too fussed about how it looked and it held for the next few years.
In reply to John Simpson:

liking the sound of this! that be a bodywork shop rather than a garage ?
In reply to goldmember:

Yes this is a body-shops bread and butter work, so there's plenty of places which could do this, the smart repairers I mentioned are mobile and they have small tent things which they can put over the repair whilst working to get a good finish, it's possible to get a job like that done that way for under £100, but they tend to use cellulose paints which aren't quite as robust as the 2 pack paint most body-shops use. With a bit of shopping around you may get a bodyshop to do the job for about 150, no doubt if you went this way someones going quote you 400, but it pays to shop around.

The reason you won't get a newish bumper cheap of ebay is everyone who breaks modern cars knows the market value. You could get a new pattern bumper cheaper, but then you'd have to get it painted, so back to square one.

HTH
In reply to John Simpson:

Could you point me in the right direction of someone around Chester/Liverpool? Pretty Please!
In reply to goldmember:

I can't really as it's miles away from where I'm at, the classifieds in the local papers are a good place to start, but lots of painters on facebook and the like these days.
In reply to goldmember:

This is maybe where I'd start in your position

http://www.revive-uk.com/services/bumper-scuffs/
OP goldmember 15 Oct 2014
Thanks, had a local bodyshop have a look, needs replacing. quote around £250 for parts, painting and fitting. is they a fair price ?
In reply to goldmember:

That's probably about market value, you could go and get a few more quotes and see but I wouldn't think you'd save much.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...