UKC

Ultra near Manchester

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 StefanB 15 Oct 2014
Could anyone please recommend me an ultra within a reasonable driving distance from Manchester? I used to live there 10 years ago and would like to combine a trip back to the UK for a visit with a race. Ideal characteristics:

- 60-120k (can take a long day, but would prefer not to have to run through a whole night)
- on trails
- in spring (between March and May)
- up to 2 hours driving from Manchester (I suppose this makes Lakes and Snowdonia a good option)
- Mountainous / hilly but mostly runnable
- marked course (no map and compass requirement)
- can be low key, as long as it's well marked and organized

Thanks in advance.

dread-i 15 Oct 2014
In reply to StefanB:

I did Howorth Hobble last year. Nice fast route, no real navigation involved. Might not match your requirement in terms of length though.
 Owen Meany 15 Oct 2014
In reply to StefanB:

SiEntries is a good site for online entries to ultra/mountain marathon events:

https://www.sientries.co.uk/

OM
OP StefanB 15 Oct 2014
In reply to Owen Meany:

Thanks good resource.

Any personal recommendations are welcome.
 Michael Hood 15 Oct 2014
In reply to StefanB:

Quick look at that resource shows Oldham ultra 40 miles, sun 22nd March - might be what you want
OP StefanB 15 Oct 2014
In reply to Michael Hood:

The Oldham ultra does actually look rather interesting.

The Fellsman seems to involve faffing with map and compass which is not what I am after in a running race.

Thanks everyone so far. Looking forward to further recommendations.
 steveriley 15 Oct 2014
In reply to StefanB:

My club runs the Sandstone Trail challenge in May/June. Might be a touch short at 33 miles but gets great feedback. I've run it 3 times and photographed it a couple of times and always had a great time. Quite nice in that it's linear and traverses an entire OS map S to N (we coach you to the start).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...