UKC

The irony of #Gamergate

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
1999: gamers demand we stop blaming school shootings on videogames.
2014: gamers threaten a school shooting because videogames.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29626809
Removed User 15 Oct 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

This chick attention whoring again? She's the same girl that said she left her home because of death threats and had her followers (most of them whiteknighting/fellow feminists) send her cash.
In reply to Removed User:
I think this can hardly be classed as 'attention whoring'. They were going to allow concealed weapons at the event (which has subsequently been cancelled).
She left her home because someone posted her address online.
Post edited at 15:07
Removed User 15 Oct 2014

Read the article, she cancelled because the police wouldn't do weapons searches because Ohio allows concealed carry. They just wouldn't make an exception for her because once again someone threatened her and she took it seriously. Not to say such things shouldn't be taken seriously, but in this case she's just attention whoring again.

She left her home because some kid threatened her on twitter after doxxing her parents address iirc, but it was nowhere near as bad as she made it out to be, and she profited financially from it. A lot of people said she posted them herself, again for the attention.

> Read the article, she cancelled because the police wouldn't do weapons searches because Ohio allows concealed carry. They just wouldn't make an exception for her because once again someone threatened her and she took it seriously. Not to say such things shouldn't be taken seriously, but in this case she's just attention whoring again.

Wouldn't you take a death threat like the one reported seriously? I sure would, especially in a state that allows open-carrying.

PeterM 15 Oct 2014

Jeez, some one has 'mommy' issues.....what a nut sack!
 ByEek 15 Oct 2014

I am curious by your response. We have a known feminist who has received threats to her life which have caused her to leave her home and cancel her engagements. And for that, you call her an attention seeking whore? How does that figure?

If you lead a reasonably high profile life and I were to make threats on your life (anonymous of course) which caused you to change your way of life significantly - and you reported these incidents to the press, would it be acceptable for me to call you an attention seeking d**k?

I can't help feeling that had this happened to someone other than a feminist, your response would have been quite different.
In reply to ByEek:

He's clearly an MRA, judging by his OP
 toad 15 Oct 2014

> This chick attention whoring again?

Is this an appropriate response? Really?

Removed User 15 Oct 2014
In reply to ByEek:

I didn't call her a whore. I said she was attention whoring. It doesn't mean what you think it means.

You need to look at the bigger picture - she's done this before to gain money from her followers. She's attention seeking.
 Chris the Tall 15 Oct 2014

> This chick attention whoring again?

Doing your best to dispel the myths regarding misogyny amongst gamers.
Removed User 15 Oct 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

The irony is I play a lot of rpgs and the girls tend to outnumber the guys by a decent percentage. Most of them can't stand this girl either. Like I said above, the comments probably look bad if you don't know the whole picture (which by the responses it looks like no one here does).
 ByEek 15 Oct 2014

Of course she is seeking attention - you might say it is her job. She is running a campaign. What is wrong with that? How is it any different to Wildcountry running an advertising campaign or Chris Bonnington campaigning on access rights?

It is the fact that you seem more offended by the fact that she is running a feminist campaign (you call it attention whoring) whilst completely ignore the fact that people have been making death threats against her. I presume you do not condone such death threats.
 Mike Stretford 15 Oct 2014

> Like I said above, the comments probably look bad if you don't know the whole picture (which by the responses it looks like no one here does).

Given that you didn't have the sense to not use 'chick' and 'whoring' on a thread related to feminism, people unfamiliar with the issue are now unlikely to trust your assessment of the situation.
Removed User 15 Oct 2014
In reply to ByEek:
> Of course she is seeking attention - you might say it is her job. She is running a campaign. What is wrong with that?

I don't care about her campaign, in fact I do agree with her general point of view when it comes to how females are portrayed in gaming (which has nothing to do with this thread). What I don't like is her playing a professional victim to scam her followers while hiding behind said campaign. It's deceitful. Anyone - male or female - who says anything against her is instantly pounced on by people saying they are attacking her feminist ideals, when that's usually not the case.

edit: cna't splel
Post edited at 16:05

> The irony is I play a lot of rpgs and the girls tend to outnumber the guys by a decent percentage. Most of them can't stand this girl either.

Whats that got to do with your opinion of her - girls hate her so you have to too?

Strange logic.

Removed User 15 Oct 2014

It doesn't have anything to do with my opinion. I never said it did. Nice try though.

> I don't care about her campaign, ... What I don't like is her playing a professional victim to scam her followers while hiding behind said campaign. It's deceitful.

c'mon, there's no evidence this is true.

> It doesn't have anything to do with my opinion. I never said it did. Nice try though.

Then why mention it if it wasn't to justify your opinion of her as an 'attention whore'?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...