UKC

Running a Business from Home

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 15 Oct 2014
Anyone know what, apart from tax etc, rules apply to this?

The thing is the couple next door to us run a "part time" business selling stuff on eBay. No problem there except that every so often they have pallett loads of goods delivered which they sell on.

These deliveries are made by big(40 tonne) wagons which often have trouble getting in and out of our cul de sac. Also I'm talking about sometimes five or six deliveries a day. OK if they want to run such a business that's up to them but I think they could show a bit more consideration for the neighbours. If it were me I think I would rent a small commercial unit somewhere.

It's like living on an industrial estate with wagons coming and going, wagon doors banging etc.
 Andy Hardy 15 Oct 2014
In reply to FesteringSore:

A restrictive covenant on my house prevents me from doing exactly that, possibly worth investigating. But before that I'd be popping round for a chat. Good relations with your neighbour are solid gold.
OP FesteringSore 15 Oct 2014
In reply to 999thAndy:

>But before that I'd be popping round for a chat. Good relations with your neighbour are solid gold.

I thought of that but I strongly suspect the response would not be printable.

ByEek 15 Oct 2014

> I thought of that but I strongly suspect the response would not be printable.

That was my thought. Might be worth enquiring with your local planning office. I am sure there are no issues running a business from home, but then again, business premises are defined in planning law and a home is certainly not a business premise in that sense.
 whenry 15 Oct 2014
In reply to FesteringSore: Deliveries like that probably mean that they should have changed the use class of the property - http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/workingfromhome. If they haven't, you should get the planning guys involved - it's very doubtful that they would allow 40 tonne lorries in a residential cul de sac with that sort of regularity. Otherwise, you could sue for nuisance, but that would be expensive, and you would, when the time came to sell, have to declare that you had been in a dispute with your neighbour.
 hokkyokusei 15 Oct 2014

https://www.gov.uk/run-business-from-home

see the part about getting local council permission.
 Tall Clare 15 Oct 2014

Our neighbours run a business from home that involves receiving lots of deliveries. We don't tend to get 40 tonne wagons - they wouldn't fit up the lane - but we do have lots of vans of varying sizes, generally three or four a day, dropping off anything from small packages to large items of furniture. The houses are rented, and the landlords know about it, and don't have an issue - the only problem, which happens once a flood, is that a delivery wagon is in the way when we want to get into or out of the shared drive. We've talked about it with our neighbours, so we all know where we stand - they know we'll sign for deliveries for them and store things if necessary, and they'll do the same for us. One of our cats has become a shared cat, and they help us out with gardening issues (and tolerate our crazy dog), so it's all blissfully harmonious - I do recognise this is a very fortunate position to be in!

I think if it's causing problems I'd try to talk to them first, and then investigate planning regulations - though as other posters say, maintaining good relations with neighbours is something one should always strive for, because the alternative is rarely good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...