UKC

Fast show.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
andymac 15 Oct 2014
Seemed to miss this back in the day,but am currently catching up.

Simon Day's characters are brilliant .especially like Dave Angel.

Swiss Toni is a gem ; self styled sex god.

A quality programme , the likes of which we don't see nowadays.
 BnB 15 Oct 2014
In reply to andymac:

I'm not usually a big fan of Simon Day's characters but see if you can track down a podcast of the Radio 4 thirty minute show starring "Dave Angel" that he produced as part of series of shows for the channel. One of the funniest half hours I've ever giggled through.

http://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/radio/the_simon_day_show/episodes/1/3/
 Clarence 15 Oct 2014
In reply to andymac:

Yow aint seen me...roight?
 deepstar 15 Oct 2014
In reply to andymac:

youtube.com/watch?v=TAj7S7lyHdA& my favourite Fast Show sketch,watch it right through.
Clauso 15 Oct 2014
In reply to andymac:
Folkin' Country Favourites:

youtube.com/watch?v=gLPkmxa8zEg&
Post edited at 21:32
andymac 15 Oct 2014
In reply to deepstar:

Bloody Hell.

Did Auntie allow that to air?

andymac 15 Oct 2014
In reply to Clauso:

They remind me of Bruce
 deepstar 15 Oct 2014
In reply to andymac:

> Bloody Hell.

> Did Auntie allow that to air?

It's amazing they got away with it.
 winhill 15 Oct 2014
In reply to BnB:

> I'm not usually a big fan of Simon Day's characters

on mixed race genetics

youtube.com/watch?v=UrFa51JU3sM&
andymac 15 Oct 2014
In reply to winhill:
Good actor.the last bit is the best.

Also plays 'Competitive dad' so well.

Seem to have met a few of them .

Also;

Swiss Toni : - "putting up a tent is very similar to making love to a beautiful woman;
You unzip the door, put up your pole ,and slip into the old bag."
Post edited at 22:41
In reply to andymac:

"Which was nice..."
Removed User 15 Oct 2014
In reply to andymac: very funny and tragic at the same time.

youtube.com/watch?v=KF8U_v6S120&
 Lurking Dave 16 Oct 2014
In reply to andymac:

Hello, and welcome to Jazz Club, tonight, Botswanan jazz Mmmmm, nice.

LD
 James FR 16 Oct 2014
In reply to andymac:

One of the best sketches in my opinion: youtube.com/watch?v=IQHdGaMxzxQ&

Although possibly not aired during the original series according to YouTube comments...
Removed User 16 Oct 2014
In reply to andymac:

I never thought much of it tbh, repetition of the same joke can be funny but the Fast Show didn't do it for me.

Except for Ralph and Ted. That was brilliant. The premise was based on the film of a conversation between John Boorman and an Irish gamekeeper. The interaction and body language were identical, though I don't think there was an unrequited homosexual subplot.
 deepsoup 16 Oct 2014
In reply to Removed User:
> Except for Ralph and Ted. That was brilliant.

That was a good example of something they did really well I think - stirring a little bit of tragedy into the comedy. And doing it beautifully, genuinely poignant, subtle stuff.

I used to like the Rowley Birkin QC monologues, the amiable old chap telling incomprehensible stories that always ended "I'm afraid I was very, very drunk." They threw one sketch in that was just played slightly differently, a little bit more dead pan, and it was desperately sad instead of funny. Brilliant stuff.
 peppermill 16 Oct 2014
In reply to deepsoup:
If you enjoyed the Fast Show, you might enjoy 'Limmy's Show' if you've not seen it already. Basically a more modern Glasgow version.

youtube.com/watch?v=fNOmSXm7-eQ&

Not safe for work obviously and skip the first minute of ep.1
Post edited at 19:08
 Chris Harris 17 Oct 2014
In reply to andymac:

youtube.com/watch?v=IIW9sL-Yf6Q&

Reduces me to jelly every time.
 ogreville 17 Oct 2014
In reply to andymac:

Colin Hunt - say no more

youtube.com/watch?v=wqwDoMqyWxw&
 patrick_b 17 Oct 2014
In reply to deepsoup:

> I used to like the Rowley Birkin QC monologues, the amiable old chap telling incomprehensible stories that always ended "I'm afraid I was very, very drunk."

This is one of my favourite of his:

youtube.com/watch?v=1Cwyq3XWeHE&

I also used to love the Bob Fleming sketches.
 Thrudge 17 Oct 2014
In reply to deepsoup:
> I used to like the Rowley Birkin QC monologues, the amiable old chap telling incomprehensible stories that always ended "I'm afraid I was very, very drunk." They threw one sketch in that was just played slightly differently, a little bit more dead pan, and it was desperately sad instead of funny. Brilliant stuff.

This one?

youtube.com/watch?v=MlQ9KLrC4Us&

Wonderful stuff.
 deepsoup 17 Oct 2014
In reply to Tony Naylor:
That's the badger. Paul Whitehouse is a very good actor on the sly isn't he?
andymac 17 Oct 2014
In reply to deepsoup:
They all were.and are good actors.

There's a good Fast Show 'Comedy Connections' programme on YouTube ( I'm shit at links).Worth a watch.

Higson and Whitehouse were working as painters and decorators in the 80's ,after their chosen careers (pop star and don't know ) had died a death.

One of the houses they went to paint belonged to a certain Harry Enfield.

I suppose the rest is history.

The Rowley Birkin clip where Paul Whitehouse was dong his Olivier bit apparently moved the cast and crew to tears.

Talented lot.Looks like they had great fun.
Post edited at 22:29
 deepsoup 18 Oct 2014
In reply to andymac:
> One of the houses they went to paint belonged to a certain Harry Enfield.

According to Stephen Fry they did some work at the house he was sharing with Hugh Laurie at the time too.

Did you see 'Help'? Chris Langham played a therapist/counsellor, and Paul Whitehouse was almost all of his clients. Some of the clients were quite grotesque, but then there was the one old chap called Monty. Very touching story, and then just as it was getting a bit serious back into the comedy. Excellent. It would bear repeating, but I don't suppose that's very likely now after Chris Langham's disgrace.

> The Rowley Birkin clip where Paul Whitehouse was dong his Olivier bit apparently moved the cast and crew to tears.

Floored me the first time I saw it, not least because it was so unexpected.
 Thrudge 18 Oct 2014
In reply to andymac:
> The Rowley Birkin clip where Paul Whitehouse was dong his Olivier bit apparently moved the cast and crew to tears.

Me too. Almost got me that way the first time I saw it and has hit me hard every time since. The first time, it was only awe and disbelief that actually prevented me from crying. Since then, tears. It is a thing of beauty.

andymac 19 Oct 2014
In reply to Chris Harris:

Loving Jonny .my kind of nut job.

Black! Black!
 Jon Stewart 19 Oct 2014
In reply to andymac:

> They all were.and are good actors.

> One of the houses they went to paint belonged to a certain Harry Enfield.

Great thread this!

I'm also a huge fan of Harry and Paul. Missed most of it when it was shown, but it contains countless absolute gems. The acting from both is marvellous.

youtube.com/watch?v=yKL7Qem0k8U&

youtube.com/watch?v=eC4qCIgMIy4&

youtube.com/watch?v=-2z-AdzgKjY&

petegunn 19 Oct 2014
In reply to andymac:

This week, i ave been mostly eating, Bourbon biscuits!

Brillllllliant
 Chris Harris 20 Oct 2014
In reply to andymac:

And, of course, The 13th Duke........

youtube.com/watch?v=aUFidVw66Mo&

Genius.
 Hamfunk 20 Oct 2014
In reply to andymac:
Great thread!

Here's one of the funny / darker ones I watched a few days ago:

youtube.com/watch?v=6UFUxTZwsJk&

Also the offroaders going climbing is a belter (Series 2 Episode 4) - can't find a link on YT.
Post edited at 21:30
Removed User 21 Oct 2014
In reply to Hamfunk:

Yeah, that just reminded me "rock blindness" had me rolling on the floor laughing.
 Si_G 22 Oct 2014
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

youtube.com/watch?v=_PFPgOIM6Dc&

Skip on to 12:15 for the climbers
 ThunderCat 22 Oct 2014
In reply to Removed User:
> I never thought much of it tbh, repetition of the same joke can be funny but the Fast Show didn't do it for me.

> Except for Ralph and Ted. That was brilliant. The premise was based on the film of a conversation between John Boorman and an Irish gamekeeper. The interaction and body language were identical, though I don't think there was an unrequited homosexual subplot.

There's a sketch of Ralph and Ted where Simon Day plays a real upper crust prick and abuses Ted ("Oh Begorrah! A Bloody Bogtrotter!") and Ralph really tears into him. An awesome sketch, especially where Ted gives him a really sinister warning at the end...("YOU HEARD"...(snaps shotgun closed)..."WHAT I SAID")

I think those sketches were my favourite. The last one, where Ted's wife had died, was actually quite sweet and poignant.
Post edited at 07:40
 Chris Harris 18 Nov 2014
In reply to andymac:

Apologies for the thread resurrection, I just remembered this piece of genius.

youtube.com/watch?v=UrFa51JU3sM&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...