UKC

Hurling/Shinty crossover

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goldmember 20 Oct 2014
First blood to Scotland in the 2014 series with a 3-14 to 2-8 win at the Bught Park yesterday. Second test to come in Newry on Saturday. Probably a good thing for the series that Scotland managed a win after losing the last few. Will be interesting to see how Ireland react in the second test.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04mltcp/shinty-hurling-international-...
Removed User 20 Oct 2014
In reply to goldmember:
Thanks for posting, good to see there is someone on here who recognises the only other sport involving a ball (even if it is a round one) worth getting excited about

A friend already posted this on FB but thanks for the reminder, I'll watch this later.

Quick yarn: my high school had a particularly strong boy's hockey team and I was in it. Years later, I moved to the Highlands.

Local bloke comes up to me."We're a man short for the shinty on Saturday afternoon. Have you ever played it before?"
Me, "No. What is it?"
Local bloke: "It's a bit like hockey."
Me: "I played that for my school. I was pretty good at it actually."
Local bloke, "You're in then, you'll have a grand time."

F*ck me it was scary!
Post edited at 19:47
andymac 20 Oct 2014
In reply to goldmember:

Was one of Scotland's best performances for a while.

Biped: You're a brave boy .Ive seen and heard of some of the injuries dished out on the shinty pitch.Worked with a joiner once who is one of the top referees.
OP goldmember 20 Oct 2014
In reply to Removed User:

I've played hurling to county level (highest level) and I have played the crossover game. Its brutal, hard to play. But A real good laugh at the same time!

I've also played hockey to a decent standard in later life and admire your balls for playing shinty!
Removed User 20 Oct 2014
In reply to goldmember and Andymac:

Ha, no bravery on my part. Had I known what I was in for I'd have concocted an excuse. I think i was the only player who didn't have a broken nose and/or missing teeth.

I worked with a load of irishmen from Mayo and Tipperary last year who were well into their hurling, they even brought their hurlies over with them just to keep their skills up. They had quite a collection of cranial scars as well...
andymac 20 Oct 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Forgot to ask ;

What team did you turn out for?

I'm guessing GlenUrquart ,or Ballachullish.
 Stevie989 20 Oct 2014
In reply to goldmember:

I used to play shinty for my work. It's a fantastic sport.
Removed User 20 Oct 2014
In reply to andymac:

Ballachulish, but not the 'proper' league team. 'Friendly' match. Those boys would have made good hockey players, impressive skill as well as balls. And afaik Ballachulish weren't among the best...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...