UKC

OS X Yosemite

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Doug 22 Oct 2014
So I've just had an email from Apple saying that OS X Yosemite is now available & is free. Any one tried it yet, is the upgrade worthwhile, any problems ?
Bellie 22 Oct 2014
In reply to Doug:

Problems with Wifi according to early reports. Poor connectivity and drop outs. Some unhappy folks out there.

In reply to Doug:

I upgraded the other day. It went pretty smoothly. Mavericks was such a good and stable system that it is hard to improve on I think so it is mostly just tweaks.

There is a problem with Java Runtime if you use any of the Adobe Suite. Apple don't like Java so it isn't installed and you need to install it to get rid of the warnings that it is missing each time you open an Adobe product. I ended up having to install two versions because of the various Adobe packages.
This discussion covers it - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6602999

The other problem I have experienced is that Safari went slow and started beachballing on me. Again, this one appears in discussions here - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6603972 and the solution offered there worked for me.

Can't comment on the wifi problems since I only have it on my desktop at the moment which is connected direct.

In general it seems ok in other ways but nothing sensational. The colours have all gone bit sickly on some of the Finder icons. Nothing has stopped working randomly like it used to with the old Cat-themed systems.

Alan

Only a hill 22 Oct 2014
In reply to Doug:

It's currently running on both of my machines. The only issue I've found is that the battery life of my MacBook Air has gone from around 10 hours on a charge to around 8 hours, but that's probably just a temporary thing while Spotlight re-indexes the drive.

No performance issues whatsoever.
 alam_kouh 22 Oct 2014
In reply to Bellie:

Just installed it as an upgrade to Mountain Lion, missing out Mavericks which I have on my laptop. Installation went fine, had to install an upgrade of iPhoto though. No problems with the wi-fi, but there are two copies of this machine appearing in the Finder - odd? Everything else seems to work although I can't run Matlab without fixing the java problem.

Obviously the wallpaper's great, but I can't see much if any advantage over Mavericks for what I do.

Oujmik 22 Oct 2014
In reply to Doug:

Running on both my machine, only issue so far is a weird one: the screensaver keeps forgetting its settings and defaulting back to National Geographic.
 Mike-W-99 22 Oct 2014
In reply to Doug:

Not noticed any problems here. I only have one java app and osx asked if I wanted the runtime downloaded.

New look may not be to everyones taste.
 Neil Williams 22 Oct 2014
In reply to Doug:

I quite like the new look and feel, not noticed any substantial functionality issues even though I've been running the beta for a while.

Neil
 JR 22 Oct 2014
In reply to Doug:

All good for me with a few minor niggles. Only major issue come across is that it's totally incompatible with PGP email (GPG tools) for the time being which I imagine doesn't affect too many.
 Only a hill 22 Oct 2014
In reply to Doug:

Forgot to mention: my Intuos graphics tablet isn't fully compatible with Yosemite. Pen and touch work ok for general use, but multitouch gestures are broken. I guess this will be fixed when Wacom pushes out an update of their own.
In reply to Doug:

Upgraded at the beginning of the week on my Macbook Air. Everything seems ok.
I also run MS Windows 7 through Parallels in Coherence Mode. I haven't upgraded Parallels, but Matlab/Simulink and all the toolboxes seem to be fine.
Overall the OS is starting to look more and more like the 'flat' iOS GUI, don't really like the bright colours for the 'traffic light' buttons, but the machine still seems to run really fast so no complaints, and no difference to battery life after hard drive encryption had finished. No WiFi problems either.
In reply to Only a hill:

> I guess this will be fixed when Wacom pushes out an update of their own.

Although Wacom appear to only offer updates for drivers for currently available tablets. The things are totally bulletproof - mine is over 12 years old now - yet I have been without a proper driver since OS 10.7. It still seems to function okay with a mouse and pen option, but I haven't had any real customisation options for years.

Alan
 Derek Jamieson 22 Oct 2014
In reply to Doug:

Installed on my mac mini and macbook pro and both are fine, if anything runs smoother than mavericks did.

Derek
 FrankBooth 22 Oct 2014
In reply to Doug:

Works well for me - Macbook Pro, old iMac and Mac Mini. I really like it, although if you fully integrate accounts across Macs, iPad and iPhone it borders on the spooky. Your phone rings, but you can talk through your laptop, and when a calendar event goes off everything starts pinging in unison.
Removed User 22 Oct 2014
In reply to Doug:

i trust everyone else has been able to to update iphoto because my bloody system cannot which I consider totally unacceptable, looking on the forums others have had the same problem which should have been sorted before the release!
 JJL 22 Oct 2014
In reply to Doug:

If you try to OS X in Yosemite you'll probably die. Bachar Yerian?
 woollardjt 22 Oct 2014
In reply to Removed User:

All I had to do was download an iPhoto upgrader, but of a faff but all sorted

No probs found as yet, seems to be working as smooth as Mavericks did
 Only a hill 22 Oct 2014
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

> Although Wacom appear to only offer updates for drivers for currently available tablets. The things are totally bulletproof - mine is over 12 years old now - yet I have been without a proper driver since OS 10.7. It still seems to function okay with a mouse and pen option, but I haven't had any real customisation options for years.

> Alan

Mine's a fairly new one, purchased this year — the one on my main Mac, anyway. I'm still running an original (beige!) Wacom graphics tablet on my LC475 running System 7, and if anything it's better for drawing than the modern one is (no touch support, obviously).
In reply to Doug:

Has anyone here upgraded from Mountain Lion 10.8.5 to Yosemite? If so, was it OK/trouble free? I never upgraded to Maverick because it had such a bad press, initially (I mean really bad.)
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> Has anyone here upgraded from Mountain Lion 10.8.5 to Yosemite? If so, was it OK/trouble free? I never upgraded to Maverick because it had such a bad press, initially (I mean really bad.)

You may need to do it in stages but they are all free now however it could be time consuming.

Surprised you heard bad press about Mavericks. I rate it as the best ever Mac system and a breath of fresh air after the direction Steve Jobs had been taking the previous upgrades. Developers I know seem to rate it very highly too, reversing a lot of the things that had started to make developing much harder.

Alan

When you say do it in stages, do you mean that I should first upgrade to Mavericks, then to Yosemite? (P.S. Haven't got much spare time at moment )

> When you say do it in stages, do you mean that I should first upgrade to Mavericks, then to Yosemite? (P.S. Haven't got much spare time at moment )

I suspect it will ask you to do that but maybe not. You definitely had to do that to get from one of the Leopards to the Lions.

Alan

OK, thanks.
 Only a hill 23 Oct 2014

I agree with Alan -- Mavericks was the most stable release of Mac OS I've ever used, far better even than Snow Leopard.
OP Doug 23 Oct 2014

So no major problems (my iMac uses an ethernet connection & my iBook is too old to be updated so wifi not a concern) but no great advantages, guess I'll update but only when I have time to spare

I guess MS Office works fine as no one has mentioned that, I don't have anything from Adobe other than their pdf reader but does anyone who has updated use QGIS ?

Only a hill 23 Oct 2014
In reply to Doug:

Office works fine. Don't use any Adobe programs.
 pog100 23 Oct 2014

I went straight from Mountain Lion to Yosemite with no problems. It didn't ask for any intermediate upgrade and all went smoothly.
In reply to pog100:

With all these Yosemites and Mountain Lions, I suppose this is an ideal discussion for UKC!
 seanjc 23 Oct 2014
In reply to Doug:

FWIW I run all my Adobe software using CC and all work perfectly on Yosemite. Maybe issues of others are limited to non-cloud based versions
In reply to seanjc:

> FWIW I run all my Adobe software using CC and all work perfectly on Yosemite. Maybe issues of others are limited to non-cloud based versions

That's possible since I am still on CS5 and it would also make sense for Adobe to drop the requirement for Java in newer versions considering what a security risk it has become.

Alan
 alam_kouh 23 Oct 2014

I went from ML to Yosemite in one go with no problems (iMac). I had to upgrade iPhoto and the Java problem discussed elsewhere but everything was fine.
 Only a hill 23 Oct 2014
In reply to Doug:

Thought I'd add an update as during my day of work today I have noticed some irritating bugs.

1. Lag when flipping between different spaces, or when firing up the app drawer.
2. Battery life on my Air is still much worse than it was before — and it's well past the point where Spotlight indexing could be affecting things now.
3. Little graphical glitches here and there.

I'm going to try a clean install on both machines to see if that fixes the issues.
In reply to alam_kouh:

Thanks. I'll do it soon. I gather that Pages 09 still works fine on Yosemite ? ?

> Thanks. I'll do it soon. I gather that Pages 09 still works fine on Yosemite ? ?

I don't think it does, but Pages is free now anyway if you have installed Yosemite.

Alan
 Only a hill 24 Oct 2014

But the new version of Pages is crippled and doesn't have half of the features that '09 has ... a lot of people have upgraded and regretted it!
In reply to Only a hill:

I didn't realise that. I don't use Pages that much. It is annoying when Apple make good Apps bad through upgrades - iMovie being the best example.

Alan
Removed User 24 Oct 2014
In reply to Doug:

Just updated. Have had to pay £37 to upgrade VMWare Fusion to version 7 annoyingly. Also Wuala will no longer work unless you install the Java 8 development kit as opposed to the normal run-time environment. This is annoying because it takes half a gig up on the disk. This is a java bug ostensibly, so hopefully will be sorted at some point.
 cander 24 Oct 2014

I'm getting old .... WTF does this actually mean
Removed User 24 Oct 2014
In reply to cander:

If you don't use Wuala or VMWare Fusion don't worry about it sunshine! Your oatmeal is nearly ready...
 cander 24 Oct 2014

Need to use a straw to eat it though ...
In reply to Only a hill:

> But the new version of Pages is crippled and doesn't have half of the features that '09 has ... a lot of people have upgraded and regretted it!

That is a huge stumbling block for me with latest book. But I've seen conflicting accounts on the internet, some saying 09 does work, and some not. Several say that, as long as you do a simple upgrade and not a 'clean install', it does work. Would like to know if anyone here has done it successfully because, yes, I'm told the latest Pages is crap.
 Mike-W-99 25 Oct 2014
In reply to Only a hill:

Which Macbook air have you got? Have you tried turning off the transparency effects?
 Rob Kennard 25 Oct 2014
In reply to Doug:
One gotcha I came across is that you get prompted to upgrade to the new version of iCloud, which is only compatible with iOS8 devices, and since i have an iPhone 4, the calendar and mail synching facility is now not working- and there is no going back!
Had a few problems with Ruby as well, since the Yosemite uses version 2, so you will need to run an update/ reinstall gems if you use them.
 Only a hill 29 Oct 2014
In reply to prog99:

MBA 2014 / 1.4GHz i5 / 8GB. It should be more than capable of running the new system. I tried turning off transparency but it made no difference.
 Jordangask 29 Oct 2014
In reply to Doug:

I like it, no problems as of yet!
 JR 29 Oct 2014

yeah, that annoyed me also. Operation print money for some 3rd party devs
 Only a hill 29 Oct 2014
In reply to Doug:

An update: after escalating problems on both of my machines, which I need to be stable for work, I've downgraded to Mavericks. The issues didn't surface until about three days after I made the upgrade.
 Mike-W-99 29 Oct 2014
In reply to Only a hill:

Clearly fast enough then!
I had a weird one in aperture where it ground to a halt. Fixed it by disabling and re-enabling iCloud.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...