UKC

Probably the best news interview ever with Richard Ayoade

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 23 Oct 2014
So, so funny. Never seen a more sober planned train crash.
http://www.channel4.com/news/richard-ayaode-krishnan-guru-murthy-interview-...
 Clarence 23 Oct 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Class! That was nicer, funnier and more watchable than most of the stuff branded "entertainment" these days.
In reply to The Lemming:

A thing of joy.

The worst of it was, though, when Richard described the influx of Norwegians into London as 'rats deserting a sinking ship' and the only thing which popped into my head was 'Rattus Norvegicus' [sic], which is the proper name for the brown rat. I was willing it to go down that road in a burst of surrealism. It's the reaction you have to Ayoaoaoaoade, because he's a genius and goes off at every tangent.

Martin
OP The Lemming 23 Oct 2014
In reply to maisie:

I'll be honest, I know very little about Richard other than Gadget Man and the excellent IT Crowd.

I shall do a bit of youtubing.
 mike123 23 Oct 2014
In reply to The Lemming:
thanks for that , very funny. led me to the tarantino interview, car crash tv, also very funny in a squirm in your seat kind of way.
http://www.channel4.com/news/tarantino-uncut-when-quentin-met-krishnan-tran...
 Denni 23 Oct 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Great interview, unbelievably weak questioning by KGM.
 patrick_b 23 Oct 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I loved him in Garth Marenghi's Darkplace. In fact I loved everything about that programme. Well worth seeking out.
 Blue Straggler 24 Oct 2014
In reply to Denni: .

It was a little bit "sledgehammer to crack a walnut" though. I am not sure that (until the final 45 seconds where he refers to the Tarantino interview) Ayaode comes out of it all that well. There's an air of "smug bullying" about the whole thing especially with his non-sequiturs.

OTOH KGM trying to steer it toward "black comedians" was awful and deserved a good prodding
 FreshSlate 24 Oct 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:
Not many non-sequitors in that interview. Everything he says is related, he's certainly contrary at most points, and ridiculed every question effectively but he only really deviates to bring up the Tarantino interview, and his commuting analogy.

This post made me think though, he had obviously decided to give the interviewer a hard time, premeditated perhaps. However, had channel 4 done a little more research on the book rather than his T.V career and background then it would have been a lot less embarrassing. I know they can't sell the book, but they should at least talk about it or why wave it about? The isn't, "isn't it great that you're successful and black" theme got the ridicule it deserved.

Does he feel like a role model to Norwegians? What kind of question is that?
Post edited at 02:45
 The New NickB 24 Oct 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

I got the impression that KGM was very much in on the joke.
 galpinos 24 Oct 2014
In reply to The New NickB:
> (In reply to r0x0r.wolfo)
>
> I got the impression that KGM was very much in on the joke.

So did I. He came across as a fan as well, seeming a little star struck.
In reply to The New NickB:

I had a 20% suspicion of this. I am still none the wiser though
 Rubbishy 24 Oct 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

That was just sublime to watch.

I suspect both were in on the gag and KGM seemed to want to let the interview go wherever out of awe if nothing else.
In reply to John Rushby:

I must watch this again with my "KGM in on the gag" suspicion-o-meter cranked up to 100%
 The Pylon King 24 Oct 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I have no idea who the guy is but i saw it yesterday and thought it was ace.
Pan Ron 24 Oct 2014
 Skyfall 24 Oct 2014
In reply to The Pylon King:

> I have no idea who the guy is but i saw it yesterday and thought it was ace.

Ditto
 Bob Hughes 24 Oct 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I've been out of the country for a few years - when did krishnan guru-murthy get so large?
 Bob Hughes 24 Oct 2014
In reply to mike123:

i thought quentin tarantino was a complete dick in that interview
 The Bantam 24 Oct 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Well, that improved my Friday!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...