UKC

Journey After Dawn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alan moore 26 Oct 2014
Who's read Bill Peascod's book? It can fetch a hefty price take so I'd put it off forever until one cropped up for a tenner on Amazon the other day.
I'm about half way through and it's one of the best climbing biographies I've ever read. He could really write. The setting and the time alone set it apart from similar books....
 Tom Valentine 27 Oct 2014
In reply to alan moore:

The Peascod/ Bonington episode of the Lakes climbing progs was the first and best, I thought.
Unfortunately some versions seem to have been edited for swearing.
Eagle Front, in the wet, old ropes, gym shoes and combined tactics.
And Sir Chris (or the helicopter pilot) had been thoughtful enough to stash a bottle of fizzy stuff next to the top belay beforehand.
 OMR 27 Oct 2014
In reply to alan moore:

It's a long long time since I read that, but I remember being enthralled and inspired by the guy.
OP alan moore 27 Oct 2014
In reply to Tom Valentine:
I never saw that, although I do have the Border/channel 4 book of the series. Haven't found the Peascod's episode on YouTube yet though...
 Tom Valentine 27 Oct 2014
In reply to alan moore:

You can get it on Amazon, though, as I say, it may be the edited version.

I don't think profanity is glamorous and am appalled at the likes of Chubby Brown and Connolly who make a living from it - but Peascod on the crux traverse was a delight and I don't think I've ever heard the phrase "f*ck all" used more appropriately before or since.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...