UKC

So Jack Bruce has gone to the White Room.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 veteye 26 Oct 2014
I was shocked about the news yesterday.It brought back to me the era when my older brothers educated me when I was about 11 about Cream and Clapton and Baker,along with Jack's new solo albums.
I have to say that he was less good when I saw him on Later on the TV,more recently,but all musicians can have less good phases,especially when they are older/ill.
It is good to listen to Planet Rock and hear the various tracks and comments.
Sad to see him go.
Rob
Removed User 26 Oct 2014
In reply to veteye:
Cream were probably the most extravagantly gifted band ever in terms of their member's musical abilties, JB's singing included. There was a good doc on tv a couple of yearsa go when JB was at CelticConnections in Glasgow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/celticconnections/2012/artists/jack_bruce_lau/

I saw him and his band play in a hotel bar in kirkcaldy in the early 80s. My cousin was in the support group, he said JB was a gentleman.

RIP indeed.
Post edited at 21:46
OP veteye 26 Oct 2014
In reply to Removed User:

I hope that BBC4 do a documentary on him.That would be good to see as well as the one you point out.
The only problem with those is that I end up staying up later than I would normally as I get hooked on everything musical on there.

You were lucky to see him.

Thank you for the link.I will watch it when I am not working on the other part of the computer.
 colinakmc 27 Oct 2014
In reply to veteye:

Copy that. I saw him in Hamilton in the 70's and then about 18 months (I think) ago in Perth. No one else did such complex, "difficult" music with such a direct emotional connection - for me at any rate. He'll be so missed.
 felt 27 Oct 2014
In reply to Removed User:

> Cream were probably the most extravagantly gifted band ever in terms of their member's musical abilties ...

Interesting. Baker was the weak link I'd say. An average skinsman, if a great showman. The members of the original Soft Machine, or Pastorius-era Weather Report, even Led Zep and the Police, among many others, were better imo. That said, "Ulysses" is unsurpassed, but then perhaps mainly for EC's wah-wah break.
 kevin stephens 31 Oct 2014
In reply to veteye:

Time to get into the Big Black Car! I particular like his version of this on a solo album post Cream
 malk 31 Oct 2014
In reply to kevin stephens:

have you seen this? youtube.com/watch?v=UZF1HrWKi68&
 IM 31 Oct 2014
In reply to veteye:

Another great gone. Saw him in Dundee in the 80's, what a fantastic voice he had as well as his brilliant bass playing.

This is good - two greats, both gone now, having a jam - youtube.com/watch?v=DXk--eL5-kQ&

In reply to veteye:
I think Jack Bruce was one of the greatest Bassists to come out of that era but I also think that someone else deserves credit for some of the lyrics to his great songs - Pete Brown is undervalued in this respect. White Room, Politician & Sunshine of your love were all lyrics written by Pete Brown.
Post edited at 20:13
In reply to veteye:
My introduction to Cream was by accident. in 1968 I bought a ticket to go to london with Salford University Blues Club which included visits to record stores where I bought Tamla Classics (Groan) but it also included a seat at the Royal Albert Hall to see a group I had never heard of say Goodbye - my education began then - I sold the Motown stuff and never looked back!
OP veteye 01 Nov 2014
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

I remember the slightly cringeful clothing they wore on that album,"Goodbye the Cream".
 Colin Moody 13 Nov 2014
In reply to veteye:

> I hope that BBC4 do a documentary on him.That would be good to see as well as the one you point out.

The Jack Bruce documentary (in the link I posted above) will not be available on iplayer after Sunday night.
 AllanMac 14 Nov 2014
In reply to Colin Moody:

Thanks for the link Colin. Great documentary of a great guy.
Redacted 17 Nov 2014
In reply to veteye:

I don't know anything about him but he was in the YCL and his Maw and Da were both Communistas.
 wynaptomos 17 Nov 2014
In reply to Colin Moody:

> The Jack Bruce documentary (in the link I posted above) will not be available on iplayer after Sunday night.

Being shown again tonight on bbc4 at 11pm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...