UKC

lead climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jj2014 26 Oct 2014
So im looking to start lead climbing ive top roped a few times a while ago so would it be best to start toproping for a while first or could i jump straight into leading .
 nickyprice77 26 Oct 2014
In reply to tj2014:

I'd recommend you do a course in lead climbing...esp learning how to belay well.
 dr_botnik 26 Oct 2014
In reply to tj2014:

might be best to get some tuition first eh? Where are you based, im sure theres lots of local clubs that could be situated quite close with experienced members willing to teach you the ropes. Alot of indoor walls offer "learn to lead" style courses as an alternative.

Probably a good idea to read up on back clipping, Z clipping and fall factors before you start.
 PPP 26 Oct 2014
In reply to dr_botnik:

Lots of people manage to twist their legs around the rope. That scares me a lot.
 Jon Stewart 27 Oct 2014
In reply to tj2014:

Personally, I don't think there's enough 'to' indoor leading to warrant a course, fine just to go with someone who knows what they're doing (don't guess, obviously!). But do make sure you can belay properly before belaying a leader.
In reply to tj2014:

> So im looking to start lead climbing ive top roped a few times a while ago so would it be best to start toproping for a while first or could i jump straight into leading .

Learning to lead belay is a three person job - one person climbing, one person belaying and an experienced person on the ground supervising the belayer. Learning on your own can also be a path into the 'leader never falls' school of lead climbing where a course will make sure you take and catch a few lead falls under controlled circumstances which will give you more confidence .
 climbwhenready 27 Oct 2014
In reply to tj2014:

There are times when it's not safe to fall off when you're leading. If you "top roped a few times a while ago" I'd do some more climbing first.
 nickyprice77 10 Nov 2014
In reply to jj2014:

I would recommend a course, my local wall does a 2 evening course for learning to lead climb and belay. I was taught by friends, but for my own confidence in belaying I did the course, which really helped set it all in my brain.

Once you are proficient, with a good belay buddy, I recommend doing controlled falling practice. I try to do it everytime if the wall is quiet enough, helps with the fear! (forth clip and above)

Have fun!!
 Andy Hardy 10 Nov 2014
In reply to jj2014:

I jumped straight into leading, and loved it.

Placing gear is not rocket science, buiilding a belay is not rocket science, they are both skills which can be practised at ground level, then done for real. If you can team up with someone who's more experienced that would be great.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...