UKC

Exact Audio Copy hangs on startup

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Now that I'm online at home, and have my NAS up and running, I booted EAC to change the output file location to the NAS.

Only to have EAC sit there and do nothing after it's booted.

I've uninstalled it, deleted the registry key, re-installed it without AccurateRip, added EAC to the Windows firewall exceptions list, googled for solutions, and I'm still drawing a blank.

It's bound to be something to do with the network security, but I'm blowed if I can think what. Sadly, it just sits there and doesn't give any clue as to what it's looking for.

After I first got connected, I rand EAC and it accessed AccurateRip, so it was been working since the network & security s/w were installed (maybe I need to check those dates and go through my 'system changes log' to see what I've changed since then...).

Any suggestions as to how to revive it, or how I can find out what service it's waiting for will be appreciated.

I'm not after 'use iTunes/dBPowerAmp/cdparanoia' etc alternative ripper suggestions, thanks. I'm used to EAC, trust it, and I want to get it working again.

When I've posted this, I'll try to obvious 'turn it off and on again'...

Thanks in advance

cp
 BigBrother 29 Oct 2014
In reply to captain paranoia:

Have you tried disconnecting from the network completely and then running it? Also when you uninstalled it did you check whether it had uninstalled all settings files? Windows programs can put files all over the place. ie manually check all Program directories and all user directories.
In reply to BigBrother:

Thanks. I tried disconnecting the network cable, turning off the firewall, turning off all security measures, deleting all registry entries and entire directory in 'Program Files'. Still no joy.

Looking through my change notes, I did a monster Windows update just after the last ripping session; probably five or six years' worth of XP updates since the machine had a clean XP SP3 install and update. I suspect something has been broken by one of these updates. One reason why I've stayed offline for so long; the computer worked, and didn't need fixing. All these marvellous updates seem to do is break things...

So I uninstalled 0.99pb5 and tried a later version I had kicking around, 1.0beta3, which I tried but didn't get on with; I have a long bug list for it...

But this did boot, and allowed me to configure it.

Tried uninstalling & re-installing 0.99pb5, but it still hangs.

So it looks like it's a problem with one of a huge raft on Windows updates, and the later EAC fixed it. So I'll have to go and get the latest EAC and see if it's improved over 1.0beta3...
In reply to captain paranoia:

d'oh. Went to configure 1.0beta3, only to puzzle briefly when it didn't offer to set up the drive. Got all the options configured, and stuck a CD in the drive to rip. Let's check this metadata malarkey. Oh, hang on, why is it saying 'no disc in drive'...?

Reason: drive not visible to system. I recall briefly wondering why one of the USB drives had been assigned drive D: a few days ago. I must have disturbed the data cable whilst unplugging a small drive whilst I was doing the Windows update; the CD was getting power, and would open/close, but not be visible. Lights were on but no-one home. And the missing drive confused EAC for some reason, but not the later one, maybe because it didn't know what drive to look for.

I did resolve some of the 'issues' I'd found previously with 1.0b3. So I might try that out for a bit...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...