UKC

Google Chrome has stopped working

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
On Lady Starkness' laptop -- running on Vista. It's been running fine for a couple of years and she was getting on with it quite happily ( browsing / FB / Shopping -eeek! )until it went awry. She wont mind me saying that she's not a confident computer user - and whenever she's not sure of anyting calls her personal helpdesk -- generally a string of expletives that would make a num-num blush tends to find its way upstairs, followed by a cry of "what does this message mean".

I've tried a system restore to when it last worked, and even tried uninstalling Chrome and re-installing it to no avail. (Its working fine on my desktop but that's running Windows7)

The Windows and Google online help pages are either next to useless or I'm a complete numpty in trying to understand them --( I suspect the latter.)

Having got used to the Google Chrome interface, Lady S is not overenamoured with going back to the Windows Internet Explorer browser - which she finds a proverbial PITA.

Anyone got any good suggestions ( buying Lady S a new computer is not one - and neither is trading her in for a new model).
 rallymania 30 Oct 2014
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

if you click start and in the little window you can type in (in win7 it's called search... in xp it was called run... can't remember what it is in vista, but hopefully you know the one i mean)

type

chrome.exe

and hit the enter Key

does anything happen? (if an error can you post the details please)
 rallymania 30 Oct 2014

if nothing happens...

check the taskmanager and see if there are any chrome.exe processes running and if there are right click on them and "kill" them
 Mike-W-99 30 Oct 2014

What error is she getting?
Is Internet explorer still working fine?
 Blue Straggler 30 Oct 2014

This happens to me with Chrome from time to time. Only really started this year. Usually closing and restarting the app helps (might take a few goes - force close via Task Managed because "Google Chrome is not responding"). Sometimes I have to reboot. Sometimes I just have to wait a few hours. I have never worked out what it is. The Wi-Fi connection is always good. It happened last night so I reverted to IE Explorer but then that went a bit wonky so I watched telly instead
Same for most of this morning. And now it is fine.

Assuming that there's a big chunk of code common to the various platform-builds of Chrome (Windows, Android, iPad, etc), then, judging by the Android version, Google are losing control of the development of Chrome. I rolled back my Hudl because the latest versions were buggy (they'd redraw the page, and then suddenly go blank, etc), and the reviews of the most recent versions are almost universally scathing. It's rather annoying to get a pop-up every day saying 'a great new version of Chrome is available!' Yeah, right. Not according to the reviews... At least the version on the Hudl update is fairly recent, and fairly stable, so I can easily roll back to that.

The iPad build I installed recently to fix UKC problems with Safari also crashes unexpectedly. At least it generally reboots itself when it does, and knows that it has crashed, and tries to restore the previous session.
 marsbar 31 Oct 2014

We have had chrome issues this week, have uninstalled and gone back go firefox for now.
Sounds like the latest update on chrome / windows Vista has caused the problem -- though it's always possible that a wrong 'button' has been clicked!

When something mechanical / electronic behaves unexpectedly the first reaction from downstairs is 'panic' - not 'what did I just do and can I go back a step?'
Post edited at 11:42
 Scarab9 31 Oct 2014

People are guessing here but there's not enough info to actually answer you so far.

First thing, what do you mean by "stopped working"? When you try to launch chrome does a window open? Does it connect to your home page or not? Is it some sites won't connect or all? Is there an error message?
Removed User 31 Oct 2014

Uninstall chrome and install firefox, use that as a browser. Chrome sucks anyway. If the problem is only an issue when you're running chrome getting rid of chrome will solve the issue. If you have the same problems with Firefox you at least know you need a bit more tech support.
In reply to Removed User:

Already done it -- Lady S is a happy bunny again!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...