UKC

Fell Racing taster - a few questions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
RockShock 30 Oct 2014
Hi,

I have been wanting to come over to Britain and run a proper fell race for quite some time and as the "Plans for the 2015" phase is slowly coming around, I am looking for some possibilities.

I'd be coming from Spain, so I'd like to run a race that would be hard enough to merit the travel and expenses. So, after a bit of googling, I found the Jura Fell Race which looks darn great - in theory.

As I am coming from the "continental" part of the trail running world, I'd like to ask a few questions:
- how difficult it is to enter the race? - I see that the entries open in March, how fast do they typically fill up (we have races in Spain that fill in 5 minutes...)
- I understand the course is not marked and it's just a sequence of waypoints. The regulations mention a need for map and compass, but don't specifically ban GPS. Is there some local ethics when it comes to using a GPS watch? Will it be considered by other competitors "unsporting" if I use such watch?
- is this a good selection for getting a taste of the fell running? What are other nice alternatives that could be easier getting to from continental Europe in May timeframe?
- any other things I should potentially know?

Cheers
RS
 Bob 30 Oct 2014
In reply to RockShock:
> - how difficult it is to enter the race? - I see that the entries open in March, how fast do they typically fill up (we have races in Spain that fill in 5 minutes...)
Races vary, some are quick some take a while. I don't have the current calendar to hand but I'm pretty sure that the Jura race requires you to show some previous fell running experience. Many of the longer (harder) races require something similar. The previous organiser of the Jura rang me up to ask about one entrant to ensure he had sufficient experience.

> - I understand the course is not marked and it's just a sequence of waypoints. The regulations mention a need for map and compass, but don't specifically ban GPS. Is there some local ethics when it comes to using a GPS watch? Will it be considered by other competitors "unsporting" if I use such watch?

So long as you take the indicated/required kit there are no restrictions on extra kit unless it's something like a navigational course where GPS would be considered cheating.

> - is this a good selection for getting a taste of the fell running? What are other nice alternatives that could be easier getting to from continental Europe in May timeframe?

It wouldn't be my choice of first fell race! The Fairfield would be a reasonable one to try.
Post edited at 16:05
RockShock 30 Oct 2014
In reply to Bob:

Cheers Bob,

I need to add to my initial post that I do have experience in trail running races in Europe, so I am not new to competitions, nor to the mountain environment. The thing is that fell running in Britain seems quite different from what we have over here, so that's why I wanted to give it a go. I would get in touch with the organizers beforehand anyways to make sure that races I did will fit their admission criteria....

Fairfield looks nice, but travel to make only 14kms - doesn' really calculate

Thanks
RS
 robert-hutton 30 Oct 2014
In reply to RockShock:

Hi
I would try Peris Horseshoe (Wales) might be able to enter on day or Benn Nevis (Scotland) very quickly fills up entries open in new year or Langdale (England) fills up early but easy to get in.
I would leave Jura for a while as it's best to make a week of it, as the journey is part of the experience, and it is nothing like continental races very limited marking if any and if the mist down even the best can get lost.
 robert-hutton 30 Oct 2014
In reply to robert-hutton:

Should have added that these 3 races are not trail races and run on mountains that are rough or very rough underfoot with big climbs and descents.
In reply to RockShock:

Check out the Fell runners forum - http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/
Moley 31 Oct 2014
In reply to RockShock:

You will find plenty of help on the FRA forum, and a diary of events somewhere on the site. If you are coming all that way I would consider doing several races in the short time you are here rather than going for a single category A long.

In the summer you can usually find mid week evening races (shorter ones) to get a taste and then a longer at the weekend, possibly in the same area. It is considered quite normal for fell runners to race weekly, or more!
 steveriley 31 Oct 2014
In reply to RockShock:

Jura is a tough race (not done it) just look at the times for the distance, but a real classic. Helvellyn and the Dodds is more runnable around the same time. The Excalibur in N Wales is highly recommended and a mix of trail and fell. I did it this year and will probably enter again. There were a few spaniards there actually. You need to pre-enter but can do so up to a week before. I entered about 10 to midnight on the deadline. Alcohol was involved.
 Al Evans 31 Oct 2014
In reply to SteveRi:

Jura is a great race, but I don't think GPS would be as useful as a compass.You need to know the bearing off the second (I think) Pap or you could get in serious trouble, you have to find a not obvious gully that takes you down through the horrendous scree, someone giving beta or a recce is a good idea. It's about 30 years ago I last did it but the bearing off the summit was something like 90 degrees and quite critical.
 Banned User 77 03 Nov 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Its also at times on Jura you have to run the wrong way to get the right way..

GPS's are fine but you'd need to know where the route goes because you can get in the shit.

Its one of the most serious fell races out there. I'd look at ones in the lakes first, Borrowdale for example.. Possibly the Peris as its basically following trails if you want it to be just through technical terrain.

Jura fills up but in bad weather you have to be mountain savvy...
 ablackett 03 Nov 2014
In reply to RockShock:

Jura is probably the toughest classic fell race there is, so I would say not one to start on. But if you have the skills to do it, it is in my opinion the best. It's just an amazing place and amazing experience. If you post your entry on the day you should get a place, but it does fill up.

Most of the classic longer fell races are pre entry, you have to keep an eye on the website of the organiser and post your entry soon after they open if you want to be sure of getting a place. LIke some have said, most of the longer races need you to have experience of long races, so you might ask "If i need long race experoience to do long races, where do I start?" Do some medium races, or demonstrate you have good mountain experience on similar terrain and most race organisers will let you in.

GPS is allowed, and some people use it, most don't bother because if you are racing you don't really have time. It's quicker to use a map and compass if you know what you are doing. It is hard to find GPS tracks for the right lines so you can just follow the line on your watch. People don't tend to give away their GPS tracks as they have spent years working out the best lines and don't want everyone to follow them!

Lots of good races in my blog post here. http://tickinghills.blogspot.co.uk/2013_12_01_archive.html
Perhaps look at Yorkshire 3 peaks, more of a trail run than a fell race, but a brilliant race with some tough climbs and will give you a taste for fell running without being so different from european running. Ennerdale is a tough race, not as tough navigation as Jura but it's long and a real classic with a bit of everything. Wasdale is also really tough, one of the classic Lake District races.

It is possible to do 2 races in a weekend, if you pick a short one and a long one, Lake District races are probably your best bet for this as they won't be too far apart.

Anything else you should know? We run races in all weather so you need to know how to look after yourself in horrid weather, get yourself out of trouble, read a map in bad visability and use a compass before your hands get too cold to use it!

Pete Bland does some race maps of the classic races, http://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/brands/harvey/80/ really useful as they are waterproof and you don't have to flap around with a full size map in a strong wind, also have some notes as to the best lines I think.

Send me an email if you want any more advise, happy to help. Good luck!
 Banned User 77 04 Nov 2014
In reply to ablackett:

Jura also do vet entries... Many give quick glances but I know Jura organizers phoned up one vet 50 to query his experience.. And he convinced them to let him run..

He ended up winning theV50 prize but his kids include a commonwealth games marathoner, 3 times snowdon international race winner and I think a British fell champ so decent genetics in his line....

He's also just a hard farmer who is fine in the hills..
RockShock 04 Nov 2014
In reply to RockShock:

Thanks a lot for all the replies.

I realise that Jura is tough, but that's precisely why I wanted to do it, especially if it includes a realtively complicated trip from mainland Europe - I just may not have a motivation to spend all this money and precious vacation days just to run a "normal race", although I do realise that all of them are worth running and have a great atmosphere.

I don't think I lack any skills to do the race - I have a mountaineering background and can take care of myself in all conditions so, while not underestimating the challenge, I think I'd be good to go skill-wise. As for the fog, it is always a challenge, especially in an unfamiliar terrain so I'm thinking I'd allow myself for a couple of days on the island to recce the route in good conditions. Also, my trail running experience includes races with scrambling etc, so technically I may not be too quick, but should certainly be able to do the race safely, baring some mishaps that can always happen. From the looks of it, it seems that the hardest part is the last part on the asphalt anyways....!

Thanks a lot to everyone for their suggestions, will have a look at the other suggestions too!

Cheers
RS
 Yalms 17 Nov 2014
In reply to RockShock:

Jura is class - if you can do it, you should.

To make a holiday out of it you could combine it with the Goatfell Hill Race the Saturday before or the Slioch Hill Race the Saturday after - both fantastic courses in stunning Scottish scenery. And there's always the similarly classic, if not quite so stunning, Kilpatricks Hill Race held the Wednesday after Jura just outside Glasgow.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...