UKC

Best sun trap crags striking distance of bristol

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kemics 30 Oct 2014
...that's not brean down

My girlfriend is cold blooded. Meaning that any hint of a breeze in anything less than direct sun light ends our day climbing. Can anyone recommend a crag that take full sun and is out of the wind. I was thinking shorn cliff and goblin Coombe but I think the base of the crag is in the shade due to trees. Sport or trad, I welcome any suggestions!

Possibly some sandstone across into wales? But I don't know the area at all
 alan moore 30 Oct 2014
In reply to Kemics:
Avon Gorge
Wintours Leap in the afternoon
Wyndcliffe

Or if you can drive an hour and a half...

Baggy Point
Just about anywhere on Gower.....all very sunny places (when the sun is out).

Dave Garnett 30 Oct 2014
In reply to Kemics:

Another vote for Portishead.
 Reach>Talent 30 Oct 2014
In reply to Kemics:

Wyndcliff quarry is probably a good bet.
OP Kemics 30 Oct 2014
In reply to Reach>Talent:

yeah Wyndcliff quarry and brean down are my usual go to winter venues. The problem is ive done most of the routes I can do so was hoping to find a new venue I've not been.
 ColinVern 30 Oct 2014
In reply to Kemics:
Haresfield Beacon is well sheltered and catches the sun quite well for the majority of the day. It's mainly used for bouldering, though it's just up the M5 from Bristol so may be good for an afternoon or a late decision venue.
 d_b 31 Oct 2014
In reply to Kemics:

Not much to add for the close up crags, except that you can do gower from Bristol if you have a full day and the tides are right. Box Bay is a good hour closer than Gower proper, and I have managed to climb in t-shirt in January.
 Rick Sewards 31 Oct 2014
In reply to Kemics:

Hi Caleb

Wynd Cliff main crag is just as good a sun trap as Wyndcliff Quarry if you plan it right. Don't go to the area round Questor - that's heavily shaded by yew trees. Go to the Left Hand Crag in the morning and start on anything from Papillon rightwards - Sinew is possibly the perfect winter suntrap route. Then in the afternoon go to the far right-hand end of the Right Hand crag - Klute and Shaft will be basking in the sun. The whole crag is pretty sheltered from the wind.

Shorn Cliff isn't great in winter - doesn't get any sun until after 1, and then it only slants across the crag. Goblin Combe is very good, but in mid-winter skip Owl Rock (the sun doesn't get high enough to get to the bottom of the crag) and go for the higher crags - the Arkenstone especially is a great sun trap.

When the leaves are fully off the trees then Dennis Grove (Symonds Yat guide) is a lovely spot - faces SW, and in the trees but they're mostly deciduous so plenty of sun gets through in winter.

Further afield I would have thought Tirpentwys would be good (not been in Winter, but it's SW facing and in a sheltered valley) and Chudleigh is a surprisingly quick drive from Bristol and I would have thought is good in winter - again, I've not tried.

Rick
 cas smerdon 31 Oct 2014
In reply to Kemics:

Fairy Cave is quite sheltered and catches the sun.
 obi-wan nick b 31 Oct 2014
In reply to Kemics:

S. Spain via Bristol airport - Simples!
 The Pylon King 01 Nov 2014
In reply to Kemics:

Dinder Wood

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...