UKC

Filming yourself

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Wiley Coyote2 05 Nov 2014
Was out at Malham today and there was a middle aged guy filming himself walking across the pavement on the top. He was faffing about for ages with his piddling little point and shoot camera on a mini tripod. What is the fascination with people filming themselves doing the most mundane stuff? Are they just self-obsessed or is it the case that something hasn't happened unless they film it?
 The New NickB 05 Nov 2014
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

Perhaps he thought a visit to Malham wasn't mundane. Some people take snaps others like to make videos.

Not my thing, but hardly unusual.
In reply to The New NickB:

But he wasn't taking a shot of Malham, the great view or the fantastic light. It was a shot of himself, against a crap background (camera pointed sideways across the top of the cove at a boring grass bank). I could be mistaken but I don't think it was Mr Spielberg. Similarly on Crib Goch a few weeks ago a guy was filmng himself with a camera on the end of a short stick. But in his defence he was young and he was half-pissed (and still drinking beer as he went across)
 The New NickB 05 Nov 2014

People also take crap photos as well.
In reply to The New NickB:

But at least that only takes 1/125th. This guy was dicking about for ages setting up, doing re-takes etc . For all I know he's still there now.
 Yanis Nayu 05 Nov 2014

I don't understand the mentality of people who look at a stunning natural view, and think it's improved by putting their face in it.
 caradoc 05 Nov 2014
Perhaps he was trying to record something about his reaction to the place.
Dorq 06 Nov 2014

Perhaps he was filming a video for his daughter, who because she just lost her job can't come over to the UK for xmas this year and won't be able do their festive walk together. Perhaps his wife suggested that he get out and take some footage while the weather is good because now that his health is getting worse, he might not be able to do it in time, should it get much colder. If he does it this week, it will also be cheaper because it can go by sea post, together with the sweater the mum is knitting, and a bit of cash she saved.

Maybe he is making a tribute film to share with his pals, now that one of them can no longer walk their favourite ramble due to a serious condition. They hope to laugh and reminisce together over some beers next month.

Maybe he is just a dickhead?
 Blue Straggler 06 Nov 2014

Maybe he was minding his own business. Maybe you should too
 Cobbler 06 Nov 2014

Your post reminds me of the old women at work reading "Hot" magazine and bitching.
abseil 06 Nov 2014

> Was out at Malham today and there was a middle aged guy filming himself walking across the pavement on the top... Are they just self-obsessed or is it the case that something hasn't happened unless they film it?

I don't know, but he's lucky he didn't fall over on the pavement (I find that quite easy up there). Anyway your story and questions are quite good. I don't know the answer but I remember reading once that people take pictures so they don't need to look at the view - I've never forgotten that (I don't know and it's not my opinion, readers please don't argue with me about it!)
 Only a hill 06 Nov 2014

Live and let live, eh?
 GarethSL 06 Nov 2014

He's just there to ruin your day

youtube.com/watch?v=79FVxNhrMuc&
In reply to GrendeI:

He was just checking out the settings on his camera ready to record his ascent of Kinder Downfall next week.
 deepsoup 06 Nov 2014
In reply to abseil:
> (I don't know and it's not my opinion, readers please don't argue with me about it!)

Not my opinion, but if I were going to argue with you about not-your-opinion, I'd post this.

http://xkcd.com/1314/
abseil 07 Nov 2014
In reply to deepsoup:

> Not my opinion, but if I were going to argue with you about not-your-opinion, I'd post this.

Dear deepsoup, thanks for your non-opinion on my not-my-opinion! Anyway I have no opinion or comment on your non-contribution.... errrr this is proof I REALLY don't know what I'm talking (not talking?) about.

Thanks for the xkcd link, enjoyed it!
 mrdigitaljedi 07 Nov 2014

Or just some1 with a new toy, i know that feeling i recently aquaired a GoPro and didnt stop messing with it for 2 days before attaching it to my bike, and now it goes everywhere..................

Hope it wasn't linked to this unfortunate accident
http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2014/11/06/malham-cove-walker-dies-in-fall...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...