UKC

Perceived Reasons for Gender Inequality.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richy boy 13 Nov 2014
Posted with permission of UKClimbing.

Hi all.

I am currently undertaking a research study regarding the perceived reasons for gender inequality within the climbing industry. The purpose of this study is to investigate whether or not the uncommonness of female coaches and instructors within the sport of climbing is psychologically and/or physiologically related.

The survey contains a total of 10 questions and will take between 2-4 minutes to complete. The survey has been reviewed and cleared by an ethics committee.

All replies will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Richy Mardell.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/QNPRHLS
 Robin Woodward 13 Nov 2014
In reply to Richy boy:

Might want to clarify that this survey is directed only at climbing coaches/instructors.
OP Richy boy 13 Nov 2014
In reply to Robin Woodward:

Hi Robin,

Yes aimed at coaches and instructors aged 18 and over. Completely forgot to mention this. Thanks for pointing this out!

Richy
 girlymonkey 13 Nov 2014
In reply to Richy boy:

Just some comments that didn't fit into your survey. I'd say the outdoor industry is probably one of the least sexist industries there are, and from within the industry I have never perceived any different treatment or attitudes towards myself from any other instructors. Novices coming into climbing sometimes have a view of it being a 'macho' past time and the blokes expecting to be better than the girls, but never have I come across anything like it within the industry.
 marsbar 13 Nov 2014
In reply to Richy boy:

Have you got figures for this? I have seen lots of female instructors at climbing walls and out and about. Its hardly unusual these days.
 Kemics 13 Nov 2014
In reply to marsbar:

Certainly at my local walls I'd say there is a pretty even split of genders of the staff.
OP Richy boy 13 Nov 2014
In reply to marsbar:

Yes I have figures.

The providers of both the FUNdamentals and the new Mountain Training coaching scheme both have a massive gender imbalance.

Richy
 Yanis Nayu 13 Nov 2014
In reply to Richy boy:

Well something MUST be done!!!
 Oldsign 13 Nov 2014
In reply to Richy boy:

I find this curious. As a new climber with less than a year under my belt, my experience of instruction and coaching is quite up to date. I've had four instructors and three of them were female. Just my experience.
OP Richy boy 13 Nov 2014
In reply to Oldsign:

This is not surprising what so ever. If you read any sporting literature both historical and modern there has been an equal balance of both female and male coaches and instructors, especially in the earlier stages of development. However, higher up the coaching and instructing ladder there appears to be a gender imbalance. I'm not saying that females do not operate at a higher level, there is just an imbalance.

Hence my previous comment. 14 providers of the FUNdamentals, of whom 1 is female. 19 providers of the Mountain Training coaching scheme, of whom 1 is female.

As you said, you are ' a new climber with less than a year under my belt'. I would be curious to find out if you still felt the same way in 5 years time if you are operating at a higher level than you currently are

Richy

Oldsign 13 Nov 2014
In reply to Richy boy:

Aye, we'll have to wait and see.

Good luck with your study.
 Carolyn 14 Nov 2014
In reply to Richy boy:

I imagine you're right it drops off as you go up the qualifications (I know far few female MIAs than male, and no female guides) - but I'm not sure putting the providers "at the top" is particularly relevant - isn't that more an indication of who wants to run a business and fill in the paperwork?
OP Richy boy 14 Nov 2014
In reply to Carolyn:

I'm sorry but I don't seem to recall stating that providers are ''at the top''? However, if there are so few female providers then possibly this may be why there are fewer female MIA's and guides, potentially. Less females operating at a higher level may mean less female role models for young aspirants.

Richy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...