UKC

Schoolboy errors, Boots and Blood

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lex 17 Nov 2014
In all the years I've been walking or climbing in hills, I've visualised many scenarios, wondering how I would deal with problem X or predicament Y, but I had never thought about the pitfalls of having to complete a walk with only one boot.

The forecast was the best I’d seen for days, and after a frustrating week of waiting each day for a call telling me I was to leave for a stint of offshore work, I was keen to get out in the hills. I decided on a walk up Glen Eanaich , back along the tops taking in Sgurr Gaoith, and home through the forest. There were some nice atmospherics as I gained height out of Strathspey, cloud inversions and moody mists through the forest. All was going well until, halfway up the glen, I had to ford a substantial river, swollen by the heavy rains of the previous days.

I put my camera in my bag, anticipating a tricky crossing due to the depth, speed and cold temperature of the water, and pulled my boots off, one in each hand, with my trousers pulled up to my knees. I don’t know why I didn't tie my boots together and hang them round my neck like I have in every single river crossing I have ever done, thus leaving my hands free for all eventuality such as, for example, a boulder shifting under my foot. Experienced readers, or those with foresight and a grasp of consequences, will have noticed the schoolboy error contained within the previous sentence. Your Honour, I do not attempt to describe motivations or reasons for my actions – I merely present a record of the sequence of events as they occurred.

I stepped gingerly through the freezing knee deep water. Halfway across, a boulder under my foot shifted, throwing me off balance and I stumbled, luckily stopping myself from a complete soaking with my right arm. But this came at a price, the cost of which came only too apparent as I watched my right boot, with its companion sock stuffed inside, floating jauntily down the river at a rate of knots. Mid stream, feet somehow simultaneously both numb with and burning with the cold, I could only watch for a precious few seconds as my boot surfed the rapids. I stumbled as quickly as I could to the far side, dropped the remaining boot and rucksack and sped off barefoot down the bank, hoping painfully over the sharp heather stems, barely keeping up with the boot, which was by now some distance away. My last sight of it, still riding high in the water, was as it joined the main river rushing down the glen whereupon it performed a victory pirouette, and vanished downstream.

The situation now, Your Honour, was that I was missing one boot, about 6 miles from home by the way I had come, and on the wrong side of the river. With rather more preparation this time, I re-crossed the river and fashioned a foot covering out of waterproof trousers and a pair of gaiters I had (luckily) brought with me. I tried to follow the path of the river to find my errant boot, but due to the nature of the ground and my Heath Robinson footwear it was hopeless. With every view of the white water thundering down the glen, my hopes of finding my missing boot dwindled, and I reverted to walking somewhat lopsidedly down the track.

I remained, however, in good cheer, aided by a secret weapon I had fortuitously packed in my rucksack. Many years ago I had read of Mummery’s Blood, often intending to take it with me in the hills, and finally, today happened to be the day! For those unfamiliar with this elixir, Mummery’s Blood is equal parts dark rum, Bovril (although my vegetarian version used Marmite) and black pepper, served piping hot. The alleged properties of this hearty mix are remarkable: “Its effect on both mind and body is nourishing, warming, strengthening; it lowers angles, shortens distances, and improves weather." At this stage, I would, Your Honour, like to take this opportunity to affirm that it was only after the river crossing that I opened my flask and partook, not before. However, at each stop to renew and tighten my home made foot covering I would thereafter have a cupful.

In a similar vein to the philosophical debate regarding the chicken and egg, I am not sure as to the extent of cause and effect, but the stops to mend my foot coverings became more frequent, and my flask of Mummery’s Blood became emptier. It is not impossible, Your Honour, that the efficiency of the repairs became more questionable, but I can attest to the veracity of the claims made for the drink, as the journey home is a bit of a blur, and was over before I knew it.

This has not been a tale of derring-do in the mountains, nor an epic tale of heroic survival against the odds. I offer it merely as a reminder of the requirement to leave both hands free during river crossings, and if that is not heeded or relevant, as a confirmation of the magical properties of Mummery’s Blood. I would be interested to hear of other stories which also expose errors of judgement either on the rock or in the hills. Your Honour, I hope the court is magnanimous in its verdict, but more importantly, I hope that others will profit by the histories detailed here and hopefully below.

Finally, if anyone finds a right hand Brashers boot complete with attendant sock in the rivers Am Beanaidh, Druie or Spey, do please let me know.
 Hillseeker 17 Nov 2014
In reply to lex:

Ha ha, great story and well written!
Alowen 17 Nov 2014
In reply to lex:

Fantastic read, thank you.

Al
 JLS 17 Nov 2014
In reply to lex:
Like.

The only similar mis-adventure I can offer, while in some ways more dramatic, thankfully happened only a couple of hundred metres for the car and at the end of the day rather than the beginning. Being already slightly damp from a day on the hill and within sight of dry clothes, I figured wading a small stream in spate would be of little consequence and so it was I choose not to seek a more suitable fording point. It was only mid-flow that I began to comprehend the force of 2 feet of fast moving water. Quickly, I was fully immersed and bobbing toward the Dee(?) and contemplating the real possibility of drowning as I struggled to remove my heavy pack. I didn't drown.
Post edited at 09:57
 goose299 17 Nov 2014
In reply to lex:

ha ha brilliant story. It's cheered up my monday morning
 nwclimber 17 Nov 2014
In reply to lex:

A delightful piece of writing, Lex! Really enjoyable.

I'm not surprised you survived the experience, though, you must have the constitution of an ox! - "the recipe for Mummery’s Blood is equal parts dark rum, Bovril and black pepper, served piping hot". Respect!
pasbury 17 Nov 2014
In reply to lex:

I remember wearing a pair of the original koflach plastic boots and hearing a crunch and feeling a strange cool breeze making it's way into my foot. The left boot disintegrated completely over the next three paces. Luckily I was on the road quite close to the Cluanie inn at the time so we went there instead.
A mate wasn't quite so lucky when his koflach collapsed on the summit of Ben More Assynt.
 Mal Grey 17 Nov 2014
In reply to lex:

Excellent! Nicely told, and fortunately just an amusing anecdote in a not too serious a situation.
Clauso 17 Nov 2014
In reply to lex:

Bootifully told... You never know, following a few years at sea, your migratory footwear may well make like a salmon and return to the waters of it's 'birth' to spawn and then die?
 Welsh Kate 17 Nov 2014
In reply to lex:

An entertaining tale excellently narrated!
 wilkie14c 17 Nov 2014
In reply to pasbury:

while reading the OP my mind wandered to my own exploding Kolfach Vivas that got me on the walk up from the top gondola station to the easy gully. I didn't climb that day but retired to Fort William where I had to buy som Saloman mountain experts and they cripped me eveytime I wore them after.
I'm glad that reading the thread replies I'm not alone on the Kolfach front!
 Dr.S at work 17 Nov 2014
In reply to lex:

a key point here - boots on or off for river crossings? I've heard it said that you should leave your boots on and accept the wetness, as it gives better grip.

thoughts?
Clauso 17 Nov 2014
OP lex 17 Nov 2014
In reply to lex:

Thanks all, for taking the time to read my tale, and I'm chuffed it's been well received. It's always good to get out in the hills, and it shows how important packing a sense of humour is. After all, a sense of humour takes very little space , weighs next to nothing, but can help make many otherwise heavy situations much lighter.

Cheers,

Lex
 John Workman 17 Nov 2014
In reply to lex:

and it shows how important packing a sense of humour is. After all, a sense of humour takes very little space , weighs next to nothing, but can help make many otherwise heavy situations much lighter.

> Cheers,

> Lex

As Hinterstoiser remarked to Toni Kurz?
 Bobling 18 Nov 2014
In reply to Dr.S at work:

Yeah my thoughts too - when in NZ all the locals looked at you like you were mad if you suggested removing boots to cross a fast flowing hill stream with a rocky bed. I am a convert, I'd rather soggy feet for a few miles than sharp stones in sensitive soles.
 JLS 18 Nov 2014
In reply to Bobling:

>"I am a convert, I'd rather soggy feet for a few miles than sharp stones in sensitive soles"

I think you need to make a judgement call on a case by case basis. A long walk with soggy feet might see you with blisters than could ruin an extended trip.
cb294 18 Nov 2014
In reply to Bobling:
Depends. Keeping boots and socks as dry as possible is critical for keeping the feet warm. When I am on an extended trip where I expect to cross many streams without the help of bridges I normally carry a pair of light sandals for wading.

If I have to keep wearing boots (rolling rocks on stream bed, crampons required for entering or exiting stream,...) I tend to take off my socks and remove the insoles of the boots. Simply emptying the boots after crossing will then get rid of most of the water.

CB

edited for typos
Post edited at 10:49
 mypyrex 18 Nov 2014
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> a key point here - boots on or off for river crossings? I've heard it said that you should leave your boots on and accept the wetness, as it gives better grip.

> thoughts?

I'm with you on that. After a river crossing it's surprising how quickly one's boot warm up as long as you keep moving. I also find that careful footwork combined with a good pair of gaiter often minimises the ingress of water.
 Scarab9 18 Nov 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

I have laughed at many a runner who is squelching along long after my (sock less, minimalist fell shoes) feet are dry, all because a puddle or stream went over the top of their water proof socks

Thanks to the op for that fantastically told story, made me laugh out loud enough to turn heads from those around me.
drmarten 18 Nov 2014
In reply to lex:

Wonderfuly told, and I'll heed your warning.
 Steve Perry 18 Nov 2014
In reply to lex:

Good story, very enjoyable.

I met a guy in Horton -In-Ribblesdale whilst walking the PW in 1999 who told me his mate walked the longest section - Byrness to Kirk Yetholm - with only 1 boot, as the sole dropped off early that last morning and being so close to the end (well if you class 27 miles as close) went for it!

I also walked into Camban bothy from Cluanie with a friend and instead of going to the footbridge near to Altbeithe SYHA, we decided to cut the corner off which meant crossing rivers that were pretty full with rain. I waded across and my friend decided to throw her boots across to me. Now I'm not saying girls can't throw but basically one boot went more vertical than across and landed right in the middle of this very fast moving burn and we lost it in pursuit, only to find it again snagged on debris a long way down stream. The boot was always doomed though, having placed it to dry that night she awoke the next morning at Camban to find a piece of coal had rolled out of the fire and burnt right through it. My friend ended up walking out with one boot on.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...