UKC

Resoles Repairs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tonyaitch 17 Nov 2014
Always a pleasure to heap praise.
Over the last 25 years or so I've lost count of the number of pairs of rock boots I've had resoled. Just used Llanberis resoles for the first time and it's the best quality, neatest job I've ever had done. There are closer and therefore more convenient repairers to where I live, but this is the place for me from now on.
 cwarby 17 Nov 2014
In reply to tonyaitch:

Second that. Had to look twice to find the join!
Chris
jasonpather 17 Nov 2014
In reply to tonyaitch:

Anyone know anywhere in London?
jasonpather 17 Nov 2014
In reply to tonyaitch:

Just saw this and it made me curious. Anyone tried a home grown repair? After all it is usually just a tiny hole on the toe which goes, the rest of the rubber is fine.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/McNett-Freesole-Rubber-Repair-Glue/dp/B000PBTV0O
 jmerrick21 17 Nov 2014
In reply to tonyaitch:

I agree, very good job. 6 months on still holding up well
OP tonyaitch 17 Nov 2014
In reply to jasonpather:

Used some of that on a hole just before going out to Kalymnos. Lasted 2 days. The shoes I just got back from Llanberis Resoles are the ones I used it on - and I suspect they'll last a long time now. Like cwarby, I too struggled to find the join/repair.
 deepsoup 17 Nov 2014
In reply to jasonpather:
> Anyone know anywhere in London?

I think your options are:
Warrington (Cheshire Shoe)
Chesterfield (Feet First)
or Llanberis.

I've had a fair few pairs done at Feet First, with mostly very good results, but more recently had a couple of pairs done by Torquil in Llanberis and I'm happy to agree with the OP: he does excellent work.
In reply to tonyaitch:
Torquil is a genius. Never mind all my climbing shoes, this is what he did to my crocs: http://climberdurdensgearreviews.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/crocs-prima-resoled...
Post edited at 20:43
 Dave Reeve 17 Nov 2014
In reply to tonyaitch:

Unfortunately my experience has not been so positive. The resoles started to peel off the front of 2 separate pairs of Anasazi Verde although to his credit Torquil did offer to fix them at no charge.
 Pekkie 19 Nov 2014
In reply to tonyaitch:

Recently had a pair of Sportiva Miuras resoled there and I must say I am delighted. Best resoles I've ever had done by far.
In reply to tonyaitch:

On the basis that 'Other providers are available' can I sing the praises of Cheshire Shoes - two great jobs with a quick service over the last few years.
 Shapeshifter 24 Nov 2014
In reply to tonyaitch:

Agreed, Torquil did a top job on my Pythons and have plenty of mates happy with jobs he's done for them.
 hms 24 Nov 2014
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

When I sent a pair of my daughter's technical downturned boudering shoes to Cheshire they came back flat - no sign of a downturn left at all. She was not happy. Since then I've used Torquil and he does a super job.
 pebbles 28 Nov 2014
In reply to hms:
likewise - got a pair of anasazis back from Cheshire shoes with the toe neatly rounded off to a symmetrical rounded finish .
lovely for a walking shoe but not a climbing shoe! Doubly frustrating as I sent them before they had actually worn thru, so could have squeezed more use out of them
Post edited at 10:31
 Mick r 28 Nov 2014
In reply to pebbles:

> likewise - got a pair of anasazis back from Cheshire shoes with the toe neatly rounded off to a symmetrical rounded finish .

> lovely for a walking shoe but not a climbing shoe! Doubly frustrating as I sent them before they had actually worn thru, so could have squeezed more use out of them

Cheshire did that to mine as well. really frustrating. 4.5mm all the way across apart from where they chamfered the edges on the toe down to about half the original thickness. wtf...
 duchessofmalfi 29 Nov 2014
In reply to Mick r:

I'm afraid to say I sent a pair of shoes to Chesire and the cam back with so much rubber jutting out the front that I have never used them I was not happy.
 Chapel John.J 29 Nov 2014
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

I've used Cheshire Shoe Repairs on at least ten occasions, always satisfactorily, but I'm not a leading edge climber. When I pointed out my propensity to hole easily near my right big toe they compensated in the repair with longer lasting result.
 sdavies141 01 Dec 2014
In reply to tonyaitch:

Had 5 pairs done they were very good by llanberis resoles. But now at £50 with rands is quite expensive...... Think this price has gone up £10 since I had mine done.
 pebbles 03 Dec 2014
In reply to Sambo:

would rather pay a higher price to get my shoes back feeling almost as good as new (which they did, thanks Torquil) than pay rock bottom and get them back only usable for easy sessions.
 torquil 03 Dec 2014
In reply to tonyaitch:

Firstly thanks for all the positive feedback - it really helps to know that the resoles are appreciated!

As for de-laminations/peeling rubber that is the bane of every resoler and something that I do everything to avoid but there will always be a percentage of glue failures due to the forces and tension the shoes are put through. I will always fix them for free, or offer a refund if your not happy. De-laminations aren't limited to resoles either as I see plenty of shoes that have come un-stuck from new.

From new I see most de-laminations on various Sportivas but with resoles 5.10 Anasazis are the worst culprits with Evolv Bandits coming in a close second.

As for using Freesole, Shoe Goo, Black Witch, Stealth Paint etc. to glue up a hole my experience is that it can work but usually only for a very short time - if you keep applying it every few climbs you can keep a pair of shoes going a bit longer as long as your expectations aren't too high. FiveTen's Stealth Paint is probably the best of all of these although its not cheap.

I hope that is of some help, any questions do get in touch.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...