UKC

Would you grass up this guy?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 20 Nov 2014
23 years old, hasn't worked since he left school at 16. Went to college for a year, did well after 1st year academically but college told him not to come back coz attendance was so bad. His mum is registered disabled coz of mental health issues. He's her registered carer. He has Income Support, some kinda carers allowance, and benefit his mum gets. His mum sits at home watching telly, very little expenditure, micro meals and cigarettes,
he keeps the rest of the money.
In the past 18 months he's bought £600 bike, then upgraded it with £500 of parts, £300 of technical bike clothing, bought a tablet, upgraded his phone 3 times, bought a £300 graphics card for his PC, and now a £900 digita to SLR Nikon.

Then he comes round late and says he's skint and hungry and gets food given or bought.
 Oldsign 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:
If you think he's taking advantage of your generosity: stop feeding him. As for grassing him, the rest is between him and his old dear. You don't mention how she feels about their financial arrangements. Does he hold the purse strings or is she just being and indulgent mum? Maybe as he he is her main carer, she feels guilty that he is stuck at home on her account? Who knows?
Post edited at 00:34
OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Oldsign:

> If you think he's taking advantage of your generosity: stop feeding him.

Not my generosity, my ex, who I'm on very good terms with. She's stopped feeding him recently after my moaning. How can he afford that expenditure? I can't and I work 60/70 hours. I think he's screwing the benefit system.
 Timmd 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:
I guess it could be looked at in different ways, in that if he's been getting the money since he was in his late teens and he's now 23, he could have just gone 'splurge' with his money, and be less than decent at budgeting, rather than being somebody taking advantage of the system as it were. It does sound like 'treating yourself' spending somehow.

Relatively speaking, they might not both be on a lot of money, even on the combination of benefits. Income support is £280 a month, or £284 or something like that. If he's moaned about being skint they/he possibly can't really afford it?
Post edited at 00:59
Wiley Coyote2 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

Not really sure what you are planning to 'grass him up' for. You don't say they are claiming anything they are not entitled to and if their claims are legit I guess they can spend it however they choose. At least the bike is healthier than ciggies and booze.
OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

> Not really sure what you are planning to 'grass him up' for.

Didn't say I was planning to, wondering if I should.
In reply to aln:

> In the past 18 months he's bought £600 bike, then upgraded it with £500 of parts, £300 of technical bike clothing, bought a tablet, upgraded his phone 3 times, bought a £300 graphics card for his PC, and now a £900 digita to SLR Nikon.

> Then he comes round late and says he's skint and hungry and gets food given or bought.

Well if he has mugs willing to take up the slack on his food and fripperies, then who is too blame?

OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Timmd:

>he's been getting the money since he was in his late teens and he's now 23, he could have just gone 'splurge'

It's went on for years but I'm talking about what he's bought in the last 18 months.

>If he's moaned about being skint they/he possibly can't really afford it?

So how does he keep managing to do it? He turns up with new trainers but apparently is hungry so my his cousin, my stepson, who works, buys him takeaway. The three weeks ago they went to play tennis at the local community facility. He moaned about being asked to pay the fees he hadn't payed for over a year. The guy who voluntarily helps to run the club pointed out the new £200 racquet in his hand. He came away moaning about 'the attitude' of the guy at the club. Three weeks later he miraculously had the money for the fees.
OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> Well if he has mugs willing to take up the slack on his food and fripperies, then who is too blame?

I don't know. The state, the system, the Poles, you, his 17 year old hard working cousin? Maggie?
In reply to aln:

Anyone who supplies money or food to this guy, knowing that he has "bought £600 bike, then upgraded it with £500 of parts, £300 of technical bike clothing, bought a tablet, upgraded his phone 3 times, bought a £300 graphics card for his PC, and now a £900 digita to SLR Nikon, is a mug.

Let him starve, flog his kit, or man up and get a job.
OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> who is too blame?

He is, he's a sponging waster. The question is whether or not I should report him.
OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> Let him starve, flog his kit, or man up and get a job.

For once since I've met you on here, we're in total agreement about something.
OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Timmd:

> I guess it could be looked at in different ways, in that if he's been getting the money since he was in his late teens and he's now 23,

C'mon Tim he's had that teenage excuse for too long.

I usually defend people on benefits against the lazy big telly accusations but this guy seems to really be taking the piss.
In reply to aln:

> For once since I've met you on here, we're in total agreement about something.

Nice, cheers for that.

OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Oldsign:

>As for grassing him, the rest is between him and his old dear.

No, it's between him and the people who pay for his indulgent lifestyle.

You don't mention Does he hold the purse strings or is she just being and indulgent mum?

She doesn't care. As long as she's fed and has fags and telly.

Who knows?

I think after being part of the family for 16 years, I know a bit.

timjones 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

> Not my generosity, my ex, who I'm on very good terms with. She's stopped feeding him recently after my moaning. How can he afford that expenditure? I can't and I work 60/70 hours. I think he's screwing the benefit system.

Do you live in your own home, free to use your spare time as you see fit?

Does he live with and care for his sick mother?

Consider the whole picture rather than being envious of a few consumer trinkets.

Sir Chasm 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

You could grass him up (although you've failed to actually explain what you would be grassing him up for). But before you do, stop and think. If you grass him up that'll be one item to cross off your list of "THINGS THAT REALLY PISS ME OFF" and you'll have to pick another one to moan about.
 Rob Exile Ward 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

Who are you planning to grass him up to ... and for what?

And if Mum choses not to spend very much money and give the rest to her son, who are you to judge other people's lifestyle choices? For example, if I was disabled and had my children looking after me I think I'd take more pleasure in them having fun than spending the money myself. Shame if he sets such store on buying consumer cr*p, but then you seem to as well...
In reply to Sir Chasm:

I'you'll have to pick another one to moan about.'

Moaning - it's a bottomless well, an endless road, a journey without a destination - a gift that keeps on giving.
 wintertree 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

It is not clear to me that he is doing anything that could be "grassed up". Further; for all you know it's a splurge on long term savings, an inheritance or some other source? Or perhaps the guy got really unlucky and someone gave him a credit card or other loan
Rigid Raider 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:
If you report him you might as well include a million or so other British citizens who don't fancy working and are able to eke out quite a decent living thanks to the benefits system, thanks very much. I used to have an obese neighbour who had never worked as he had a "bad back" but thanks to having 11 kids and all the benefits he and his worn-out wife were able to take two holidays a year, going abroad while the eldest daughter looked after the kids.

One of the kids once saw my wife getting ready to go to work and asked her why and there followed a surreal conversation in which this 6 y.o. made it quite clear that my wife really didn't need to go out to work every day.
Post edited at 09:22
 jkarran 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

> How can he afford that expenditure? I can't and I work 60/70 hours. I think he's screwing the benefit system.

Who knows. Maybe he can't afford it, he's just making minimum payments on a credit card. Maybe he saved it a few quid at a time over years. Maybe there's some money in the family you're not aware of, a pension, an inheritance, a childhood savings account. Maybe he won a few grand on the scratch cards. Maybe it's none of your business.

jk
OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to timjones:

> Do you live in your own home, free to use your spare time as you see fit?

No, I rent from the council and have little spare time. As I said above, I work 60-70 hours a week.

> Does he live with and care for his sick mother?

He's supposed to, that's what the carers allowance is for. But he doesn't, the house is a sh1thole, the neighbours have complained about the garden to the council a few times.

> Consider the whole picture rather than being envious of a few consumer trinkets.

I'm not envious I'm baffled as to how he can afford them and why the taxpayer should be buying them for him.

OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to jkarran:

>Maybe it's none of your business.

Maybe it is as I'm paying for it. Indirectly as a taxpayer. Directly as he's a family member. He has his PC set up in my partners house. He spends all night there on the computer. She was unemployed (just got a job, yay!) and her only income was her job seekers, family allowance and the money I give her. He's basically taking money from her and my son to pay for his lifestyle.

Moley 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

Are you sure he hasn't got a job on the side, legal or illegal, seems a lot of spare cash (unless it is loans)? Then you would have a legitimate reason to grass him up, otherwise you have to grin and bear it.
 timjones 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

> No, I rent from the council and have little spare time. As I said above, I work 60-70 hours a week.

Many of us work long hours, I'm just baffled as to what you think this person can be "grassed up" for. If you can't name an offence then it just comes over as sour grapes.

> He's supposed to, that's what the carers allowance is for. But he doesn't, the house is a sh1thole, the neighbours have complained about the garden to the council a few times.

According to our experience his mother will get the allowance. It's up to her how she spends it. As far as I'm aware it's not a gardening allowance and I'm not sure that a pretty garden is any worthier as an outcome than a large telly.

> I'm not envious I'm baffled as to how he can afford them and why the taxpayer should be buying them for him.

It's part of the cost of care, as long as we pay people to care for family members in their own homes it's not really any of our business how the carers spend their money. Do you subject people who work in expensive care homes to similar scrutiny?
 TMM 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

> Then he comes round late and says he's skint and hungry and gets food given or bought.

That's just discourteous. If you feed him at set meal times and then does not have the decency to maintain the decorum of punctuality.

Not sure who the punctuality police are so grassing him up could be a challenge.

OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Moley:

> Are you sure he hasn't got a job on the side,

I'm sure. He laughs at people who have to work. Slags off his cousins (my stepsons) efforts to find a job.
 Skol 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:
I think I'd be more worried about the role model he was creating for my child. I know that altering this could be difficult.
Is he a victim of circumstance or a 'player'?
OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Skol:

> I think I'd be more worried about the role model he was creating for my child.

This is part of what p1sses me off.

> Is he a victim of circumstance or a 'player'?

He has a huge sense of entitlement.

OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to timjones:

>Do you subject people who work in expensive care homes to similar scrutiny?

No. They work, usually for crap wages. How is that relevant?
 RockAngel 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:
It sounds like he's got another income from somewhere. That's about £3500 spent in 18 months & benefits don't pay enough to justify that much spending. It took me over a year to save up £650 for my citizenship. He could have taken out those ridiculous pay day loans to buy all that but that's his problem. Even if he won something on the scratch cards, anything over a certain amount (£6000) has to be declared. You can do an anonymous call to the dwp fraud dept and tell them what you are suspicious about- they will then investigate it & if they discover anything, do something about it. You just have to keep it quiet that you've made that call...
OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to RockAngel:

> It sounds like he's got another income from somewhere. That's about £3500 spent in 18 months & benefits don't pay enough to justify that much spending.

Exactly.

You just have to keep it quiet that you've made that call...

Can't make up my mind to do that. Being family doesn't help. And although I've never said anything to him directly I'm sure he'd have a good idea it was me.

Timmd 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:
Have you tried adding up the different kinds of benefits they're both getting to see whether he actually could have afforded it on them?

It can take a while, but I managed to save up a few thousand while living with my parents, and on benefits due to health issues. If he's getting his rent paid and things like that, it's needn't be impossible for his money source to be legally legit.

Whether it's morally okay what he's doing, in spending most of the money on himself, is something else, but you might just have to put up with being annoyed etc if he's not breaking the rules. I can see why he'd irritate you.
Post edited at 12:58
 cander 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Timmd:

Try https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

You'd be surprised at what the joint income for him and his mother could be. Also has he actually paid cash for any of the stuff you're describing or is on the never never.
Moley 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

It will probably get even worse for you.
If he's bought the kit on borrowed money (cards, loan companies?), he has no intention of paying it back. So when they finally catch up with him he'll go to Citizens Advice, explain his financial problem, pointing out that any reduction in their weekly benefits will result in his poor old disabled mum starving and freezing to death in the winter. They will negotiate the debt down to bare minimum and ask him nicely to pay back £1 a week for the following 30 years.

Sorry to be cynical, can't help it in these situations - hopefully I am 100% wrong.
 Dax H 20 Nov 2014
In reply to RockAngel:

> It sounds like he's got another income from somewhere. That's about £3500 spent in 18 months & benefits don't pay enough to justify that much spending.

No they can pay a lot more than that if you know exactly what to claim for.
My gran gets £1500 per month in benefits. Her expenses including home carers add up to £900 per month meaning her current account goes up by £600 every month.
I keep getting calls from the bank asking me to move her money in to a savings account as she has close to 15k in her current account but I can't do that because she thinks it's been stolen if she can't see it on the current account statement.
At the last benefit review I presented all the figures and both current account and savings bond statements showing unequivocally that they are giving her a third more than she is spending and has been for years and the answer I was given is that she is on the correct benefits.
Her original paperwork was filled out by a relative who has made a career out of claiming and spent a lot of time researching exactly what and how much can be claimed.
The problem is that though she neither needs or spends the money she is entitled to it and every claim she has is is 100% legal, yes they stretch the rules to the breaking point but just stay on the right side of them.

OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Timmd:

> Have you tried adding up the different kinds of benefits they're both getting to see whether he actually could have afforded it on them?

Only in a back of a fag packet kinda way. Someone earlier on this thread estimated £3,500 in 18 months. On benefits that's taking the piss.

I can see why he'd irritate you.

Oh yes. It's a combination of exploiting the benefit system and taking advantage of his family. Two nights ago his 17 year old cousin bought him pizza, using money from her part time job.

OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Dax H:

Yet other people who are desperate don't get benefits they should.
 timjones 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

> >Do you subject people who work in expensive care homes to similar scrutiny?

> No. They work, usually for crap wages. How is that relevant?

Because we can pay for 24 hour a day care cover in a home or we can pay an allowance to a family carer. If the family care route is cheaper or allows a space in a home to be taken up by someone who needs it more then the system is delivering a good end result. We shouldn't be moaning about how the family carer spends the allowance any more than how the care worker in a home spends their wage.
OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Sir Chasm:

> you've failed to actually explain what you would be grassing him up for).

I think he's screwing the benefit system.

one item to cross off your list of "THINGS THAT REALLY PISS ME OFF" and you'll have to pick another one to moan about.

There are always plenty of them. This one directly effects me and my family.

Ramblin dave 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

> Yet other people who are desperate don't get benefits they should.

At least partly because recent governments have been more worried about clamping down on "piss takers" than making sure everyone with a legitimate claim gets what they deserve. If they tightened up the rules to stop people like your mate here, the new rules would either deprive even more legitimate claimants of what they need or be so complicated that they'd cost more to administer than they'd save.
 tony 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

> I think he's screwing the benefit system.

So stop fannying about and get on with reporting him, or shut up and stop whinging.

From what you've said, it seems to me he's very good at getting free stuff out of people. Maybe if everybody put down proper borders about what is and isn't acceptable you'd see a different picture. As it is, he'll carry on taking advantage for as long as he can get away with it.
OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to timjones:

How many care workers do you know who've spent £3,500 on consumer goods in 18 months while sponging off family members for food electricity etc.?
OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to tony:

> So stop fannying about and get on with reporting him, or shut up and stop whinging.

I'm not whingeing I'm wondering out loud in an online community inhabited by, @rses, and people whose opinions I respect. You're usually in the latter group

> From what you've said, it seems to me he's very good at getting free stuff out of people. Maybe if everybody put down proper borders

Those borders are being set out. My ex doesn't feed him anymore. Unfortunately as I talked about above, he still manages to manipulate his cousins. And the state.
 tony 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

> I'm not whingeing I'm wondering out loud in an online community inhabited by, @rses, and people whose opinions I respect. You're usually in the latter group

Thank you. In that case, stop fannying about and report him, if you really believe he's doing something wrong, as opposed to something which you don't like , for perfectly understandable reasons. If you don't, it sounds like it's unlikely that anyone else will, and he'll carry on getting away with it.
 3 Names 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

So when you discussed all of this with him, what did he say?
OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to 3 Names:

We don't talk.
 timjones 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

> How many care workers do you know who've spent £3,500 on consumer goods in 18 months while sponging off family members for food electricity etc.?

I wouldn't know because it's none of my business!
 Skol 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:
Do you have concerns regarding the welfare of his mother?
 timjones 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

> Those borders are being set out. My ex doesn't feed him anymore. Unfortunately as I talked about above, he still manages to manipulate his cousins. And the state.

Did your ex stop because she wanted to or because you manipulated her into doing so?
OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Skol:

> Do you have concerns regarding the welfare of his mother?

She seems OK. Not much change either way in the last 25 years.
OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to timjones:

> Did your ex stop because she wanted to or because you manipulated her into doing so?

She tells me she's been fed up with him for a while. I think I nudged her.
 Scarab9 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

this is such a weird thread. Why are you so defensive against those who are questioning the simple 'what are you accusing him of?' question?

If you're accusing him of being a tw*t, well sadly that's perfectly legal. If you're saying he's getting the legally allowed amount of financial help through the system and then squandering it....well that's also legal.
If you are saying you have good reason to believe that he is claiming and also working or similar, basically he's lying about his situation to get more money than he is due, then yes there is something you might want to consider reporting.

There may be things you're not seeing though. He may be bragging about having spent £xxx but really it's less, he may blow all his cash when it comes in and then live off scraps and handouts from people he knows for the rest of the month (seen plenty of those, in that case it's the responsibility of those helping to stop doing if they wish to), maybe his mum's got savings she's passed to him. Im not saying don't report him if you think he's cheating the system, but just decide whether you're believe that or just think he's a tw*t. One is illegal, the other isn't.
Removed User 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:
Narcism is a modern plague. Why worry what he's up to? Is it illegal, I don't think so. Is it harming you, probably not. Besides it could just be that that he's actually doing a fair job of looking after his Mum.
I frequently have to deal with service users who many would say are wasters. I rationalise situations in my own mind along the lines that I can take all the grief they throw at me by a four part process. 1; Their life is s**t 2; It'll be s**t tomorrow. 3; It'll probably still be s**t for the rest of their natural unless they decide to do something about it, which is probably a 50:50 bet at best. 4; My life is great but I've been through copious amounts of s**t to get here.
OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Scarab9:

I'm not accusing anyone of anything, I'm describing a situation and asking people's opinions of it.
OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

> Narcism is a modern plague.

You got that right.

Why worry what he's up to? Is it harming you, probably not.

Yes. It's costing everyone around him.

Besides it could just be that that he's actually doing a fair job of looking after his Mum.

I'm sure I already stated how little he does for his mum.

Ramblin dave 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:
> I'm not accusing anyone of anything, I'm describing a situation and asking people's opinions of it.

You're asking a direct question - "would you grass this guy up?" - to which the answer (or "people's opinions", if you insist) will clearly depend on whether he's actually doing something illegal to be grassed up for. But then you're refusing to describe part of the situation that's most relevant to the question, viz whether or not you have reason to believe that he actually is doing anything illegal.

(And checking back up the thread, you've accused him of "screwing the benefit system" in so many words, twice. So why are you evading the question of what you actually mean by that?)
Post edited at 15:58
OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Ramblin dave:

But then you're refusing to describe part of the situation that's most relevant to the question, viz whether or not you have reason to believe that he actually is doing anything illegal.

I'm not sure i what he's doing is illegal

Timmd 20 Nov 2014
In reply to RockAngel:
> It sounds like he's got another income from somewhere. That's about £3500 spent in 18 months & benefits don't pay enough to justify that much spending. It took me over a year to save up £650 for my citizenship.

I'm not sure about that, if there's two people getting benefits, and they have their rent and things paid as well, and one of them lives pretty frugally, if he's been mostly not spending the money over the past five years or so, since he became her carer, it's quite possible for him to have had that money available to spend, I think. It'd need calculating on the website somebody else has posted a link for though. Him having more money of that kind to spend in the near future is something else, but it could be a mistake to jump to conclusions, from a practical point of view more than it being something one should try not to do.
Post edited at 16:11
 Sir Chasm 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

> I think he's screwing the benefit system.

So shop him then and stop whining. Unless you mean he's doing something you don't approve of that isn't actually contrary to benefit legislation.

> one item to cross off your list of "THINGS THAT REALLY PISS ME OFF" and you'll have to pick another one to moan about.

> There are always plenty of them. This one directly effects me and my family.

How much will losing him and his mother their benefits affect you?
OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Sir Chasm:

> So shop him then and stop whining.

I've said already, I'm not whining I'm thinking out loud and discussing it. No point with you though, you never express an opinion.

> How much will losing him and his mother their benefits affect you?

Pardon? Getting him away from the house my son and my stepchildren live in will be a good thing.

Dax H 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

> Yet other people who are desperate don't get benefits they should.

It seems to me that benefit levels have nothing to do with actual need, the ability to play the system is far more important.
OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

There are people, children, who live crap lives because they're carer's to disabled parents. Yet this twunt gets away with it.
In reply to Dax H:

No sh*t.

Let's all wish for a better world, eh?
 Skol 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

> Pardon? Getting him away from the house my son and my stepchildren live in will be a good thing.
If you've concerns about his mothers care then raise them with the relevant authorities. I would ask them to check anyway. You don't know what goes on behind closed doors.
 Sir Chasm 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

> I've said already, I'm not whining I'm thinking out loud and discussing it. No point with you though, you never express an opinion.

Discussing what? You have still failed to explain precisely what you want to grass him up for.

> Pardon? Getting him away from the house my son and my stepchildren live in will be a good thing.

It's the law of unintended consequences. His carer's allowance depends on her DLA, is he not caring or does she not need DLA? You grassing him up might have consequences you haven't considered.
OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

FFS can people not read words then understand what they mean?
OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Sir Chasm:

Yeah you keep going mate. The Devils Advocate. Do you have any opinions?
In reply to aln:

I think we should accept that the general consensus is that everybody on benefits is, (select any number of the below,)

1. An angel
2. Downtrodden
3. Disenfranchised.
4. Suffering mental health issues.
5. Deserving
6. Only claiming what they are due.
7. Do not want to be on benefits.
8. Unable to find work.
9. Not able to work as benefits pays more than a minimum wage.
10. Trapped in the system.

Personal responsibility has now been eradicated.
OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> Personal responsibility has now been eradicated.

There's the nub.
 Nigel Thomson 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

Yeah, I'm quite bored tonight. PM me his full name and address and I'll do it tonight. Wasn't gonna grass anyone again coz it takes that long to get the 50 quid reward but I will on this occassion. Does he smoke weed? If so I will contact the police too. This man MUST be stopped.
 squarepeg 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

As stated:grass him up for what? I heard a story that "grassers" cannot be anonymous and themselves get checked up on, to make sure they dont have past history and are not just being vindictive. So be careful.
 Timmd 20 Nov 2014
In reply to stroppygob:
> I think we should accept that the general consensus is that everybody on benefits is, (select any number of the below,)...

What prompted that from within this thread?
Post edited at 21:17
 Timmd 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:
In reply to your title, I'd look into whether he's actually doing anything against the law before thinking about grassing him up. You'll probably need to be friendly than normal for a few weeks to find out.

What you've described (to me) only sounds like somebody who may have been saving up different benefits and 'had a splurge' as it were.

He doesn't sound like a helpful person to have around, but the wishy washy liberal part of me wonders whether he's actually happy in his situation. That said, I'd be annoyed at him scoffing at my son(?) looking for work, like you've described.
Post edited at 21:28
OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Nigel Thomson:

> Yeah, I'm quite bored tonight.

Is that why the rest of your post is you sounding like a bit of a d1ck?
OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Timmd:

> the wishy washy liberal part of me wonders whether he's actually happy in his situation.

I've wondered about that too. But if he isn't does that mean it's OK for him to sponge off the state and my family?
Zoro 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:hey aln
Perhaps you might feel better if you concentrated more on how generous your ex, and nephew are, they sound like good people who appear to have taken someone on their word.trust is a great quality in a person.
Don't sweat the small stuff, it'll only wind you up.you should give yourself a pat on the back for working hard, and having your head screwed on.Pick up the climbing guide, plan your next trip, write up your ultimate tick list, do some dead hangs!
In the words of the Frozen sisters "let it gooo,let goooooo"!

zoro.

Timmd 20 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:
> I've wondered about that too. But if he isn't does that mean it's OK for him to sponge off the state and my family?

I don't suppose it does. Presumably he wouldn't neglect his own mum, with some of the stories one hears about people falling through the net, when people are paid to call in and look after people, maybe it's the least bad option?

Post edited at 22:53
In reply to Timmd:

> What prompted that from within this thread?

The numerous posts absolving him from any responsibility, have you not read the thread?

Timmd 20 Nov 2014
In reply to stroppygob:
> The numerous posts absolving him from any responsibility, have you not read the thread?

I have, but nobody who has posted on the thread knows anything about the guy in question, so for all anybody knows, he may well be being legit.

To put it plainly, how the heck do you or I know enough to judge him on?

Post edited at 23:24
OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Zoro:
> hey aln

> Perhaps you might feel better

I feel fine, despite, or maybe coz of all the trauma I've experienced in the last four years.

if you concentrated more on how generous your ex, and nephew are,

My ex is wonderful, my best friend, the nephew is as I've said above, a total d1ck
Post edited at 23:43
In reply to Timmd:

> I have, but nobody who has posted on the thread knows anything about the guy in question, so for all anybody knows, he may well be being legit.

Qualify "legit" in this instance?

aln knows him, otherwise he wouldn't have started the thread.

> To put it plainly, how the heck do you or I know enough to judge him on?

We can make our own value judgements knowing that they are limited by, and coloured by, the evidence presented by aln.

OP aln 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Timmd:

> Presumably he wouldn't neglect his own mum,

I've already said. He buys her fags and micro meals.
 Timmd 21 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

> I've already said. He buys her fags and micro meals.

That could be all that she'll eat, as far as I know, though. Some people are funny with food. There's so much UKCers don't know about them both.
 Timmd 21 Nov 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> Qualify "legit" in this instance?

Not against the law...'Would you grass up this guy?'

This is getting silly...
OP aln 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Timmd:

Tim, I love you man. You go out of your way to be decent on here and you do well at it. But this guy really takes the piss and I think I know what I should do.
 Scarab9 21 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

What do you act so defensive?
Lots of people asking a simple question, what are you 'grassing him up' for? All this arguing and you don't say! Of course people are hesitant to agree with you, you haven't made your point!
In reply to Timmd:

> (In reply to stroppygob)

> Not against the law...'Would you grass up this guy?'

"Not against the law" does not equal moral.

If I was in aln's shoes I'd be keeping an eye on the parasite, and looking for any way to dob him in.

If he was taking the p!ss out of a family member of mine, scrounging off them when he has all these benefits coming in, I'd be warning him off contacting them, and issuing threats of a severe nature.
Post edited at 01:55
 Siward 21 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

Report him to whom? For what? Nothing illegal here.
In reply to aln:

I wonder what will happen when his circumstances change, his mother 's lifestyle doesn't seem conducive to longevity. When his income source (the taxpayer /benefits system,) drys up, and he now has to pay his own way. He doesn't seem well equipped to cope.
 Oldsign 21 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

Mate. Just have a word with him. Tell him what you think of him and that you don't like the way he's talking to your son and scrounging off your ex. That seems to be what's really annoying you, the benefits thing seems secondary to you judging by your responses.

You could even do him a favour and tell him he needs to drag his arse back to college or get a job.

Bellie 21 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

Has anyone close to him sat him down and try to help him work out why he is skint and hungry... do you care?

Having money coming in and not much common sense at a young age, sees the kid just bow to consumerism and want to buy the latest things... leaving sweet FA for the actual important things like looking after himself. Perhaps he has no one in his life to give him that kick up the arse he needs.

You don't sound you want to be that person. Just judge him as scum and a scrounger, and have done with it. I am not advocating hugging a hoody, but if you are so concerned, then perhaps try shopping him to someone who might be able to actually help.

jenniwat001 21 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

If you would consider her a vulnerable adult and feel that she is being abused (financially, emotionally or physically) then it is your duty to report the mother to Adult Social Care.

As for him, I'm not sure what you'd grass him up for if you don't consider his behaviour abuse.
 Timmd 21 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:
> Tim, I love you man. You go out of your way to be decent on here and you do well at it. But this guy really takes the piss and I think I know what I should do.

Thanks. Blame my nice family with me being the youngest, they've probably knocked the edges off me. ()
Post edited at 19:17
In reply to jenniwat001:

> If you would consider her a vulnerable adult and feel that she is being abused (financially, emotionally or physically) then it is your duty to report the mother to Adult Social Care.

Report the carer surely?
MarkLogan 21 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

If you're concerned about benefit fraud then absolutely report him. Benefit fraud is the same as stealing straight from your pocket, assuming you pay your taxes of course.
In reply to YetiMark:

> Benefit fraud is the same as stealing straight from your pocket, assuming you pay your taxes of course.

No it isn't! Benefit "fraud" is just the disenfranchised's way of trying to cope with the stresses of modern living which have been created by the evil bankers and UKIP. It's not fraud if it's done by the mentally ill or those who have not been hugged enough by daddy.
 Nigel Thomson 22 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

> Is that why the rest of your post is you sounding like a bit of a d1ck?

Is that right chief? It's no me that's on an open forum asking whether you should grass someone in for spunking his mothers carers allowance. Grass him in for wit yaclown?
 ciaran1999 22 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

So you're so worried about this ex of yours that you've essentially abandoned her to a child to look after. You don't have any real understanding of their financial situation yet you feel like you have some sort of right to inflict on their lives?

You don't care about this woman at all, bout time you admitted to yourself you're just an interfering c**t and a tout. How about you just let them get on with it and stop interfering in something that doesn't concern you.

P.S. - if you work 60 hours per week and can't afford to spend the sort of money this kid is, then your tax money doesn't amount to anything and certainly doesn't give you the right to comment on his situation. Your a proper jobsworth and you should probably try and fix your own life before destroying someone elses...
OP aln 22 Nov 2014
In reply to ciaran1999:

> So you're so worried about this ex of yours that you've essentially abandoned her to a child to look after.

Not my ex or my child. Try reading the thread properly and having an idea what you're talking about before you comment.

ciaran1999 22 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

"Not my generosity, my ex, who I'm on very good terms with. She's stopped feeding him recently after my moaning. How can he afford that expenditure? I can't and I work 60/70 hours. I think he's screwing the benefit system."

I'm sorry I may have misunderstood based on this comment which makes it look like you're talking about your ex.

So are you saying you're even further removed from the situation than we might have gathered? You do have a big nose don't you..

My comments remain.
OP aln 22 Nov 2014
In reply to ciaran1999:

> I'm sorry I may have misunderstood

At least you got that right.

> My comments remain.

Good for you.

Rob Exile Ward 22 Nov 2014
In reply to aln:

Did you ever clarify WHO you were going to grass up this lad to, and for what?
In reply to aln:

So, I think we can now all see from the replies here that this guy is a misunderstood saint, who is striving against all the odds to do the right thing.

And aln is a;

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/N-u0MXUpvLs/maxresdefault.jpg

Any wonder the country is going to the dogs?
Lusk 22 Nov 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

I think our OP has worn his spade down to a stump!
OP aln 23 Nov 2014
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Once again, I didn't say I WAS going to. And 'this lad' isn't a lad, he's a 23 year old man.
OP aln 23 Nov 2014
In reply to Lusk:

> I think our OP has worn his spade down to a stump!

Our OP disagrees.
OP aln 23 Nov 2014
In reply to Nigel Thomson:

> Is that right chief?

I apologise for insulting you. It was a response to thinking you were implying I was after the £50 reward. Didn't know there was a reward.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...