UKC

Technical mobile phone/e-mail question for boffins - Sony phone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richard Carter 26 Nov 2014
I'm somewhat baffled by my new mobile phone and I was hoping someone on here might have the same phone and know of a solution...

I used to have an iPhone but then I needed a new one so bought a Sony phone. With my old phone if someone sent me an e-mail then the phone would beep and it would be in the inbox. I *think* this is called 'push email'. With my new phone I need to go into the email app and check for messages. I would like the phone to do this 'push email' if at all possible.

I have had a rummage around in the settings and have changed it to check automatically every 10 minutes, but screenshots/text online say my phone can do push email. I've spoken to my phone provider and my email provider, both said contact the other :-P

When setting up an email account on the phone it gives me a choice of pop, imap or exchange. I have used POP. I'm going to ask on a phone website, but I thought I'd ask here too as you lot are usually pretty knowledgeable about stuff.
In reply to Richard Carter:

Would help to know your email provider and phone model, but I'm pretty sure you need to select Exchange instead of POP.
 Neil Williams 26 Nov 2014
In reply to Turdus torquatus:
I connect to my work email on an Xperia Z3 Compact using IMAP and I get notifications. You can't get true push unless you use Exchange (as noted) as POP/IMAP are not push technologies (though IMAP is better than POP as it supports folder structures on the server etc), but you can set the check frequency up a bit.

In the email app, go into settings->accounts->your account->check frequency and set a reasonably frequent one (ignore the "push" option). Every 5 (the most frequent) will do the job. If you prefer to use less data, every 15 is probably adequate.

Edit: read it again and it seems you already do that. That's all you will be able to do unless you use a protocol supporting push, i.e. Exchange or Gmail.

Edit again: It seems from more research the iPhone supports this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push-IMAP and Android doesn't (despite having a menu option for it on the Xperia).

Neil
Post edited at 12:30
In reply to Neil Williams & Turdus torquatus:

Ah righto, thanks for the replies guys. I'll just leave it at the 5 mins intervals. I like to respond to emails quick quickly so they don't build up - usually get around 40 a day to sort through.

Thought I was having a quiet day until I went into the app and checked my email then got 25 emails, oops :-P

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...