UKC

Best Breakdown Cover?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hey all,

I'm looking at getting some breakdown cover for my van as I can't now afford to be stranded in my line of work. Any recommendations as to cheap, reliable cover? I'm thinking maybe nationwide recovery and maybe home cover too would be good.

I am considering Green Flag as all the others seem quite a lot more dosh? Any advice greatly appreciated.
 Toccata 28 Nov 2014
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

AutoAid. A Pay and claim back scheme but been excellent both times I've needed them. Far cheaper than the others.
 The New NickB 28 Nov 2014

I get it included with my banking. Both AA and RAC have been providers, used it 3 times in 6 years, been fine each time.

I've got ford assistance on my company van, they normally send the AA, I've used them twice since Saturday (long story about a battery and where to get it changed) the response time on all three has been about half an hour.

Id actually consider joining if I had a personal car.
 wercat 28 Nov 2014

We're with Green Flag, after many personal recommendations from other people about them not quibbling over callouts.

The One Time we called out the RAC, after being faithful members for many years, as it got dark on a winter evening on the far side of the country from home with kids in the car and having walked to a shop to borrow a phone - they said we weren't covered for a breakdown as I had mentioned it was a wet day which they took as flooding! Took us 24 hours to get home begging jumpstarts from good Samaritans!

RAC = Robbery And Crime
 Rick Graham 28 Nov 2014

I gave up with my latest AA renewal. Sick of ringing up to knock the price down each year. This year they would not negotiate so I walked.

The Green Flag website was a pain, used them in the past.

With GEM now, good price and reviews.
craigloon 28 Nov 2014

We recently switched to Green Flag from the AA. About half the price of the AA renewal that was quoted, and more in the way of benefits, including homestart, which we didn't have on our AA policy.
 Kimberley 28 Nov 2014

Britannia -especially if you go to Europe
 duchessofmalfi 28 Nov 2014
In reply to Kimberley:

I'll second Britannia - never needed them abroad but stress tested them in the UK and the were extremely good
 joelc 29 Nov 2014

I've been a member of ADAC (the German organisation) for quite a few years as a friend is a salesman for them so I don't have to faff about with the language issues on their website. I haven't looked into it for ages but I think they're by far the cheapest & it includes European cover too. Within different countries they use specific national breakdown companies & in the UK they work with the AA. Used them once at home when my van wouldn't start & an AA man arrived promptly: because I'm with ADAC the three AA customers ahead of me in the queue got bumped. I also use ADAC for my travel/expedition cover which is also very reasonable (about 8 years ago they were the only organisation that would insure me for exploratory cave diving for 2 & 1/2 months in the jungles of PNG but am out of touch with insurers these days). Happy to put people in touch with my mate if anyone's interested.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...