UKC

Ale and Beer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goldmember 29 Nov 2014
I think i'm getting old, Normally a lager drinker. But i cheated on her with some cornish amber and IPA last night, they were much better. I feel so dirty
Removed User 29 Nov 2014
In reply to goldmember:
Perhaps you've become an adult!

In reply to goldmember:

youtube.com/watch?v=cXy6JHYa5Ks&

"Beer, beer
I want beer
From beer I get really drunk
Beer, beer
I need more beer
So much I pass out
For beer I'm working
For beer I'm fighting "
In reply to goldmember:

It's tastes so much better and doesn't make you want to go for a pee every 15minutes. With all the micro breweries around at the moment, you could quite feasibly never drink the same beer twice!
OP goldmember 29 Nov 2014
In reply to Big Jim The Climber:

I noticed this bit, very strange!

> want to go for a pee every 15minutes.
 squarepeg 29 Nov 2014
In reply to goldmember:

Well I tried some Greene King IPA other day, to say it was insipid is an understatement!
 gribble 29 Nov 2014
In reply to squarepeg:

Greene King is not an inspiring brewery. Landlord and Golden Sheep are very good though. As is Stancill No.7. And for a weaker beer, Brakspear Bitter is a fine choice.

Enough of this, I'm off to test out more....
In reply to goldmember:
I was in a pub which called itself the "Elephant and Wheelbarrow", in Melbourne last week. It models itself on "British Pubs" which it manages to do, without overdoing it, as most pretend Irish ("plastic Paddy") pubs in Aus do.

They had four English beers on, all of which were well kept, all of which were served too bloody cold! Aussies, you do not HAVE to serve bitter ice cold you know.

I had a pink of Old Speckled Hen there, by leaving it warm up for a while it was quite palatable..

Hell of a bloody price on the beers though! one pint and one large wine $27.50 (Roughly 13 quid.)
Post edited at 20:33
 goose299 29 Nov 2014
In reply to goldmember:

Try Doom beer then if you enjoyed the Cornish!
 Mike-W-99 29 Nov 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

I've had very good Aussie real ale at at beer festival in Brisbane so it must exist elsewhere in the country?
 jimjimjim 29 Nov 2014
In reply to goldmember:

Harvest pale converted me. Amazing pint.
In reply to prog99:

There are some really nice Aussie real ales, if you're lucky enough to find them. There's a place in the city centre here that does a few cracking brews. (all served too cold of course!)

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g255057-d3199326-Reviews-Th...
In reply to goose299:

Do you mean Doom Bar by any chance?

http://www.sharpsbrewery.co.uk/shop/?id=21
 Skipinder 29 Nov 2014
In reply to goldmember:

You should try Cornish Knockers...
In reply to The Green Giant:
> Do you mean Doom Bar by any chance?

Skinner's Cornish ales are better than Sharps though.

http://www.skinnersbrewery.com/
Post edited at 22:45
 The New NickB 29 Nov 2014

I enjoy a pint of Doom Bar, but I'm having a pint of Mayday from the Padstow Brewery tonight. Picked up a selection from the brewery when I was down there in August. It is going down very well. Better than anything I tasted at a beer festival yesterday!
 goose299 30 Nov 2014
I did indeed. I was pretty smashed writing that, to be fair.
Stuck in a corner at my missus' Christmas do whilst she was dancing away

I did try Stella black last night. That's kinda weird and got an ale taste to it. Anyone else tried it?
 Tom Valentine 30 Nov 2014
In reply to squarepeg:

> Well I tried some Greene King IPA other day, to say it was insipid is an understatement!

£1.80 in my local and overpriced at that.
OP goldmember 30 Nov 2014

I had this one and Tribute from the local Tesco, Both very tasty and much easier on the stomach than the larger i had.
 james1978 30 Nov 2014
In reply to goldmember:

The larger what?
 Thrudge 01 Dec 2014
In reply to stroppygob:
Doom Bar, Skinners, anything from Cornwall - I really can't stand it. I'm not knocking the quality, it must be the water that I don't like the taste of. It stands out in a big way for me. My loss, I suppose.

BTW, anyone besides me still mourn the loss of Ind Coope Burton Ale?
silo 01 Dec 2014
In reply to goldmember A hand pulled pint of Tiger at the Heathcoat arms croft( Its hard to beat)

kingborris 01 Dec 2014
In reply to goldmember:

Magic Rock
Beavertown
Kernel
Oakham
Thornbridge
Buxton
Odell
Stone
Flying Dog
Brewdog
Siren
Weird Beard

Graham Booth 01 Dec 2014
In reply to goldmember: Timothy Taylor's Golden Best or Saltaire Blonde, except no substitute
mick taylor 01 Dec 2014
In reply to Big Jim The Climber:

Totally agree - tonnes of good beer about. Noticed an intersting advert on TV last night promoting beer/ale drinking. Perhaps a chilled can of Holstein Pils now and then (whilst 'chefing').
 grump gnome 01 Dec 2014
In reply to goldmember:

Dartmoor Brewery do some very good beers.
Jail Ale.
Legend.
IPA.
Dragons Breath.
Just had some lunch time Legend!
 AdamCB 01 Dec 2014
In reply to mick taylor:

I struggle with a lot of microbrewery beer, usually find it too 'perfumy' for want of a better word. Adnams Bitter tapped straight from the barrel for me.
 Ramblin dave 01 Dec 2014
In reply to AdamCB:
It's generally heavy use of US and antipodean hops, producing lots of big floral and citrus flavours. It's great if you like that sort of thing (which I do), less so if you don't.

Not sure about the advantage of getting stuff tapped straight from the barrel though - it's generally considered to be a good idea to keep real ale somewhere around 12 degrees C, so while pulling straight from the barrel looks nice and traditional, unless you like drinking in really cold pubs or they've invested in some serious cooling equipment, the beer's unlikely to be as nice as it would be if it was kept in a cool cellar and pulled up through a beer engine.

Edit - geeky detail on the subject here:
http://ale.gd/blog/2014/10/supremacy-of-the-beer-engine/
Post edited at 16:35
 malk 01 Dec 2014
In reply to goldmember:

don't like the name/design/price but this tastes pretty good if you like IPA..
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16315/39435/
 malky_c 01 Dec 2014
In reply to malk:
I'd dismissed Brewdog as overpriced gimmicky stuff for years, but they do actually have a few good beers, that one included. Cheap in Aldi as well.
Post edited at 16:56
 Ramblin dave 01 Dec 2014
In reply to malky_c:

They definitely do some gimmicky stuff. The whole strongest beer in the world routine got a bit silly, although some of their stronger beers are fantastic in a share-a-bottle-with-friends-after-dinner sort of way.

Most of their core range is pretty solid, although I tend to prefer Thornbridge for doing that sort of thing slightly better and minus the annoying marketing drivel. Or Buxton or Siren or Beavertown for doing that sort of thing distinctly better but minus the supermarket chain stack 'em high and sell 'em cheap routine.
 malk 01 Dec 2014
In reply to malky_c:

aldi? really? what price?
 malky_c 01 Dec 2014
In reply to malk:

£1.50 last time I looked. I can't see it on their website though - maybe it's just a Scottish thing (they tend to stock a lot of Scottish beers that you don't get in stores down south).
 Mike-W-99 01 Dec 2014
In reply to malky_c:

> I'd dismissed Brewdog as overpriced gimmicky stuff for years, but they do actually have a few good beers, that one included. Cheap in Aldi as well.

Punk is one where they actually changed the recipe and (shock horror) reduced the alcohol.

Williams Brothers are putting out some excellent beer at the moment.
In reply to Tony Naylor:

> Doom Bar, Skinners, anything from Cornwall - I really can't stand it. I'm not knocking the quality, it must be the water that I don't like the taste of. It stands out in a big way for me. My loss, I suppose.

> BTW, anyone besides me still mourn the loss of Ind Coope Burton Ale?

Funny you should say that - I live in Cornwall and really appreciate the local beer scene - and many of the local beers. But I grew up close enough to Burton to not drink anything brewed elsewhere and I find when I go home, a pint of bitter is a welcome diversion. Two very different tastes, and Cornish ale can seem very light and frivolous in comparison.

But if you're sitting on the beach watching the sunset, I promise you Cornish beer makes perfect sense

Aldi have some very reasonably priced beer in: this autumn, oi 'av mostly been drinkin' Hobgoblin. Pound-twenty-five a bottle.

Martin
In reply to Tony Naylor:

I'm surprised mate, I've always found Cornish ales some of the best in the country.

Though the best pint I had on my last trip home was "Three Hares Ale" from the Dartmoor brewery.

http://www.dartmoorbrewery.co.uk/beer/three-hares-abv-4-4

As you say, maybe you and I have quite different palates when it comes to the regional water.
 Thrudge 02 Dec 2014
In reply to stroppygob:
Yep, I think it's definitely the water, as Cornish beers tend to have a family resemblance which I really can't get along with. It's rather frustrating, actually, because I taste them and think, "This is obviously a well crafted and well kept beer - but I can't bear it".

Of course, I don't have to bear it because we are spectacularly fortunate to be living through a Golden Age of Beer
Post edited at 01:25
 coinneach 02 Dec 2014
In reply to goldmember:

Get yourself down to Asda. Huge selection of bottled ales to mix & match 4 for £5 !
 squarepeg 02 Dec 2014
In reply to goldmember:

sam smiths is well worth a mention.
 Kimono 03 Dec 2014
In reply to Tony Naylor:

> Of course, I don't have to bear it because we are spectacularly fortunate to be living through a Golden Age of Beer

This is one of the main things i miss as a 'snowbird' expat.
That and a decent biccie
 Timmd 03 Dec 2014
In reply to Kimono:
> This is one of the main things i miss as a 'snowbird' expat.

> That and a decent biccie

What kind of biscuits would you like posting out to you?

It's nearly Christmas and I'm a biscuit fan.
Post edited at 15:17
 Kimono 03 Dec 2014
In reply to Timmd:

Aww, thats sweet of you.

Now, where do i start....

(sadly, there is no postal system here....but thanks anyway)
 Timmd 03 Dec 2014
In reply to Kimono:
You're welcome.

I'm thinking there should be a relief organisation for expats who can't get decent biscuits or jam or tea etc.

In Holland they don't do Yorkshire pudding!

My Dutch friend insisted on eating some when she came over to catch up during the late summer.
Post edited at 15:35
 Kimono 03 Dec 2014
In reply to Timmd:

i am often begging people to bring essentials when they visit.
In return i bring them fine rum
 Phil79 03 Dec 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

> Though the best pint I had on my last trip home was "Three Hares Ale" from the Dartmoor brewery.

I've yet to drink a beer I don't like from Dartmoor Brewery. Three Hares is very good as is Legend.

I also like the fact its brewed within 5 miles of my house!
In reply to Phil79:

> I've yet to drink a beer I don't like from Dartmoor Brewery. Three Hares is very good as is Legend.

> I also like the fact its brewed within 5 miles of my house!

I had it at The Peter Tavy, also had a great pint of Dartmoor Jail Ale in ...Princetown....

adi3969 03 Dec 2014
In reply to goldmember:

Saltaire triple chocoholic is as good as it gets and has won at the world beer awards
Beevertown gamma ray - stunning
Mammoth - paranoids - awesome but not found it in the uk yet
Loweswater Gold - easiest smoothest session beer on the planet
I could go on .....
 adi3969 03 Dec 2014
In reply to goldmember:

Brewdog dead pony club , great tasting yet still a session beer
moffatross 03 Dec 2014
In reply to malky_c:

> £1.50 last time I looked. I can't see it on their website though - maybe it's just a Scottish thing (they tend to stock a lot of Scottish beers that you don't get in stores down south).<

£1.50 ? LIDL sell various ales @ £1.25 / pint inc. (Belhaven) St Andrews (enjoying just now) and Bishops Finger, Hobgoblin and Old Speckledy Hen (hic!).
 goose299 03 Dec 2014
In reply to moffatross:
Aldi do the same aswell. Wainwright too. Lovely beer
Post edited at 21:32
 malky_c 03 Dec 2014
In reply to moffatross:

In reply to moffatross:

True, and I'm a big fan of the Inveralmond ales and Doombar at that price. But you'll pay £4.50 a pint on draught for Brewdog Punk IPA, so £1.50 a bottle isn't too bad.

Mind you, I prefer Black Isle Red Kite or Arran Blond if I can get it, and Hereford Pale Ale or Shropshire Gold if down south (wish I could find those in the Highlands).
 adi3969 03 Dec 2014
In reply to malky_c:

Aldi in Oban had a beer fest through the summer selling DPC for £1:25 a bottle , didn't stay on the shelves for long though
 Phil79 04 Dec 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

The Royal Oak in Meavy always have Jail and IPA on tap, plus there own Meavy Oak Ale (brewed by Dartmoor Brewery, which I don't think you can get anywhere else). They sometimes have Dragons Breath in as well. Very nice pub and worth checking out if you haven't been.
In reply to Phil79:

Good boozer, I lived for a short while in Hoo Meavy, so the Royal Oak and Skylark were regulars for me.
OP goldmember 06 Dec 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

Had a few pints of Dizzy blonde last night, was great stuff lemony finished very good stuff
 The New NickB 06 Dec 2014
In reply to goldmember:

Someone saying something nice about Robbies, a rare thing indeed.

I quite like it myself.
 mockerkin 06 Dec 2014
In reply to goldmember:

Jennings Sneck Lifter, but not their Cumberland Ale.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...