UKC

recommend a macro lens for canon, under 200 quid

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Christmas is coming.

I'm looking to buy the OH a macro lens for her Canon 550d. Something which she can take nature-y shots of flies' @rses with, that sort of stuff.

Absolute maximum budget is two hundred quid, but if there's something good for less, that'd be great (any savings would be put into further Xmas presents, so no misering going on).

Any recommendations?

Martin
In reply to maisie:
Second-hand? If so, this is supposed to be really nice, but you'd lose AF and would need an m42/PK to Canon EF adapter, (widely available).

http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/vivitar-series-1-105mm-f2-5-macro.h...
Post edited at 11:23
In reply to SidharthaDongre:

> Second-hand? If so, this is supposed to be really nice, but you'd lose AF and would need an m42/PK to Canon EF adapter, (widely available).

You'd need a what with a who now?

Reading between the lines, I suspect that the subtle directing towards second hand suggests a two hundred pound macro lens wouldn't be worth buying.

Yikes.

Thanks for the replies, though.

Martin
In reply to maisie:

Just chipping in with an option that will more than likely be different than the others you'll receive. Many classic lenses, (if in decent nick), will often outperform their more expensive, modern, auto-focus counterparts. The adapter is simply screw-on and allows this particular lens fitting to fit the generic Canon.
Removed User 03 Dec 2014
In reply to maisie:

The Tamron 90mm SP 2.8 lens is a long standing favourite and takes very sharp images, long been considered as good if not better than some of the major players. 90mm is a good length too as if you get the shorter focal lengths (50mm) it brings your camera body too close to the subject. one here http://www.ffordes.com/product/14010915204781 I had one years ago and took great images both in macro and as a portrait lens with it.
In reply to maisie

> (any savings would be put into further Xmas presents, so no misering going on).

No recommendations sorry -new hobby. However, two things I've learnt so far with macro are 1. Macro lenses are not that cheap new, 2. a tripod is essential, so if she does not have one, you can use any savings to buy her one!
In reply to all:

Thanks for these. Price-wise, it looks like a decent-nick Tamron 90 is about on-budget. Does anybody have any experience of these? Any macro photos to share?

I would, of course, do lots of research but Xmas is coming up fast and I need a bit of a head start

Martin
 icnoble 03 Dec 2014
In reply to maisie:

The vivitar is the better lens, both in build quality and optically than the Tamron. Also for macro you don't need autofocus.
 Durbs 04 Dec 2014
In reply to maisie:

If they happen to have the 50mm f/1.8 - you could combine it with a macro extension tube which gives very good macro results.

For under £200 (and getting good results), you'll be looking at either second-hand, or a macro extension-tube/macro adapter.
In reply to all:

Many thanks for all the advice - some of the answers made me realise that having a notion of 'macro' wasn't enough to actually buy something useful. After some frantic research, managed to find a second hand Tamron 90 in very good nick, which was bang-on budget.

Doesn't always get acknowledged, the depth of expertise on UKC, but much appreciated on this occasion.

Merry Christmas to all (I know, now that I've got this one sorted, that mine will be)

Martin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...