UKC

Knee replacement - recovery

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 George Wright 08 Dec 2014
I had a half left knee replacement seven days ago. Have been taking medication as directed, Went to gym Friday and Sunday ( upper body weight exercises only whilst sitting, but walking with sticks between machines). Had a bad night last night so removed compression socks and renewed dressing this morning. Want to make sure recovery is as quick as possible without doing any damage. Any advice would be welcome.
 Ally23 08 Dec 2014
In reply to George Wright:

Patience and stick religiously to physio, it will be a long recover process.
 jon 08 Dec 2014

Can't offer any advice, just encouragement. I know two guides, one Swiss and one French who have both had total knee replacements (not partial like yours). Both are climbing (and the Swiss skiing) again like they were ten years younger. The French guy had his done this time last year. He went on a trek in Morocco in late February and started climbing gently on top rope in June. He's now climbing harder than he was before the op. The trek in Morocco seemed rather soon to my mind but he seemed quite happy with it. Patience and physio as Ally23 says are the key.
 zootloop 08 Dec 2014

Definitely agree with Ally23. I had a cruciate ligament rebuild a couple of years ago. It will be a long process but you'll make good progress over the first 2 months if you do your physio every day. After that just try and maintain the momentum for the rest of the year and adjust your programme every 2 weeks to build strength.

Also - control the swelling after each session with ice and elevation - this is absolutely critical and is where I went wrong at first. If you don't, your recovery after gym sessions will be slow. Core work (pilates - ask your physio if you've not done it before) worked well for me.

A lot of hard graft ahead of you George but the reward is a knee that is as good as new. Well - almost
 Rmb1 08 Dec 2014

> I had a half left knee replacement seven days ago. Have been taking medication as directed, Went to gym Friday and Sunday ( upper body weight exercises only whilst sitting, but walking with sticks between machines). Had a bad night last night so removed compression socks and renewed dressing this morning. Want to make sure recovery is as quick as possible without doing any damage. Any advice would be welcome.

First 4 weeks are the worst, especially at night time. Take the full dosage of pain killers and take comfort in the fact it will improve week on week
Make sure you follow the exercise regime. I found daily use of an exercise bike helped mobility - set the seat high to avoid too acute a knee bend. Should be on the mend in next few weeks
Cheers
OP George Wright 08 Dec 2014

Thanks to you all for your advice. Yes, the nights can be painful but will now, reluctantly, take the painkillers. Managed to do some of the pilates moves on Sunday, will keep on with painfull physio and pull out my hand execiser. (No ribald comments please!!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...