UKC

Meds for Colds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 10 Dec 2014
Got a cold I'm taking Lemsip which contains paracetamol and will have one before I go to bed. I notice that the amount of paracetamol per dose is 1000mg.

I also fancy having a brandy(about a double measure) before bed as well. Question is whether the brandy AND the Lemsip will have any ill effect.

No silly answers PLEASE.
In reply to mypyrex:

What were your last liver function tests like? (I'm assuming you had some, given chemo). Both of these go via the liver.

That said, for most people a lemsip brandy (don't like brandy; quite like lemsip) wouldn't do any harm - although it might actually disturb your sleep patterns and lead to a little more congestion, further arseing about your breathing rhythm.

Martin

Mild cold. Drinking leftover San Miguel, which makes me wheeze like a b*st*rd.
OP mypyrex 10 Dec 2014
In reply to maisie:

> What were your last liver function tests like?

As far as I know there was no problem. On second thoughts I might save the brandy for Christmas! Let it age a bit more 8oP
 LastBoyScout 10 Dec 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Tried Lemsip once - made me feel considerably worse!

My preferred medication for a cold is Fisherman's Friend/Halls lozenges/Berocca during the day and whisky in the evening. Paracetamol or Neurofen if I have a really bad headache.

Plenty of fluids. You should feed a cold, so keep eating

icnoble 10 Dec 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Put a big dollop of honey in it.
 Philip 10 Dec 2014
As an undergraduate I attempted to cure a hangover with soluble solphadine dropped into a large glass of bells.

It didn't work and put me off Whisky for a while. Which was probably good as it saved me ruining what is now a favourite spirit, albeit I haven't drunk anything at the bells end of the scale for a long time.
 ellpeecee 10 Dec 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

1g is the usual dose for an adult. Max dose is 4g in 24hrs in four even doses (every 4-6hrs).

As maisie said, both are metabolised in the liver so care should be given not to go crazy with the booze.

Aim to get as much fluids done you as you can and try to eat to keep your energy levels up, chicken soup is the king of cold treatments.

Usual disclaimers apply as you have had chemo in the past and we're all adults
In reply to mypyrex:

Toddy, never fails*

60ml water
3 cloves
Cinnamon stick
1cm piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
1 strip of lemon peel
60ml whisky
2tsp honey
1-2 tsp lemon juice
Grating of nutmeg

1. Put the water in a small pan along with the spices and peel over a low heat. Bring to a gentle simmer. Meanwhile rinse a heatproof glass with hot water and dry.

2. Pour the whisky into your warmed glass, then pour over hot water and spices. Stir in the honey and lemon juice and taste for sweetness. Top with a little nutmeg, and breathe in deeply.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2013/jan/02/how-to-make...

*Never fails to get me p!ssed enough to forget the cold.
 marsbar 10 Dec 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

When I was younger I had one in the morning for a bad cold. I had no idea the effect it would have on an empty stomach. Getting drunk accidentally was quite funny.

I'm a fan of ginger wine and hot water myself, with or without whisky.
 marsbar 10 Dec 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

I have mixed alcohol and paracetamol before with no ill effects but as you have been seriously ill I dont know.

I have a chesty cough at the moment which is quite annoying. I'm on hot blackcurrant squash during the week.

Hope you feel better soon.
mackfras 10 Dec 2014
I make elderberry syrup each autumn. Used to get lots of wheezing but a couple of teaspoons a day seems to have stopped it. First defence nasal spray is deeply unpleasant but also seems to work for me. Not as unpleasant as a full blown cold. As for toddy's, cooking whisky couple of mashed up slices of lemon and some honey is the original and best.

marsbar 10 Dec 2014
In reply to mackfras:

Elderberry syrup sounds good. Is it the same recipe as rosehip syrup but with elderberry?
 Kimono 11 Dec 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

am fighting the lurgey myself, but i tend to stick to natural substances:

raw garlic...mashed into butter and served as very strong garlic toast!
raw aloe vera....this is the mutt's nutts as far as I'm concerned....but sadly you need to live somewhere tropical to have a steady supply of it
mugs of ginger, lemon, honey...the last before bed with a generous slug of the local grog in it (Barcelo rum!)
fresh orange, tamarind, passionfruit juices as and when
fresh coconut water...from the coconut!

So far it seems to be working

m0unt41n 13 Dec 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

Excellent - at last something useful to do with whisky!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...