UKC

Newbie suggestion: where to go this winter?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PPP 14 Dec 2014
Hi,

I have been to the UK for over 2 years and managed to explore few things around - that's where I got interested in rock climbing! I have not done any winter mountaineering, but looking to get something done this winter. I booked holidays for a week in the beginning of January and will stay in a hostel (thought about bothying, but I'd rather stay somewhere cosy and warm this time). I've got only B1/C1 set up with one axe and not looking for something even graded - interesting in just hill walking, really. Managed to bag 60~70 Munros, so pretty confident in navigation and assessing terrain.

Any ideas where to go? I live in Glasgow and don't mind travelling somewhere further North, but have no idea where. I do not drive, so that's the limitation. I was thinking about a hostel in Glen Nevis and/or Kinlochleven so it wouldn't be too difficult to get there and Munros are rather close to the towns.
 Roberttaylor 14 Dec 2014
In reply to PPP:

You can get the train to Bridge of Orchy, lots of nice wintery hills round about there. Ditto Aviemore, Fort William. Search out grade I routes or nice snowy ridges and enjoy,
OP PPP 14 Dec 2014
In reply to Roberttaylor:
Thanks Robert. Damn - I've done seven Southern ones this summer! I'd like to bag some unseen Munros (not because of the bagging thing, but because I like seeing new places). The problem with Glen Etive South is that there's little civilisation (never believed I'm going to say that!) and it would be rather difficult to get around without a car. I might hitch-hike, but the last time I hitch-hiked in Glen Etive, that included more walking rather than riding as there are very few cars over there.

I might hitch-hike to Kinlochleven, do something and then move North. Assuming weather will allow to do something. In worst case, there are few pubs and places to hang around.
Post edited at 21:30

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...