UKC

New Zealand climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wealer 14 Dec 2014
Has anybody ever sent equipment to New Zealand via freight? I want to send 2 bikes a full trad rack and a couple of chainsaws. Any experience doing this some info will be good.
 damowilk 14 Dec 2014
In reply to wealer:

I used Seven Seas when I moved over, no problems, though it can take a while, maybe 3-6 months. Just make sure everything is as clean as possible.
 ben b 15 Dec 2014
In reply to damowilk:

Assuming they are proper chainsaws be careful with the declaration - shipping containers regularly hit high 50s inside and they don't want too much petrol swimming around... will need to be fuel free and vented etc.

You can probably recoup the cost by selling the rack at the end of the trip, and still have enough to buy a replacement rack on the way back from REI in LA.

Cheers
b
 Toerag 16 Dec 2014
In reply to wealer:

sell the chainsaws and buy new ones there?
 SenzuBean 16 Dec 2014
In reply to wealer:

Never sent anything back to NZ, but can confirm that you will face a lot of hassle and quarantine issues if your gear is not absolutely spotless. Mud on shoes, bits of bark - all can cause delays and probably expensive and slow clearances.
 Cardi 16 Dec 2014
In reply to wealer:

I sent kit out about 2 years ago by air with Anglo Pacific. Sent trad rack, winter gear and boots. Stated that they had all been cleaned on tbe customs declaration and all was fast and smooth.
 floss_81 17 Dec 2014
In reply to wealer:

Send your rack over as climbing gear is mega pricey here. And bring extras while your at it. Things you will need in the future. Spare shoes, ropes etc. You can always sell it here and you will be quids in.

As for the bikes and chain saws just sell them. I looked into bringing a bike over and its cheaper to get it here. They always have deals on.

Good luck.
 ben b 18 Dec 2014
In reply to floss_81:

Yep assuming you are coming via LAX it's 15mins in a taxi / an hour in a bus to REI in Santa Monica
Set of BD nuts in Bivouac Dunedin = NZD250 (GBP123)
Set of BD nuts in REI = USD89 (GBP59)
Import declaration threshold in NZ is NZD700, so no import duties, but declare any outdoor gear and show them it is clean.
Most rock gear in NZ seems to be twice the price of the UK...

b
 floss_81 18 Dec 2014
In reply to ben b:

Tell me about it, I sold an old tatty set of WC cams on trademe and got virtually a complete set of camalots when my girlfriend went to Canada. Plus transceivers and other winter stuff.

As for tax just rip all tags off. Who says you bought it there?

Most Kiwi climbers seem to import stuff. Either UK or USA/Canada. They get friends to post or have remote postal addresses. Banana fingers post this direction as well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...