UKC

Cleaning neglected climbs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Max Clarke 17 Dec 2014
Hello.

Just a quick one, I'd like some advice regarding cleaning routes/problems if anybody can help.

My local gritstone bouldering venue has some fantastic problems, but they don't get much traffic, so some of the problems (especially the slab I want to do) are covered in gritty, crunchy lichen. I've tried the climb as it is, but all the smears feel like I've got sandy shoes.

Anybody got any recommendations for getting it cleaned up?

I'm looking for info on equipment/brushes etc as well as how best to remove the nasty gritty stuff without damaging the rock underneath.

On a related note, am I likely to upset anybody by removing this lichen? I assume it's not rare or protected, but thought I'd better check.

Hope someone can help!

Ta!
 Offwidth 17 Dec 2014
In reply to Max Clarke:

Soft bristle brush, soap and elbow grease.
 robin mueller 17 Dec 2014
In reply to Max Clarke:

If it's really stubborn, try it on a wet day when the lichen is sodden. It will likely come away pretty easily. Then come back on a dry day and give it another brush. You might want to try usiing a few different brushes - biggers ones for bigger areas and smaller ones for hand and footholds. Good luck!
 JDal 17 Dec 2014
In reply to Max Clarke:

Lots of the lichens you'd get on Gritstone cannot be physically removed without taking rock away because they are actually embedded in the rock. These are "crustose" lichens - these kinds of things: http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-22824244/stock-photo-crustose-lichen-crowin... . When you try, you just get a loose gritty surface.

The others can be removed, as others have said, with a bristle brush.
OP Max Clarke 17 Dec 2014
Thanks very much folks! All good info..

Max.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...