UKC

Berlingo 1.6 HDi engine issues?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alexm198 17 Dec 2014
Hi all,

Looking at replacing my Vivaro with something smaller and at the moment I'm erring towards a Berlingo. However, I've heard some real horror stories about the 1.6 HDi Diesel engine (namely the turbo destroying itself) and I was wondering whether anyone on here had any experience of this?

Are there any other recommendations for small, car-derived vans such as this? I suppose the Caddy is the obvious choice but there seem to be far fewer on the market.

Cheers in advance!
 Dave Ferguson 17 Dec 2014
In reply to alexm198:

got a diesel berlingo, 10 years old and over 120,000 on the clock, only ever had to replace the alternator, I'ld have another one anytime.
OP alexm198 17 Dec 2014
In reply to Dave Ferguson:

Is it the 1.6?
 Dave Ferguson 17 Dec 2014
In reply to alexm198:

mines a 1.9 diesel and I've heard horror stories about these too, but looking around there are still many of both size engines still on the road, some much older than mine.
Wulfrunian 17 Dec 2014
In reply to alexm198:
My Berlingo van's a 1.6 HDi on 87000miles. Only problem I've had in my 2 year ownership is an injector seal deforming and leaking. A common problem I gather. No problems with turbo, which I believe is the original.
Post edited at 22:42
 Tim Sparrow 17 Dec 2014
In reply to alexm198:

I am told they are pretty reliable up to 100k ..... but then get it changed quick!
 cha1n 17 Dec 2014
In reply to alexm198:

The 1.6 HDI is very particular about what oil is used, definitely more temperamental than the other diesel engined berlingos. Get one with full service history with regular oil changes (the correct oil of course) and it'll be fine.

I went for the 2.0HDI in the end and haven't had any problems so far but have only had it for 6 months. I researched lots of small vans/van styled cars before deciding on the berlingo and they are excellent value for money. I picked mine up for 1k with just over 90k on the clock. I managed to do a 360 on some ice in the Peak District over the weekend and I didn't for a minute worry about damaging the car. Just pulled the grass out of the bumper and carried on.

It's not the best car I've ever driven (very heavy clutch for example) but I get very good duel economy and I can fit tonnes of bouldering mats and people in it!

Timmd 17 Dec 2014
In reply to Tim Sparrow:

> I am told they are pretty reliable up to 100k ..... but then get it changed quick!

I think there's similar advice for Saabs too, but it might be 150k for Saabs.
OP alexm198 18 Dec 2014
In reply to cha1n:

Yeah, from what I've read, regular oil and filter changes do seem to keep the 1.6 happy.

Do you have the pre-2008 Berlingo or the newer one? Some stuff on the web seems to suggest that the engines in the newer models are slightly more reliable than the older ones but that oil contamination and subsequent turbo failure is still an issue if not correctly looked after.

I'm half tempted to go for a petrol engine instead but the loss in fuel economy and the increase in road tax are putting me off!
 Dave Williams 18 Dec 2014
In reply to alexm198:

You are completely justified to be very wary of this engine, which suffers from similar issues in all its applications - Ford, Volvo, Mazda as well as Citroen-Peugeot. It appears to be highly intolerant of poor or incorrect servicing and problems quickly arise if poor quality or incorrect grade engine oil has been used or if preventative maintenance hasn't been carried out during servicing. Unfortunately, when buying a used vehicle, a FSH, even a main dealer FSH, is no guarantee that the engine's been serviced in such a way as to avoid premature turbo failure.

In terms of size, appearance and general drivability a Berlingo-Partner was at the top of my list when I was looking for a van. But after in-depth research and having spoken with a mechanic at a local main dealer, I decided to avoid anything fitted with the 1.6Hdi engine. (The 90 bhp 2.0Hdi, fitted to older vehicles, is a stonking engine and doesn't suffer from the same issues as the smaller capacity, newer engine.)

No modern diesel engine from any manufacturer is free of issues as manufacturers try and squeeze more economy from highly tuned (and consequently highly stressed) small capacity engines while on the other hand aiming for much reduced emissions. However, the difference in fuel economy between EU and Japanese/ Korean diesels is quite striking and I do wonder whether Japanese/ Korean diesel cars are so reliable because they don't push the same boundaries as cars made in the EU. However, this doesn't really help as you can't buy a Berlingo-sized van from a Japanese or Korean manufacturer.

All modern diesel engines are inherently reliable though; the weak points are typically not the engine but the ancilliary parts - belts, tensioners, turbos, high pressure injectors, let alone DMFs and DPFs. At the end of the day, it's simply a case of weighting up the pros and cons and going for what seems to be the best case option.

FWIW, after careful consideration, I bought a 1.5Dci Renault Kangoo van (80bhp version). Sites like Honest John speak well of the performance, reliability and economy of this small diesel engine, which incidentally is also fitted to some Nissan and Mercedes vehicles. I've never regretted my decision. My van was bought with 60K on the clock and, despite what's commonly believed about Renaults in general, I've had no issues, mechanical nor electrical after a further 40K miles in less than 30 months. However, as a precaution, the oil is changed every 5K miles (old school interval) and the engine is always idled to allow the turbo to cool down before switching off.

HTH

Dave
 Timmd 18 Dec 2014
In reply to Dave Williams:

UKC is great for this kind of post.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...