UKC

Icefall in The Hobbit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BusyLizzie 21 Dec 2014
UKC must be getting to my brain; when I saw the huge frozen waterfall near the end of the film the thought that popped into my head was "Kinder Downfall is in".
abseil 21 Dec 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> UKC must be getting to my brain; when I saw the huge frozen waterfall near the end of the film the thought that popped into my head was "Kinder Downfall is in".

That's really funny [and I'd love to see Hobbits running all over Kinder Downfall]. But then like many on here I suspect, when I see mountains in movies I just look at the climbing potential and start ignoring the movie...
In reply to BusyLizzie:

As I watched the movie all I thought was "How long until this becomes a thread on UKC".
abseil 22 Dec 2014
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

> As I watched the movie all I thought was "How long until this becomes a thread on UKC".

Which mirrors what BusyLizzie originally said, "UKC must be getting to my brain"....
OP BusyLizzie 22 Dec 2014
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

I was also very worried about Bilbo's abseiling technique, or rather his lack of it.
abseil 22 Dec 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> I was also very worried about Bilbo's abseiling technique, or rather his lack of it.

Right. I'm not sure I'd like to climb with him. I'd climb with Gandalf any day, though.
In reply to abseil:

>. I'd climb with Gandalf any day, though.

Really, with all those trailing robes? I can just see him getting his feet tangled and expecting me to sort it out and getting cross and then expecting to stop and smoke a pipe at each belay. Anyway, after that film I am going climbing with Kili just as soon as I can arrange it.

abseil 22 Dec 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> >. I'd climb with Gandalf any day, though.

> Really, with all those trailing robes? I can just see him getting his feet tangled....

Yes good point - I might rethink this. But I was hoping Gandalf would prevent me ever hitting the ground and could also magically make jugs appear above overhangs.

Perhaps Aragorn is a better bet? (I can't believe I'm writing this stuff [beats working though])
In reply to abseil:

Ah, yes, how could I forget Aragorn? Oh yes please. I will climb with him any day.

Yes, yes, this is the sort of escapism that inevitably happens when one is trying to work on 22 December!!
abseil 22 Dec 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> ....this is the sort of escapism that inevitably happens when one is trying to work on 22 December!!

I'm thinking Sam for camping trips - good cooking and wilderness survival skills. (Not escapism though - this is the real world - who was that Spanish author who argued that his creations in novels were more real than supposedly 'real' people?!)
 mountainbagger 22 Dec 2014
In reply to abseil:

Yes, Gandalf would definitely not take any sh*t from foreign guides trying to push past on busy routes.

YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!
abseil 23 Dec 2014
In reply to mountainbagger:

> Yes, Gandalf would definitely not take any sh*t from foreign guides trying to push past on busy routes.

> YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!

There you go! Thank you. That settles it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...