UKC

Take more photographs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Al Evans 21 Dec 2014
I have been climbing for over 50 years, and probably have more photographs than most, but a recent run through of my 'memories' photos showed up huge gaps. Stuff like significant ascents (for me). I was sad that there were big gaps missing, some probably didn't seem significant at the time. So this is a memo 'take more pictures'. This is especially easy in the digital age, Don't leave those cameras in the rucsac, get them out and get snapping, make an effort now and you will be glad of them in your dotage.
 alan moore 21 Dec 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Had a similar epiphany recently and wished there were more pictures to remember it all...
Also noticed that on the harder routes, gripped up and tense, the first thing to get left behind is the camera. I have a good collection of Classic Rock pics but most of the really memorable routes, and solo's, obviously, never produced any pictures at all.
Removed User 21 Dec 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

The problem is that I have always had this weird sense that if I take photos on a route I'm jinxing the outcome.
 caradoc 21 Dec 2014
In reply to Al Evans: Totally agree, I could have written your post. I made a conscious effort to take more shots a few years ago, as you say it's a bit more economical with digital photography. I climbed the Dent de Geant a few years ago, probably one of the most photogenic routes in the Alps and was horrified to discover my partner hadn't bothered to bring a camera. I could hardly believe it, but he shrugged his shoulders and said I could pass my shots on to him. I still find it incomprehensible how you can go to a place like that without a camera and risk getting no shots to record your ascent.

In reply to Al Evans:

Agreed: last summer a group of us met up - from four countries in three continents - to re-climb a route which was instrumental in forming international friendships, and only one person brought a camera. Which was only brought out just below the summit.

But I'd add: take more photos, but edit them fairly ruthlessly. Better a few good shots of a great moment than rivers of crap to wade through. A quick look at the galleries on UKC demonstrates how the better photographers carry that principle and the, er, less good snappers don't.

Martin
 Only a hill 21 Dec 2014
In reply to maisie:
> But I'd add: take more photos, but edit them fairly ruthlessly. Better a few good shots of a great moment than rivers of crap to wade through.

That's why I've returned to using 35mm cameras again. In addition to the superior image quality (compared to the digital compacts I've used in the past, anyway) every shot has a cost, so you make them count. Two months of shooting film again has improved my photography more than fourteen years shooting digital.

But that being said, I agree with Al's original post. I take a camera everywhere and always take some shots every time I go on the hill. I've also kept a hill/crag journal since day one.
Post edited at 19:43
OP Al Evans 21 Dec 2014
In reply to Only a hill:

I agree with you that the discipline instilled by the use of film has sadly been lost by digital pix, but my original point remains, once a moment is gone it is gone forever better to record it than let it go.
 Bulls Crack 21 Dec 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

But you remembered them Al so not lost at all?
 Stevie989 21 Dec 2014
In reply to Bulls Crack:
I would say so.

I work as a photographer so I get the power of an image but in my own life I don't go big into photographs.

I probably should take more 'climbing' photos but then I think 'well I know I've done it, what does it matter If I have a photo'.

That being said - take a look through the old photos on the Etive slabs, some great memory's there. Which I envy.
Post edited at 20:14
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 21 Dec 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Interestingly I am getting set up for dumping hundreds (thousands even maybe) of my slides - they have sat in cupboards for years and years without ever being looked at - time to let them go I reckon,

Chris
In reply to Chris Craggs:

If in doubt, don't do it!
 jon_gill1 21 Dec 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

I quite agree and wish more people would do this.I quite often take pictures of random people climbing and then get their email addresses to forward pics onto! There have been so many points that I wish people had taken pics of what I consider to be pivotal points in my climbing history!
In reply to Al Evans:

Please take more photos of climbing in Devon and Cornwall. The moors and West Penwith especially.

They get me through my shifts
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> But you remembered them Al so not lost at all?

Being able to remember that you did it is not the same as remebering the details that come back with the nudge of a photo or diary entry. I recently had a skim through a climbing diary from 2003 and was amazed at how much I had forgotten and how the little memory I had varied from the facts.
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> Interestingly I am getting set up for dumping hundreds (thousands even maybe) of my slides - they have sat in cupboards for years and years without ever being looked at - time to let them go I reckon,
>
>
> Chris

You probably have more than the average climber?
 noteviljoe 22 Dec 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

I have a terrible memory so my natural urge is to take lots of photos.

My regular climbing partner takes none. His argument is that he wants to enjoy the moment rather than record it.

I can kind of see his point as I sometimes find myself slipping into what has been called an 'absent present' where instead of living in the now I am constantly thinking about how this present moment might look framed for consumption by some absent other (a future me or other others on social media)
 Michael Gordon 22 Dec 2014
In reply to noteviljoe:

>
> My regular climbing partner takes none. His argument is that he wants to enjoy the moment rather than record it.

> I can kind of see his point as I sometimes find myself slipping into what has been called an 'absent present' where instead of living in the now I am constantly thinking about how this present moment might look framed for consumption by some absent other (a future me or other others on social media)

I think climbing is often as much about looking forward to a route and the retrospective enjoyment afterwards than it is about the here and now - if there is only enjoyment in the moment then there would seem to be little satisfaction gained from the activity. Of course the most powerful experience is in the present, but photos are a brilliant way of prolonging retrospective enjoyment.

The best way of avoiding the pitfall you mention is to not use social media.
 goose299 22 Dec 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

I've only been climbing a few years but I've been awful for taking photo's.
Got a handful but wish I'd taken loads more
pasbury 22 Dec 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

There's also the idea to 'never delete' any digital photos, which I would have scoffed at a couple of years ago as my hard drive filled up with hundreds of pictures of my kids. But now you can get a couple of terabytes for 50 quid storage is no longer a problem.
When you look back over these candidates for deletion many years later there could be very vivid memories associated with them that are quite unrelated to the quality of the image.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/why-you-should-never-delete-dodgy-digital-phot...
OP Al Evans 22 Dec 2014

> Interestingly I am getting set up for dumping hundreds (thousands even maybe) of my slides - they have sat in cupboards for years and years without ever being looked at - time to let them go I reckon,

> Chris

There is a difference between culling the crap and saving what are true great memories that are not perfect pictures.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 22 Dec 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

I hope you're not suggesting I take 'crap'!

Chris
 Bulls Crack 22 Dec 2014
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

True enough. I was just saying that photo's aren't everything and that sometimes I suspect the imperative to take them gets in the way of experience
In reply to Bulls Crack:

I guess it is getting the balance right. I think that is why I prefer the diary/log approach which is done after the event (although I'm pretty poor at doing it)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...