UKC

Wavering down

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Anyone (maybe deepstar?) Know how far the little crag at Wavering down is from the trig point? Its not marked on the map I have. Thanks
 deepstar 23 Dec 2014
In reply to Somerset swede basher:

If you mean the White Crag it's about half a kilometre from the trig point.It's just N,N,W of Bourton Farm.
 gaz.marshall 23 Dec 2014

I'm intrigued! My folks live in Barton (just on the North side of Wavering Down) and I spent hours up there walking and running as a kid. Any photos or rough GR? I'm popping down after Xmas so would be amused by some Mendip esoterica.

On a similar note, anyone ever explored the craglets at Barton Rocks? There's a wee cave that I used to doss in as a kid at the base of a short steep wall. I can't really remember, it might be uber choss.
In reply to gaz.marshall:

I've just found my parents 1:25000 and there is a feature marked on there where deepstar describes that could be the crag, I'm going there tomorrow for a walk with my wife and parents (different people - I like to clarify as it is Somerset!) so I'll let you know.
 gaz.marshall 23 Dec 2014

Cool, cheers!
 deepstar 23 Dec 2014
 deepstar 23 Dec 2014

The map reference for The White Cliff is ST 4099 5550
 The Pylon King 23 Dec 2014

Faces east/south-east.
 gaz.marshall 24 Dec 2014
In reply to deepstar:

Aye, that looks about right. As I feared: uber choss!
In reply to deepstar:

Had a nice little play here this pm. Easy to find though the first 3 routes are really close together so hard to pick an exact line. Probably wouldn't go back though.

Anyone got any tips for finding the Wolf Den? Had a look where the path crossroads is but only got scratched to bits. Tried the other end of the outcrop and found a small cave at the bottom of Crompton Cliff (the same place as the photo) but I don't think that was it looking at the photo on here. I'm guessing I was probably not far away!
 deepstar 24 Dec 2014

> Had a nice little play here this pm. Easy to find though the first 3 routes are really close together so hard to pick an exact line. Probably wouldn't go back though.

> Anyone got any tips for finding the Wolf Den? Had a look where the path crossroads is but only got scratched to bits. Tried the other end of the outcrop and found a small cave at the bottom of Crompton Cliff (the same place as the photo) but I don't think that was it looking at the photo on here. I'm guessing I was probably not far away!

I think you found The Wolves Den, it is at the bottom of a gully on the right side of the crag,it does'nt look much from outside but is very cosy inside and you can see why the Wolves would have chosen it.
 deepstar 24 Dec 2014

That's it I'm afraid.
In reply to deepstar:

Looks like I must have gone down and back up Wolf Den Gully to get there too.
 The Pylon King 25 Dec 2014

Someone needs to put a route up there so it can go in the new guide
 leland stamper 25 Dec 2014
In reply to The Pylon King:
May have a look on Sunday. Found North quarry below Crook Peak. Think that still has space.

I'm sure you could...would it be worth it though?
 The Pylon King 26 Dec 2014

> I'm sure you could...would it be worth it though?

Yeah its always worth it.

I reckon every bit of climbable rock in the Mendips should have a recorded route on it.
 The Pylon King 26 Dec 2014
In reply to leland stamper:

> May have a look on Sunday. Found North quarry below Crook Peak. Think that still has space.

On the big slabby back wall?

Did you see the three bolted routes on there?
 leland stamper 26 Dec 2014

Yes,the new easier sport routes-look long with a lot of clipping. Still space for routes and less wet and green than I thought.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...