UKC

Lakes today

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Cowley 26 Dec 2014
Anyone been up the lakes today? What were conditions like, any ice, snow frozen turf? Heading up there tomorrow with an open mind
 Slioch 26 Dec 2014
In reply to David Cowley:

I walked the Kentmere Horseshoe on Wednesday and didn't see anything looking like winter.
 Wesley Orvis 26 Dec 2014
The snow is back and it's been cold since Christmas eve but I doubt any climbing will be in yet.
 machine 27 Dec 2014

I was up the Mournes in Northern Ireland yesterday in blizzard conditions. Everything over 500 meters was plastered If that weather system has followed across into the lakes then conditions should be good given the cold temps that have followed.

Anybody seen how snowy the Western fells were looking? Toying with driving round to Wasdale this evening...

Thanks

NMM
 dougyt26 27 Dec 2014
Depending on reports on here from climbers that have been up to day I'll be trying to get out tomorrow to, but it will have to be a solo as a friend has played I'm not going to answer my phone all week and not ring you back even though we made plans suppose it's better than last winter waiting for him in a car park for 2 hours and not even reciving a text.
 wupert 27 Dec 2014

Just been for a look at Brown Cove crags this morning, it looked good, pretty and white! But unfortunately the turf is a long way off, still felt warm to the touch!

It was also a lot warmer than forecast, I reckon it was plus 2 at 800m
 Billhook 27 Dec 2014

So i suggest you head uphill with an open mind.
In reply to wupert:

Thanks. Was the snow wet?

NMM
 Doghouse 27 Dec 2014
In reply to dougyt26:

He sounds like a hell of a mate!
 blackcat 27 Dec 2014
In reply to dougyt26: Do yourself a favour, an find a new climbing mate.

tehmarks 27 Dec 2014
In reply to dougyt26:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/i.php?f=5 - you might find that useful
 machine 27 Dec 2014

At present it is hammering down with snow at all levels here in Northern Ireland via a north westerly wind. Temp is hanging around 0 to 1 so stand by as it should be on its way to you guys next.
 gammarus 27 Dec 2014
In reply to machine:

Hmm ... we'll see ... MWIS says no snowfall for the Lakes Monday or Tuesday

gammarus 27 Dec 2014

Daily updates from Helvellyn may help: http://www.lakedistrictweatherline.co.uk/
 John Kelly 27 Dec 2014
Very little frozen at top Harrison Stickle 736m certainly no turf frozen and now well insulated by snow- rock climbing?

https://www.facebook.com/NTLakescampsites/photos/pcb.878472525507851/878471...

snow on summit harrison stickle
https://www.facebook.com/NTLakescampsites/photos/pcb.878472525507851/878472...
Post edited at 15:35
 chris smith 27 Dec 2014
Went up to try pinnacle ridge on gable crag today and was a waste of time. Turf was nowhere near frozen and now is insulated below the snow. There was very little ice around a very thin layer on some of the rocks on the route but nowhere near in nick!
Walked up and onto green gable afterwards and much the same nothing frozen anywhere. No need for crampons at all. Hope it picks up.
 dougyt26 27 Dec 2014
In reply to tehmarks:

Ya I think I'll give that a go thanks it would be grate to find a winter climbing partner in Newcastle shared petrol and all. Think I will stay in and wait for worse weather.
 Simnel 27 Dec 2014
Went up Halls Fell Ridge and Sharp Edge today which were in decent nick but nothing else on..turf not frozen, Nice to get out again though...ridges should be fine tomorrow looking at the forecasts.

John Kelly 28 Dec 2014

I went rock climbing on a sunny Raven crag but
Bowfell about 1 hr ago
https://www.facebook.com/NTLakescampsites/photos/pcb.879287642093006/879287...
 Wesley Orvis 28 Dec 2014
Went up bowfell and crinkle crags today snow soft and not a real lot of it either. Ice about and some small bits of frozen turf were exposed generally not looking great. although it did look like some very high lines on long tops North side would have been climbable. Lots of ice and the turf was frozen at the bottom of the crag. Although majority totally out of Nick some steep North facing lines might be doable and a team was on a route on North buttress on bowfell and reported poor but climbable conditions. Very little snow in the North and West of the park most in the south by far. Very cold temps this evening but need more snow and more time. Blencathra looked stripped by the sun by the end of day.

Post edited at 20:16
 tomwalton 29 Dec 2014
Considering brown cove crags early doors tomorrow for some grade I/II slopes.

Anyone had a look today?
 Purple 29 Dec 2014
In reply to tomwalton:

Nope, but Pinnacle Ridge on St. Sunday was a fine wintery choice today.
 Wesley Orvis 29 Dec 2014
In reply to tomwalton:
helvellyn Saturday. Bowfell and crinkles yesterday and old man, Dow and brim fell today and not really seen anything climbable anywhere and have been looking. Unless you climb hard then some steep lines on bowfell North buttress looked possible. Pinnacle ridge or striding edge would be best bet. Or sharp edge but that's practically stripped too now.
Post edited at 18:55
 TobyA 29 Dec 2014
In reply to Wesley Orvis:

What did the Viking Buttress area look like Wes? Been debating where might be possible for tomorrow.
 Wesley Orvis 29 Dec 2014
In reply to TobyA:
Looked nicely rimed up on Saturday helvellyn by far as the best snow cover too If anywhere is going to be in its places like that and high steep North facing crags. The sun has been pretty strong in between the fog.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203352255983905&id=1136236859&set=a...

This area of the highest crinkle looked and felt in from the bottom but would only be about a30m pitch. A few small pockets about but few and far between imo.
Post edited at 19:32
 paulh.0776 29 Dec 2014
Hi Wesley :

A few images from Fairfield Round on Sat, a good covering of powder on the summit, though no frozen turf at summit level, a bit of powder snow in the north/east facing gullies but not consolidated, some small cornices formed over the east facing gullies, we need a good dump, a little thaw then a big freeze

images at: http://paulhorsmanphotographer.blogspot.co.uk
Post edited at 19:41
 TobyA 29 Dec 2014

Cheers Wes. We're going to go and have a look tomorrow somewhere anyway! Good to do some exercise walking up if nothing else.
 Bob Bennett 29 Dec 2014
In reply to tomwalton:

Went up to Nethermost Cove to find nothing in condition. Not much snow in gullies and snow soft and unconsolidated up Nethermost Ridge/down Striding Edge
 Tom the tall 29 Dec 2014
Six degrees in keswick this evening, compared with minus three same time last night.
 Wesley Orvis 29 Dec 2014

-1 in Kendal now
 tomwalton 29 Dec 2014
In reply to Bob Bennett:

Will hopefully find some thing in on brown cove with it being NE facing, if not a nice cold walk
 Wesley Orvis 29 Dec 2014

I doubt it will be in to be honest needs freeze thaw and more snow. Something a little steeper maybe.
 gammarus 30 Dec 2014
In reply to Bob Bennett:
Hi Bob. I was on Catstycam and Swirral today - snow as you reported on Monday, soft and unconsolidated - OK for walking but nothing climbable - and there's a heap of rain on the way.

No ice at all on Cautley Spout [just up the road from here]

Steve
Post edited at 18:18

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...