UKC

Condition report - Sottoguda, Dolomites

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Casa Alfredino 28 Dec 2014
Hi guys, we've just posted our first proper conditions report of the season - it's been a slow start to the season with warm temperatures during November and early December meaning what little formed, soon disappeared again. We now seem to be settling into a Southern high pressure holding pattern, meaning little snow but extended cold and we have forecasts of sub zero temps for at least the next week so conditions should start to fatten up nicely in time for the Sottuguda Ice Climbing Meet - if you want any information about the meet please don't hesitate to ask!

http://www.casa-alfredino.co.uk/uncategorized/ice-beginning-to-form-with-ex...
In reply to Casa Alfredino:

Things have been improving steadily here all week with cold conditions and a brief two day thaw on Friday and Saturday. Things are beginning to shape up nicely! Not much snow around so it looks like its going to be an ice climbing year with cold, clear, crisp days. Check it out...

http://www.casa-alfredino.co.uk/uncategorized/conditions-report-04012015/
 GarethP 31 Jan 2015

Hi,
A mate and I are due to fly out to the Dolomites for a long weekend's ice climbing on Thursday 5th Feb so any update on conditions would be great.

Thanks,
Gareth
In reply to GarethP:

Hi Gareth - I was up in the gorge 2 days ago and all the major lines are complete. We've got some super low temps forecast for this coming week - -19 one night! Catedrale has seen ascents on all the lines, excaliber is receiving regular ascents, as is Cascata della attraversare. Else where, I went past the Digonera falls today which look to be in excellent condition, and I went past the Santa Christina falls about a week ago - the left hand side was complete but the main waterchute was still not fully formed - it's pretty low there though. I don't think you will be struggling. Where are you off to?
In reply to GarethP:

Skiing wise the snow has been falling at last. It's still not exactly super fat, but we had one night with a foot of snow. Two nights ago we had a nice 4-5 inch freshener and we have quite a lot forecast for the end of the week.
 GarethP 01 Feb 2015

Thank you very much for the information. We have no firm plans other than that we are staying near Canazei. I had looked at doing Clean Gully but as always it all depends on the ice and snow conditions. Thanks again, Gareth
In reply to GarethP:

Hi Gareth - had to google this route! Looks like a stonker... so ice - I have no idea whether it would be formed or not. However having said that I think you've got a pretty good chance as its super high and it's been cold for a long while now at that altitude. The snow is still powdery in the shade even down here at 1100 metres, and the Sella Pass has seen more snow than we have here so it might be a tough walk in. But I think once you get there you won't have issues on the actual route...
 GarethP 02 Feb 2015
That's great, thanks again
A blog for the recent conditions. The season is now in full flow with all the major lines in Sottoguda seeing regular ascents. I also went over to climb the Digonera falls, a 3+ about 5 minutes drive from the house with a super short walk in - a really nice route and much quieter than the gorge!

http://www.casa-alfredino.co.uk/ice-climbing/mid-season-conditions-10th-feb...
Post edited at 15:10

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...