UKC

M6 Toll Road

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 29 Dec 2014
When travelling through the midlands I usually try to use the M6 Toll Road. I find that the £5.50 for cars is worth it in terms of frustration and exasperation. However, coming back up north from Tunbridge Wells via the M40 today I completely missed it and realised I was on the old M6 when I saw Fort Dunlop and other landmarks.

Thinking back it occurred to me that the toll road is very poorly signed from the M40, if at all.

I'd be grateful for any observations from others who use these routes.
 BusyLizzie 29 Dec 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Interesting - it is quite confusing, but my impression was that the Toll Road is the "do nothing" option when going northwards on the M42 from the M40, and you have to positively take an exit if you wnnt the old M6. But I may be wrong.

I used to use the Toll Road but have come to the conclusion that it is no longer worth it because the M42/M6 journey around Birmingham is now greatly improved by the "managed motorways" system.
L
 Skipinder 29 Dec 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

What BusyLizzie says.

Go towards the M6/M42 North and you can't miss it.
OP mypyrex 29 Dec 2014
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> Interesting - it is quite confusing, but my impression was that the Toll Road is the "do nothing" option when going northwards on the M42 from the M40, and you have to positively take an exit if you wnnt the old M6.

You are probably right. I may have made the mistake of following "M6" instead of staying on the M42

> I used to use the Toll Road but have come to the conclusion that it is no longer worth it because the M42/M6 journey around Birmingham is now greatly improved by the "managed motorways" system.

Disagree there; especially today. They appear to be "smartening" the old M6 from Spaghetti Junction for someway north. This resulted in a protracted speed restricted length followed by overhead gantries indicating "Queues Ahead - 40 mph" As far as I could see the only thing that caused the queues was the illuminated speed restriction signs.

These were still being used by the time I got to Stoke(and beyond)when, out of exasperation, I left the motorway and headed "cross country".
OP mypyrex 29 Dec 2014
In reply to Skipinder:

> What BusyLizzie says.

> Go towards the M6/M42 North and you can't miss it.

Yes, should have stayed on M42 longer.
 tehmarks 29 Dec 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

I went up to the Peak from London via the M40 a couple of weeks ago and thought it was very well signposted?
 earlsdonwhu 29 Dec 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

I think they try to stitch you up with the toll road....... Signs often proclaim that it is running smoothly/ empty but they never tell you that the M6 is running freely. ( You may say it never does flow freely but at 3am etc...... )
 jcw 29 Dec 2014
In reply to mypyrex:
Franky I round thé problem was the othe way round, a multiple of signs that were unreadable coming back down trying to get the M40 and found myself M1 bound
 Ian Parsons 30 Dec 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

I've always thought that the road designation - if that's the correct term - is confusion waiting to happen. You have what in any other part of the country would be regarded as separate motorways sharing - sort of - the same number: M6 and M6 Toll; when unfamiliar, and suddenly requiring a decision, they're quite easy to get mixed up. No problem - apart from the toll - when driving from Manchester to London, for example, but a real pain if you were actually heading for Bristol!
 marsbar 30 Dec 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

If it makes you feel better I managed to get on the bloomin thing in the wrong direction once. Had to pay double.

It goes East West for much of the way, yet is signposted North South.
 marsbar 30 Dec 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

The A50 is another good option and free.
 Banned User 77 30 Dec 2014
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

I used to use either depending on what the traffic on the radio said.. I think that toll has worked so the M6 is often pretty goon anyway..

The problem can be knowing if you need to use it.. Sometimes the M6 makes more sense depending on where you are going..
 Neil Williams 30 Dec 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

They're fitting Managed Motorways kit, which will from my experience on the M25 make the bit through Brum flow far better. Which might reduce the need to pay your £5.50, though I sometimes still go that way if I intend on stopping for the services, as Norton Canes is very pleasant.

Neil
 Neil Williams 30 Dec 2014
In reply to marsbar:

Adds ~10 miles compared with going through Brum, though. That said if you're after pleasant places to stop, the big services by East Midlands Airport is another one.

Neil
OP mypyrex 30 Dec 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

> I sometimes still go that way if I intend on stopping for the services, as Norton Canes is very pleasant.
Agreed
OP mypyrex 30 Dec 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

Had fish and chips at Warwick - an abomination.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...